Is the mod good?

Was thinking about saving up some money and buying the game, I've watched a few videos but none have really given me any good hard info from what I've seen so I ask, Is the mod good? Like is it good,fun,stable or balanced,etc?

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
It's great but currently is a bit buggy on dueling side. I've been playing this game for 3 years so in my opinion its very fun and good, i recommend you to give it a try

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Fun is subjective. I think this game is super-duper fun, considerably more fun than almost any other game I've played. But it's hard!!!!!!!

And the balance is... kinda dubious!!!!!! By which I mean, especially if you play as a gunner, you might die to things like suddenly being cornered by a Droideka/SBD/Wook/suicidal-red-style-saberist, popped by a sniper from some unexpected angle, or flanked/ambushed by a Jedi/Sith. You might die to a newbie teammate accidentally shooting/slashing you. You might die to a wild grenade bouncing over to you. In my opinion, the balance of the game seems to be most reliable if you play as part of an at-least-2-man closely-coordinated squad, with at least one saberist (Jedi/Sith) on the squad. A saberist and a gunner working together competently is more reliable and feels more balanced than a lone saberist (or even moreso a lone gunner). The game is not balanced for all "1v1" situations. Certain "power" classes like saberists, Wooks, SBDs, Dekas, and even uh CR3 clone troopers all definitely feel "overpowering" in 1v1s. But again, it works out pretty well once you start using teamwork to complement each other's strengths and weaknesses.

So balance-wise I could say "it's a team game," but with the caveat that honestly most players don't play it as such because they can get pretty good mileage off of either loner saberist or semi-loner sniper. Or because they're just newbies and have no idea what they're doing either way.

Stability isn't an issue in my experience.

The big key element is just that it's extremely exciting, and varied, and skillful.

Here's a recent vid from Gargos showing some exciting plays.

There's also this opinion vid which is full of the kinds of "hard info" (opinions plus basic facts) you're probably looking for.

Last edited:
I can imagine new players being very frustrated when first starting out. It's really all confusing at first, but if you are a patient and determined person, you'll get the basics within a month asuming you read the guides and ask some people for tips.
Regarding balance, it really depends who you ask. I personally don't let it impact my playtime, if it is unbalanced - it's not THAT unbalanced to break it for me. I just hate flinch is all, everything else I can live with. xD

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Was thinking about saving up some money and buying the game
It's like 8 euros on Gog. That's the price of one beer. Has your country devalued your currency lately? :D
Star Wars™: Jedi Knight™ - Jedi Academy™

I've been playing this game for 13 years. I'd say it's got a decent lasting power.

The game's good balanced fun with a hellishly high skill ceiling. It's one of those gitgud games where you shouldn't pin your failures on external factors and always look inward to improve your play. That way you'll maximize your enjoyment. Otherwise you'll find yourself complaining about stacked teams, imbalance, hackers, poor maps and what not. Set out to have fun and challenge yourself every round to make better calls and overcome your mistakes. With that approach you'll have an absolute blast.

I said this mod was one of the best games I'd ever played when I first started Movie Battling. That was 17 months ago and I still very much stand by that opinion. The game as said above balances with team play. It's especially fun when you coordinate with mates over voice chat.

The game is very diverse, offering different modes, a range of maps (not just based in canon, but legends too. Some maps aren't even Star Wars as you may find out sooner or later). You can play for fun, competitively or casually. There are always servers populated and people to play. The amount of long time players shows how 'good' this mod is.

In the current build there are a few issues, mainly in the dueling area. But hey what's a free mod without its own bugs every couple of patches xD.

Take PuNk's warning to heart, the game is confusing for new players and it can be frustrating when you suddenly die having no clue why. Situations where you empty whole clips of your blaster at one soldier who then hits you 3 times with a pistol and kills you may happen. My advice is to start with easy classes with multiple lives and just keep at it. You learn a ton in just the first week of playing, and as you can see many of us regular players have found it very worth while.

Been playing this mod for 11 years and it never gets old. Just spend those 8 euros and give it a try bud, you definitely won't regret it.

don't forget about clans reincarnating over the span of 8 years (GAR im looking at u)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's one of the very few games I can't stop coming back to, even after a year-long break.
The skill ceiling is very high but the time you pour into the game usually translates into increasing enjoyment as you start working out what you'd been doing wrong all this time.
That being said, you have to be dedicated to the game and be willing to learn a whole lot to even start considering yourself "average" :D - much like other online competitive games such as CS or Dota 2.