3p cam orientation abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
the is one area of feedback i don't need years of experience to give my two cents in, because other 3p available games have the same problems, and address them in some simple ways.

the problem i see with vision in the game is that primarily, people can look round a corner while standing firmly out of sight. for melee to be visually pleasing it has to be in 3rd person, so flat removing it isn't really an option - but things can be done to the camera to make it harder to abuse the system.

dayz had a plan, i don't know if they implemented it yet, to make the camera snap to the edge of a wall if your character couldn't see around it, the camera continues to move once the character can see in 1p.

resident evil and eternal crusade tried to address major camera abuse by moving the camera to be closer to the back of the character's head and to one side, and able to swap the orientation of camera from left to right.

since a lot of approaches can be identified by footsteps or doors opening, there is no need to see if one wishes to be sneaky. you just have to use your judgement better.

this would increase the value of force sight

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
yes, that's both at 1. That's maximum damping. Completely damped. One of the definitions of damp is "control or restrain." Completely controlled.

Moreover if you just set both to the same value (like both at 0.6), then strafing left and right won't move the crosshair off-center.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
>be me
>play dis game almost 11 years or smth
>3rd person all the way
>everything is fine and fun, no serious problems with the game
>why the hell otherwise I would even play this game if the system had been fundamentally flawed for the entire last decade
>wild forum post appears
<hey guys, lets remove 3rd person :---D
>3rd person removed
>the whole nature of the game changed, the things I've been used to are gone
>the backbone of mb2, the old playerbase, fades when their favorite game ceases to be what they loved
>but geez, at least the removal of 3rd person brought stealthness, justice and empty servers to my new (dead) empire :--D regards original poster

The short version: do not fix what aint broken.

I'm surprised the amount of people here who think third person advantages are perfectly fine. The argument can definitely be made that fixing the issue of third person camera abuse to gain knowledge and aim almost as though you have wall hacks would either be too hard to do and/or not work properly. Completely taking out third person camera isn't really an option.

But, people are saying third person peeking is a skill. That because everyone can do it, there is no issue. The ridiculous post saying you need third person because when it is 1 vs many you need that advantage to stand a chance (lol). It has been this way for so long, so changing it is dumb. That the third person camera was intended to give you this advantage. I find it hard to take these sort of people serious.

If you think third person doesn't give you a huge advantage, try playing the game in third person without actually using the camera to peek corners. It will be hard to do because of how long you've been exploiting it. But honestly try it... That extra second it will take you to see what is out there while not behind cover, aim where the newly discovered person is, and fire is pretty huge while they are also able to return fire on you. When you third person peek, you are gaining all the advantages of exposing yourself to return fire or giving your position away without actually taking any of that risk.

The short version: It may be not worth the dev time to fix, too hard to fix properly, or even impossible. I agree that removing third person isn't an option. But at least stop pretending that this is a great indented feature of third person rather than an unfortunately consequence that a disembodied camera brings... or that it doesn't give a huge advantage to the person doing it (and that in most situations, only one side benefits from it at a time, giving one person the advantage).

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
It's an initial feature that the rest of the game is designed in context of, so it's not inherently an issue. Nyeh >: p

>be me
>play dis game almost 11 years or smth
>3rd person all the way
>everything is fine and fun, no serious problems with the game
>why the hell otherwise I would even play this game if the system had been fundamentally flawed for the entire last decade
>wild forum post appears

<hey guys, lets remove 3rd person :---D
>3rd person removed
>the whole nature of the game changed, the things I've been used to are gone
>the backbone of mb2, the old playerbase, fades when their favorite game ceases to be what they loved
>but geez, at least the removal of 3rd person brought stealthness, justice and empty servers to my new (dead) empire :--D regards original poster
nice meme

only one side benefits from it at a time, giving one person the advantage).

Maybe. But if you play this game and don't approach every corner with the thought that there's probably someone peeking at you from there right now, you've earned the pleasure of getting fucked by a surprise gunfire in your face the moment you walk around a corner.
That's also part of the skill and tactics of this game: figuring out where an enemy could be, not only confirming where they really are.

Fang

Donator
Removing third person to buff sense abuse hell yeah. I would uninstall

Status
Not open for further replies.