•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue Need help playing on servers!

Please tell me what I did wrong:

I installed movie battles 2, opened the file (didn't see the need to open winrar) I copy pasted all the contents into GameData for steamapps, and I deleted all the old stuff that was on there for the main game, then I clicked on "MBIILauncher" it downloaded, I opened it, it worked. BUT, when I try to join a game, it tells me "please start the game via launcher and keep it running!", and it won't let me play.

Wuz wrong? Please help!

Is the launcher still running in the background?

It's part of their anti-cheat I believe.

You could always just try switch engines, jamp to mbclient. This is a fairly common problem among some fresh installs.
I can't remember if permissions were also involved.

@Puppytine I summon thee!

Chant his name as well. He shall appear. Just don't mention puppies or time. He's weird about it.

By launcher do you mean the thing that I used to install it? If so, yeah, nothing else is open though.
I'll try switching to mbclient, but for now, since I really messed up by GameData, how can I get it back to normal standard jedi academy so I can start over?

@Puppytine plz

Sorry, I mean messed up *my* gamedata, I deleted random things then copy+pasted what I got from the movie battles 2 folder. It looks like this
upload_2017-5-19_18-28-23.png

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I deleted all the old stuff that was on there for the main game
Mmm... what? I hope you didn't delete content (Assets.*pk3 files) of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base", did you?
it tells me "please start the game via launcher and keep it running!"
  1. There is no reliable solution for this problem so far.
    Different things work for different people, but basically it's just random. Very sad :(
  2. Keep MBII Launcher opened all the time you play Movie Battles.
    It's needed because of anti-cheating system built-in in Launcher.
  3. Restart MBII Launcher at least once.
    Each time installaition has been repaired or updated, Launcher MUST be restarted. Repair or update deactivates anti-cheating until next run, due a bug in Launcher.
  4. Move MBIILauncher.exe to "Jedi Academy\GameData"
  5. Use full-screen mode and native screen resolution
  6. If you have Steam version of Jedi Academy and it isn't installed in default Steam folder, move it to default Steam folder.
    Not your case.
  7. Make sure MBII Launcher isn't blocked by a firewall.
    If you have a firewall (Kaspersky, NOD, Agnitum Outpost...), add MBIILauncher.exe to white list.
  8. Switch a game engine to another one:
    MBII Launcher => Settings => uncheck "Steam integration" (skip if there's no such checkbox) => Engine => MBII Client => Play.
    If you already use MBII Client, select jamp.
  9. Restart Movie Battles, Launcher and your computer repeatedly
I get it back to normal standard jedi academy so I can start over?
You can launch base JA via Steam.
You can reinstall Jedi Academy via Steam.

Alright, thanks a lot! I did that and now it doesn't give me the problem, but just to make sure since its my first time (my first timing gaming in a long, long time as well) once i join as spec on the deathstar escape i need to wait my time before i join the game, is that right? Otherwise theres still another problem