Real talk, the future of MBII and ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nex

EU Official Server Admin
I moved posts those add nothing to this discussion, those are off-topic.
However, I cannot edit posts. If I could, I would remove insults from them.

So you are okay with Mace's post in which he calls me a dickhead and you leave it alone but at the same time you move mine that did not contain offensive language at all. How nice and not biased at all. I didn't start any of this. And if you don't see it then perhaps you need to re read this thread one more time without moving any post out of order. I expressed my opinion and was viciously attacked for it with insults from Mace right in next post after my original followed by two kids later on.

Anyone that advocates for precision while running, tks are optional as a positive improvement to gameplay is in my opinion, ignorant or a troll
Those are the only 2 options.

To me it looks slightly different. If someone doesn't want make tk system optional for server admins to set and is in favor of random spray from guns in 'competetive game' (as it was called here several times) then in my opinion is very ignorant, has no clue of what 'competetive' means, or is just trolling himself and tking ppl under alias names taking pleasure from it. I know there are certain problems it would bring such as balancing out them all damage wise,clip,ammo etc. but I meant the general idea.

Talking to the wrong person. I fully support *random* spray as you call it because I find that more realistic than arcade crap that's typically and increasingly being foisted, yes foisted upon the general populace.

I despised the 5 on 5 crowd for their control fetish of this and that, just as I despised the let the people decide.
The happy medium has been achieved.

You can choose to forgive or punish. That's in regard to the Punishment aspect. But if you're trying to suggest immunity....As to being immune to tks, horrendous gameplay, indefensible. Stick to playing arcades, chum.

Nex

EU Official Server Admin
Punish and Forgive system didn't pass its test. We have constant trolls that are willing to waste their time on intentionally tking other persons for pure joy (even for hours in special cases). Admins aren't always online so they can't kick them. Removing tk system would solve that problem instantly.It would also make teamplay easier and feel more friendly for newcomers that I've noticed recently were complaining about it. Mind you, that I'm talking only about open servers not competetive ones. That's why it should be optional and choice of server admin.

Punish and Forgive system didn't pass its test. We have constant trolls that are willing to waste their time on intentionally tking other persons for pure joy (even for hours in special cases). Admins aren't always online so they can't kick them. Removing tk system would solve that problem instantly.It would also make teamplay easier and feel more friendly for newcomers that I've noticed recently were complaining about it. Mind you, that I'm talking only about open servers not competetive ones. That's why it should be optional and choice of server admin.

Eh, ye, would probably work, considering that people were pretty fine with the whole 'having no TK points' thing far before it was introduced. Even with the TK points thing, any serious guy who wants to mess with somebody just has to switch around their VPN to come back after TKing somebody, and then do it all over again, all it does is slow them down marginally.

However, if you mean just taking out the TK portion of the game altogether, you lost me.

Is this a joke? No, seriously? Is it? Are you trolling?

If friendly fire ever became *optional* in open I would quit this mod without looking back. This is coming from someone whose played consistently since '04.

The gameplay changes should be blatantly obvious to anyone with a modicum of reason.
My god.

Gonna ignore you now:) You lost me.Just can't take anything you have to say seriously anymore.
Try another dummy account.

edit; Dear God....its spreading. This is what happens when you let Europeans lead. :):):):)

If friendly fire ever became *optional* in open I would quit this mod without looking back. This is coming from someone whose played consistently since '04.

The gameplay changes should be blatantly obvious to anyone with a modicum of reason.
My god.

Gonna ignore you now:) You lost me.Just can't take anything you have to say seriously anymore.

I think he's alluding to not having the TK points there, but keeping the friendly fire. Like days of yore.

Nex

EU Official Server Admin

My god.

edit; Dear God....its spreading. This is what happens when you let Europeans lead. :):):):)

Are you serious? Or are you trolling? That's all what you have to say?

Of course game would be different. It would be more fun, faster, without worrying about getting shot 3 rounds in a row by some newb or idiot. Perhaps you should have left back then, community could benefit from it.
And guess what, this is also from someone who's here since b17.

Now yes, ignore me. That's the only way to go if you can't find solid arguments. Just go back to drinking mate. Or make some more silly accounts to talk to yourself "dummy".

and btw. Mod's poplation isn't even 50 daily. That's what happens if you let Americans lead :)

Last edited:
Let's keep in mind that this isn't supposed to be Quake 3 Arena, it isn't supposed to be fast, it's a team based game with a lot of emphasis on team play over arcade like gameplay, all in all it is a mid pace game.

Mod's poplation isn't even 50 daily.
Gonna need a proper statistical source for that.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
This is extremely sad to read.
I don't believe in restricting gameplay, especially in *further* restricting.
That will only leads to disappointment, which, in turn, will make people leave MBII.
You can't force anybody to like what you like.
Today's trands for locking and restricting is cancer :(.

I think you really need a hard look at why other games have done this. THOUSANDS of game developers wouldn't be following this path, including us, if it wasn't more beneficial to the game. Yes allowing players and servers a degree of freedom is good. TOO MUCH freedom is bad and always has been. Too much freedom has destroyed games in the ways Ben mentioned.

and btw. Mod's poplation isn't even 50 daily. That's what happens if you let Americans lead :)

Actually throughout the course of MB2's history there have been more EU developers and more EU leaders, but keep going. Also, there are currently 92 people playing MB2. That doesn't include unique players throughout the day as we don't track that.

Really? REALLY?!
I see crystal clear way how duel mode does increase Movie Battles playerbase:

There are also people that left the game over the years because of the "honor duels" type people. I stopped playing as much because of people like that and even getting TK'd for "interfering". This was even when duel mode was already part of the game. Overall, the amount of players lost since the focus on sabering (including duel mode) has been greater than that of players gained because we haven't varied the base gameplay or added anything interesting in forever because we have been focused on it forever. So in a way yes, that focus decreased player base rather than increasing it. Yes a few people joined because of duel mode and I will never deny that, but if you don't look at the full picture that lead up to this you don't have all the information.

The only real reason FA exists though, is because of the movies. It is far too hard to maintain that there isn't a whole lot of point having it anymore regardless of how fun I think the mode is.

Isn't a bit bigger number players online, and a bit happier players enough?

That is not how that works, it isn't how any of this works. This goes back to what Spaghetti said. You are chasing a statistic rather than a game. Don't do that. If you chase statistics, you will always lose.

That's incredible flawed logic o_O
You absolutely, positively cannot compare removing saberists and "removing" timelimit, because removing timelimit isn't removing at all -- it's providing more freedom, which makes server settings more flexible.

Yes you can compare them because once again they are rules defined by the game itself. If you mess with the rules, you change the game. They might be different on their specific levels of impact, but they still affect things. The sum total of all the design rules in the game are what make the game.

As I said before, official servers, configured exactly as dev team want them to be, is here, and they aren't going anywhere.
So what's the problem?

This is one of those ideas that sounds great on paper but doesn't work in reality. Many games have tried this over and over again without much success.

Do you have any proofs, any evidences of that?

I don't have any links because they have been lost in time, but I will again direct you to ForceMod3. The developer made a JKA mod where he had designed his own game rules and was building it how he wanted in his own free time. In a few ways it attracted the RP community to it because of some of its features and they had begun to take over the mod with their RP servers, forum feature requests, etc. It happened for months if not years of the majority of things being RP related when the developer didn't want to focus on RP at all and make what he wanted to make because that is what was fun to him. He was doing it for his enjoyment, not that of RPers. It had everything they wanted though, cool classes and abilities, full 7 forms lightsaber combat, etc. So they kept pressuring him and pressuring him to do more and more RP centric things. Eventually he got fed up, stopped working on FM3 entirely, and left the JKA scene never to be heard from again. He just wanted to make something fun and RP drove a hard working developer away from JKA entirely.

I completely concur with Ben and Viserys posts and hate that they are usually better at wording things than I am. :)

Why is allowing admins to set something as simple as round length a controversy? Apparently peace in the middle east is more likely. I feel like I just opened the Ark of the Covenant.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Why is allowing admins to set something as simple as round length a controversy? Apparently peace in the middle east is more likely. I feel like I just opened the Ark of the Covenant.

If you read some of the posts you may realize it isn't as simple as people think it is. I am going to link you to Ben, Viserys, and Spaghetti's posts for ease of access.

And ye, I know LoU for more than 10 years. We both are from the same country, were in the same teams pretty much for that period and played together ever since.

I don't think LoUs opinion is much different from Spag/Viserys/Bens and I don't think you know him as well as you think you do. Based off of what I remember from the last few times this came up anyway.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I was this close to closing the thread for going off the rails. Cleaned up a bit instead. Don't make me reconsider. You can attack arguments, not people. If your post contributes nothing to the topic you don't have to post and probably shouldn't. These rules aren't difficult folks.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Cleaned up a bit instead.
Just cleaned it up a little bit more.

Once again, guys:
DO NOT posts any insults or offensive comments, especially racist ones.
DO NOT make it personal in any way.
This thread is about timelimit (and some other stuff SeV mentioned in OP), so stick with it.
Discuss ideas, not people.

I would at least put to poll whether there should be an option to remove the time and life limit for the duel mode. If that passes consensus with the player base and development team, then you can put it up on your checklist.

Status
Not open for further replies.