The Shame of Force Grip

th

It's that time again. A new movie, a new age, a new newness to an old, decrepit mod.:)

Where once again through our inaction we shame the Movies that brought such joy and wonder to our lives by letting the ruinous remains of Force Grip fester on in their current state of decay. T_T

th

Fiends, trash, vile scum!!

Force Grip, that Iconic Power, that first expression of the force we see in the movies, wielded by Darth Vader...is lacking in MB.
Don't you find that...Disturbing????

I personally blame the lock timer and how situational it's use is compared to the versatility and ease of EVERY OTHER force ability in this game.
But that's a moot point. :)
Wait, no it isn't! That's exactly the point!!

I advocate...for Change!

Make Force Grip Great Again!

Simple Change that nevertheless some Snowflakes will melt in a puddle over. Your tears bring me joy!!

Force Grip - Instant Grip - just like the old, old version - for movement and provided you closed the distance with enough force.
Grip lock timer for Damage and Paralysis(inability to attack.)
So you'd be able to instantly grip to mitigate, halt or control their movement. But, to prevent them from firing and attacking, you'd need to get the lock on locked down. The lock on timer would start as soon as you instant gripped them and would of course require you to maintain ur crosshair on them.

The only question is.....is....is...... is the ability to fire into a sith enough or should being shot/attacked also affect and reset the griplock paralysis timer?

/Mic Drop.

Anyone that disagrees with me. I forgive....

Them for their Stupidity!
t(-_-)t

Dark_Vador_Dance.gif

Sammy

Master of Whispers
Donator
Maybe add a window where you can't instantly let go though. Instant grip then stop and swing to kill? OP

Nah.

Doesn't stop them from shooting you. Once you start gripping ur movement slows down to a walk.
Right now, the jump with lit 1 thats been used for 7 years is still safer to abuse and at far less the price.

That reminds me, remove the Push Knockdown from Grippers. That's another pain in the ass.:)

Instant grip already sounds pretty bad, especially if it mitigates movement.
If it works like that, it shouldn't prevent you from being shot in the face. Shouldn't be an 'I WIN' button vs gunners.

It can sound bad, but that's really just years of propaganda. It's what they want you to think.

Remember, this was how Grip Functioned in MB before this timer nonsense.
Which, tbh, came out of left field since NO ONE had been publicly crying about grip at the time.
My memory is clear. It was all backroom dealings.

Only years after did they start spewing the line, oh, but that would be horribly unbalanced.
It wasn't.

Considering I'm primarily a gunner these days - My wisdom is absolute:)

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
"Make grip great again"

Don't worry, I intend to. Force will some day be great. Depending on dev time, and how much I have to fight people over ideas. I got'sum guud thinkins for da force

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
It would be cool if there were some objects on maps which could be pushed/pulled/gripped and tossed around to knock down and damage enemies.

Not really possible due to JKAs engine. Was a plan for the original MB3 (it was even implemented - though boxes were too light
), and is somewhat still a plan for EC.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Could be a cool change. I find this alternative to be weaker at lower levels than the current variation, but definitely fits the fantasy better.

It would also add some nice extra oomph to Grip 3.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Instantly grip their movement but also instantly make yourself vulnerable to being shot by them? Hmmmmmmmmmmm... all other things being equal, it would make the Grip 3 Super Push more viable since you just need to chuck em up in the air, making Grip FWs more viable. I'm not completely sold; agree with "weaker at low levels" but it does sound entirely more fun overall. Adding that would also add the ability to pick up your teammates without instantly choking them, which would be... sometimes useful.

My personal beef with Grip, as... a... relatively new player, is that it's always seemed like just a worse version of lightning. Or maybe it's something that's like lightning but more anti-saberist than anti-gunner. As it is now, a quick lightning blast at very close range gives you a slash on gunners, and a moment of grip gives you a slash on saberists, although you need a gunner to break their Force Block first. (which is fine)

off-the-wall: what if Grip 3 could lock on from a bit further away? (and would pull the target towards you a little ways)

I would also remove the knockdown vulnerability from push/pull while gripping. Leave the knockback, remove the knockdown.

The point of this is to make grip a more viable/useful/used/fun power.
See, covered everything.

You would have to hate fun to hate this idea. Do you hate fun?

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Instantly grip their movement but also instantly make yourself vulnerable to being shot by them? Hmmmmmmmmmmm... all other things being equal, it would make the Grip 3 Super Push more viable since you just need to chuck em up in the air, making Grip FWs more viable. I'm not completely sold; agree with "weaker at low levels" but it does sound entirely more fun overall. Adding that would also add the ability to pick up your teammates without instantly choking them, which would be... sometimes useful.

My personal beef with Grip, as... a... relatively new player, is that it's always seemed like just a worse version of lightning. Or maybe it's something that's like lightning but more anti-saberist than anti-gunner. As it is now, a quick lightning blast at very close range gives you a slash on gunners, and a moment of grip gives you a slash on saberists, although you need a gunner to break their Force Block first. (which is fine)

off-the-wall: what if Grip 3 could lock on from a bit further away? (and would pull the target towards you a little ways)

Grip is incredibly strong 1v1 at the moment, stronger than lightning. A FW can make excellent use of it. It is a common practice of mine to grip Clone-clowns and pull their guns from them, then launch them into the stratosphere.

DaloLorn

Grip's also a fairly potent dueling tool. (Similarly more powerful than lightning.)

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Grip is incredibly strong 1v1 at the moment, stronger than lightning. A FW can make excellent use of it. It is a common practice of mine to grip Clone-clowns and pull their guns from them, then launch them into the stratosphere.
Huh, how do you land a Grip on a clone as a FW in the first place? Not only can they do twitchy sprint-strafing to evade your lock, they can shoot you.

Also,didn't realize that you can do a Pull>Push superpush after Grip too. showswhatiknow. I mean, on some level I knew, but I never thought about it.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Huh, how do you land a Grip on a clone as a FW in the first place? Not only can they do twitchy sprint-strafing to evade your lock, they can shoot you.

Also,didn't realize that you can do a Pull>Push superpush after Grip too. showswhatiknow. I mean, on some level I knew, but I never thought about it.

It's actually pretty easy to avoid Clone shots if you don't need to actually kill them with a saber, plus they can't run out of my grip lock, or they might get pushed/pulled, and gripped anyway. The biggest strength you have as a FW, is that you can camp around any corner, and land an ambush on them. If you can start channeling grip before they know you're there, you've already basically won. The main issue is, this only works 1v1.

Like monkeys, Clones are more annoying the more there are, like so many feces-throwers, you cannot dodge all of their blobs/shots.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
sdfghjkl why didn't i think of threatening with Pull to keep them from dodging Grip. I'm very much a gunner main. I get away with a lot of little run dodging-around when I fight Grip or Deflect users, based entirely on figuring they won't suddenly switch from Grip/Deflect to Push/Pull.

Hexodious

Movie Battles II Team
Could be a cool change. I find this alternative to be weaker at lower levels than the current variation, but definitely fits the fantasy better.

It would also add some nice extra oomph to Grip 3.

I like it as well, and weaker lower ranks of Grip wouldn't be a bad thing.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
I like it as well, and weaker lower ranks of Grip wouldn't be a bad thing.

My suggestion around Grip was to make it have different uses and effects at each level. For instance

Grip level 1 has infinite range (Can channel from any distance), but it doesn't stun enemies, but forces them to walk. Targets can still fire, but cannot use class specials or jump. If the Sith takes damage during the channeling, the grip is broken. 7 Seconds of continuous grip will kill the target, if the grip is released early all HP is regained by the target. Grip can only be channeled while walking. Sense 3 allows a Sith to target enemies through walls with grip level 1.

Grip level 2 has a medium range, will slowly lift the target off their feet and choke them, enemies are able to fire, but extremely inaccurately. If the Sith takes damage during the channeling, the grip is broken. Upon grip being broken, the target can immediately fire/run/activate saber to avoid being sabered by the Sith. 6 seconds of continuous grip will kill the target, if the grip is released early 80% of the HP damage taken is regained. Grip can only be channeled while walking. Sense 3 allows the Sith to grip through walls, and extends the range by 30%.

Grip level 3 is close range, and will allow the Sith to manipulate the target while choking them, target is completely stunned. If the Sith is shot in the head, the grip is released. Upon grip being broken, the target can immediately fire/run/activate saber to avoid being sabered by the Sith. 6 seconds of continuous grip will kill the target, if the grip is released early 60% of the HP damage taken is regained. Grip can only be channeled while walking. The Sith can also combo with other powers on Grip level 3 choking victims:
* Grip 3 + Saber Throw = Dealing high damage to the target, and executes low-armor classes immediately.
* Grip 3 + Lightning = Deals extremely high damage that pierces armor, and prevents Jedi from pushing/pulling out of the grip.
* Grip 3 + Push = Knocks the target to the ground/Into a Wall, deals minor splat damage.
* Grip 3 + Pull = Disarms target of any weapon/lightsaber.

Jedi can only be gripped while running, jumping, or knocked down, if channeling grip on a knocked-down target, it is channeled 2x faster. Jedi cannot escape grip until 1 second into the grip, and Sith cannot combo until 1 second into the grip

I think that would make Grip a dangerous 1v1 ability that still could have a lot of counter-play around it, since the Sith can only channel grip while walking, and the grips have different ranges, it means that Gunners have multiple options for escaping it.

Last edited:

DaloLorn

Aye, this sounds nice. Makes it less of a gimmick without rendering it worthless.

A few comments:
  • You reference Sense 3 and gripping through walls in both levels 1 and 2. Not sure what the difference is supposed to be, aside from the 30% range boost.
  • You reduce the range of each consecutive Grip level. I'm not sure if you already intended to do that or not, but it might be better if you simply upgraded the ability's effects within the range limit, rather than disabling the ability altogether.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
The difference is range, and functionality.

Because Grip 3 with infinite range would be incredibly broken. They need to have different uses, really.