Why is the widescreen UI stretched in OpenJK (MBII client) but not in JAMP

As i remember devs explained it earlier, OpenJK gets updates from time to time and including the widescreen fix for every build is way too much work. Not to mention OpenJK needs to be forked to work with mb2. Correct me if im wrong.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
fix for every build is way too much work.
Not just too much work, there are also legal reasons.

JAMP does not provide API for widescreen-specific things, so widescreen fix for JAMP is made with binary hacks.
Linking to JAMP is regulated by RavenSoft EULA, which, I guess, allows such things.

But OpenJK is GPLed, that means you can't link any proprietary (except the things that are listed explicitly in GPL) software to OpenJK, as well as you can't link OpenJK to a proprietary software. And Movie Battles is proprietary, devs do not want to release source code...
Adding new API on both sides, in OpenJK and in MBII dlls would be a violation of GPL (remember, GPL covers dynamic linking too, not just static link! This is important!). So the only chance to implement widescreen fix on OpenJK is to do it entirely at single side, doesn't matter would it be OpenJK's .exe or MBII's .dll. I assume this is not possible, both modules should be aware about this new feature to make it work.

Jedi Academy going open source is a pretty funny and tricky thing; this is something all mod makers craved for years, dreaming about all those opportunities that would be available. But when it finally happened, turned out not every mod may capitalize on that, because you need to be GPL in order to connect a mod and an engine using new API.
Not to mention OpenJK needs to be forked to work with mb2. Correct me if im wrong.
Wrong.
Vanilla OpenJK works with MBII perfectly, though it requires to perform some small actions to make it launch (copying rd-vanilla_x86.dll to and removing rd-vanilla-mbii_x86.dll from GameData).
MBII Client is nothing but a fork of OpenJK btw.

Related threads:
[SOLVED] - Hud is still stretched out and disproportionate
Technical Issue - Widescreen UI on my resolution

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
JAMP does not provide API for widescreen-specific things, so widescreen fix for JAMP is made with binary hacks.

Not entirely true. There is no fix required for JAMP, its just an either or proposition. Either widescreen or not widescreen UI images. MB2 has widescreen UI elements since most people have widescreen display equipment.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Not entirely true. There is no fix required for JAMP, its just an either or proposition. Either widescreen or not widescreen UI images. MB2 has widescreen UI elements since most people have widescreen display equipment.
But... buuuuut... ent, who is MBII team member, just like you are, said this, literally:

"I made the runtime patch for the ratiofix for JAMP.
Each time OpenJK gets recompiled (updated binaries) all the addresses that have to be patched become different, and finding them all the time and adding to MBII is just a waste of time. JAMP was compiled once in 2003.
Why does it work with jaMME (fonts are aligned more precisely there than in JAMP, btw)? Because I have created custom API (that extends base API), and that does not require runtime patches.
OpenJK devs could also make extended API for the ratio fix. They made it only for fonts and only recently (this year iirc). But there also must be ratio fixes for rotated images (2 types) for the HUD/minimap.

There were/are no rumors. It was always clear as is. At least for those who asked questions."
Link: Technical Issue - Widescreen UI on my resolution

He literally said that he made runtime patch for JAMP. You know, literally.

So at this point, I just:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
I don't know what ent was on about. There is no patch for HUD ratio in MBII. The only two client side fixes in code are to fix an exploit that allows people to force client clients to join the wrong server, and one to make black text more readable.

ent

Movie Battles II Team
I don't know what ent was on about. There is no patch for HUD ratio in MBII. The only two client side fixes in code are to fix an exploit that allows people to force client clients to join the wrong server, and one to make black text more readable.
What? There are at least 3 patches for HUD: one for making rotated images not stretched, another one for making font not stretched and another one for hiding the demo recoring message. There is also an unsued patch for the feature that is still lying under the dust.

Last edited: