SeV's Saber System Fix

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Bare with me and try to understand, as I lay bare some of my thoughts on the saber system. Please listen uncritically to a player who's cared for this game and sabering ystem for over 8 years. Btw, this spawned from a reply to the PB post by Apex, but the reply turned into this...

Introduction: Skip to suggestions if you want.

I think the current PB system is good, but as stassin mentioned you can sometimes accidentally PB. Another issue I see with this system is that attacking like a fucking maniac is 90% better than focusing on defensive play because of parries. In the saberclash-systems parrying happened less frequently because of halfswing exchanges. Also, Angling ur saber when both attacking and defending, and countering with proper timing was the old way of playing and I know stassin thinks it was more random than not, and therefore bad and didn't take skill, yet I disagree. The old system was full of depth and took a great deal of skill, just as the current one does. They're just different.

So why is spamming such a viable way of playing, as opposed to focusing on PBs, correct timing and skillful countering etc?
Well, because the fucking attacks PARRY and a parry is better than a PB (ignoring perks for now).

In alot of situations, alot of the time, maybe more than 70 percent of a duel, parrying blocks more hits than PBing. Parrying can block hits at 0 bp. It completely trivializes the current PB system, because at 0 BP you can just go Yoda mode and jump around, swinging and parrying, then jump to reset and repeat. With red u can use the stagger aswell for an added 0 BP bonus defense.

In essence, my gripe is not with the current PB system, but with how it was implemented and what is missing. Tweaks, not revamps or returns to old systems. If skilled veteran players all put their heads together I'm sure we can come up with improvements that'll make the current system as much fun as the old one.

So...

This list of suggestions isn't a take it or leave it whole course, it's a buffet of suggestions to somehow spice up the current rather dull and lifeless system. (it sounds like I'm saying it's bad, but what I'm saying is that it's more boring, not worse or that it takes less skill. Why do you think people left? Because saber system wasn't fun for them anymore, but it's fun for sisi I assume...)

Here are my suggestions for a better saber system.

#1 Non-Trivial Counters:
A successful PB allows the user to Counter. That Counter will 'override' a normal swing (pass through a parry) and deal extra BP damage. Only works on the first swing after a PB.

Comment: Not extra BP by a huge amount, but enough to make countering and counter-countering a desirable tactic for skilled people as compared to mindlessly spamming combos (whether they be 2 hit combos followed by quick resets to get ACM or not... it's still mindless spam that takes little skill. I don't think it's much different from 4 hit combo spamming with yellow, it's just an evolution of the same playstyle.)

On the BP multiplier, I don't know if 1.1 swingblocked and 1.3 unswingblocked will be enough, but the main point of this is not the increased BP damage, though that is a required thing to make counters less trivial and more desirable. The real focus is on the fact that this allows people who can PB+counter to BYPASS 0 bp parry spamming retards.

(Extra note: Check my youtube videos of sisi vs sekundus and you'll see alot of retarded 0 BP jump spam. Sometimse it lasts for 30 seconds spamming at 0 bp before sisi dies to sekundus)

#2 More low bp parry fixes:
Getting hit while running and swinging without swingblock causes the user to lose his lightsaber if he is below 1/2 BP and stagger if he is above 1/2 BP.

Comment: First, the values can be adjusted down to be 1/4 disarm threshold or even lower.

Reason and history: many have suggested that a jedi/sith's movement speed be slowed at low/0 BP in the past. This would interfere with open mode gameplay in a non-trivial way. My suggestion does not harm open mode gameplay, it just makes it slightly more important to be aware of your BP in-case of an enemy jedi/sith. I mean for fucks sake, a 0 BP sith in open can take on a bunch of noob jedi by spamming parries and using red stagger and BP is supposed to be for blocking lightsaber attacks. You shouldn''t be just fine without BP against a jedi/sith... as said before it trivializes PB and the entire MB2 system, returning us to a base-like state of retarded spam. This 0 skill shit has to stop, and suggestion #1 and #2 help solve this problem. There is no good reason not to implement.

#3 Cyan Perk
Yes, the cyan parry perk has to get the fuck out of here. it encourages a retarded, 0 skill noobish playstyle that I've tried to crush with suggestions #1 and 2.

Comments: If cyan has to be removed from the game as a useless style, so be it. But cyan's parry perk opposes all that is good about the current saber system and has to go.

#4 Cyan revamp
Cyan's first swing is yellow speed, blue dmg (ish), and with each swing in the combo/chain it increases in speed and damage until it is blue speed, yellow damage at around 4 swings? Upon reset, returns to being Yellow speed, blue dmg.

New perk:
Performing an Mblock (with PB), makes the counter start at blue speed, yellow BP dmg level.

Comments: Cyan is too weak without the derpy, SHITTY parrying perk. Revamping cyan is no small matter. My first suggestion is to make cyan's first swing slower, but each subsequent swing increase in speed within the combo chain. First swing speed starts out around yellow level , with blue dmg, and as we get deeper into the swings, speed and damage increase to reverse, blue speed and yellow dmg. This happens for combos and single swings alike within a given combo-chain (You know, before the reset. So you can combo ur way up to extremely fast halfswings). This would make cyan a unique aggressive style instead of the derpy, half-assed style that it currently is.

The perk requires skill to be good, unlike the disgusting parry perk.

#5 Staff changes
Staff mblocks no longer stagger the opponent. Instead, they get an active verson of the stagger on the currently unused saberthrow button.

Active stagger: Works like the mblock stagger, has a cooldown of 8 seconds, requires a PB+button press to succeed so that it still takes timing and some skill.

Comments: The current staff stagger mechanic is simply too overpowered considering staff's def and off stats. It also slows duels to a crawl. It is simply too overpowered. Yes it takes a little bit of skill to use, but if you practice it you can perform it just as easily as you PB and thus the amount of skill needed to execute it is not in proportion to how good it is.

My suggestion is a nerf to the stagger mechanic. Even if it got removed entirely staff would still be an excellent style because it has good defense and offensive stats. Also, the 8 sec cooldown can be shown like the slap cooldown is currently.

#6 Slap/kick
This one is simple, up the cooldown from 2.5 sec to 4 seconds.

Comments/reasoning: Slap is often spammed. Making the cooldown longer does not impact duels in a negative way, as there's no saberclash facehug anymore, just regular old facehug which doesn't have much of an effect. The second reason for increasing slap cooldown is that it helps guide players towards using the PB+Counter mechanic that I mentioned above. It also helps make revamped cyan playstyle more dangerous. It reinforces proper use of slap, combats spamming it constantly.

#7 Duals changes
Duals stab no longer gives the user an ACC.
You can only parry with the first swing in a combo.
Duals stab can parry+knockback. Main defensive mechanic on duals.
Duals have slightly more BP multiplier than before to compensate for loss of combo-spammed parries as a defensive mechanic.

Comments: It's quite simple really. Duals is a spammy playstyle that can completely ignore PBs. When playing duals, you NEVER EVER focus on PBing, instead only on attacking, parrying, stabbing, gaining ACM and running away to regen BP... Very gay style of play atm.

#8 Red changes
Red loses PB BP drain perk.

New Perk: The parry bypass from PBing+Countering lasts for the entire combo instead of for only 1 swing.

In addition, Red gets a new ability. Pressing the saberthrow button makes reds first swing a halfswing, exactly like the old weaponswitch/twirl trick, but HP damage is decreased to 50 HP. (To balance in open-mode) and movement speed is slowed to 80 percent for 2 sec after pressing the button. Lasts 2 sec before expiring. Takes 0.5 sec before you can attack after you've pressed the button and activated the ability.

Cooldown 8 seconds

Comments: The old red PB perk makes it a very strong stance and without the perk it's perhaps not strong enough. The Parry bypass perk allows reds counter-combo's to be effective and is a more attack oriented perk as it bypasses parry defenses. Also, the counter combo can be slapped making it a more risky perk with less success chance. All this serves to increase the skill it takes to play with and against red while slightly nerfing the defensive power.

The new halfswing ability is needed for red to give it a more attack-based flavour. I don't care what anyone says, red should have this ability. If an 8 sec cooldown proves to be too short, then increase it to 10 seconds, Idc. With such a long cooldown it is trivial in the actual duel itself, but serves to spice things up and keep players on their toes against red, knowing that at any moment the Red user can go brutal offense. It gives red more unique flavour similar to playing against the current stagger staff. If a style has a mechanic you cannot ignore, that gives personality to that style. Red is an iconic aggressive style so why not give it this ability? It is not overpowered at all compared to the 8+ BP drain on PB perk, and if implemented with the HP dmg nerf to swings in that combo it won't make the style OP in open either, though it'll give red users an opportunity to finish off facehugging gunners that they've deflected down to low HP. Another bonus, though not a dueling bonus, still worth noting.

#9 Blue changes
Make blue spins fast so that you can utilize those combos in combat and not be afraid of spinning.

Comments: Blue is already a good, unique, fun style loved by many. Perhaps it's a tad strong but that's to be expected because of the parry shit. With my PB+Counter suggestion bypassing parries for a single swing, it should help balance things out vs spammy styles like blue. The above suggestion makes blue users able to attack in more varied ways, and I know everyone would appreciate it if spinning didn't fuck them over with blue. It helps even the slight nerf that the PB+Counter introduces to blue in a non OP or otherwise annoying or roundabout way.

Extra note: It would be cool if you could slow down blue counters just a tad, and make blue users able to counter with a w swing in a proper manner. Think of a kendo strike, that's the kind of blue counter I'd like to see more of. Make this new blue counter as prevalent about as prevalent as the yellow left swing counter.

#10 Force powers.
Force Speed becomes a neutral force power.

Jedis get Force Heal.

lvl 1 cost 4 - drains 20 fp per sec, heals 5 hp per second. User is immobile (Kneeling heal stance)
lvl 2 cost 6 - drains 10 fp per sec, heals 6 hp per sec. User is immobile (Kneeling heal stance)
lvl 3 cost 8 - drains 10 fp per sec, heals 10 per sec. User can move while healing.

Note: I'd like speed to be implemented regardless of heal. There's an argument for giving Jedis force grip. Sith can use lightning (sith Sorcery), but all force users can use grip to some extent and as Kyle said, the forcepower itself is not evil, it's how you use it. So you can put grip in both jedi and sith if my force heal suggestion is not to your liking.

Comments: Why? Speed is needed in the current dueling system to counter the retarded backslash and with jedi's being the only ones to have speed, it makes sith less versatile in dueling. Also, the many implications in open recommend speed. If sith have speed... there are so many tactical implications. They had it before, they can have it again. It's worth a try. People want it, old vets, newer players, recognized MB2 personalities. So many ppl are asking for this. So give it to them.

The specifics of force heal balancing can be changed to suit the balance. My values are just placeholder suggestions.

Last edited:
Landing a yellow dfa can be a tad difficult if your opponent knows what he's doing. Maybe if they are atleast 1/4th bp remaining or below, maybe the yellow dfa could have a chance to blow through the defenses if landed correctly and kill the opponent. This may already be a component, but it feels like even the slightest amount of bp blocks any yellow dfa.

Cat Lady

Movie Battles II Team Retired
Strange, from my experience it can kill opponent which have quite some BP left. But, maybe they were running for a split second?

Strange, from my experience it can kill opponent which have quite some BP left. But, maybe they were running for a split second?
Again, It probably is a component already in the game I just wish the DFA would be more implemented in the gameplay. It has that flashy appealing factor to the new players, but it does nothing more than leave you open most of the time.

If you're lucky your lightsaber can slash their back, so BP wouldn't matter at this point. It's very hard to do correctly though.

Installed MBII for fun and hopped on the dueling server, some things I've noticed over the little while I've been playing:

1) Perfect Block isn't "RNG" but it's extremely tedious to replicate willingly. I feel like you shouldn't have to match the opponent's vertical angle of the swing (looking down at someone's feet or looking in the air) to get the block correctly. It may work and not be broken, but it's downright frustrating and anti-fun to attempt. People in this thread seem to be more concerned about the fact that PB indeed does work, and are losing sight of how cumbersome the overall process of the PB actually is. The inherent difficulty turns away new players and drives current players to claim it is RNG driven with how perfect you have to be to successfully block, exponentially more so on the second / third hit of a combo.

2) The team went ahead and made every body hit in a combo drain BP (removed the safe periods of time between BP loss in a combo). Not necessarily a bad thing by itself. But when you couple this with the current state of PB, you will 9 times out of 10 want to be the person combo'ing instead of the person trying to block because of how hard it is to defend compared to how easy it is to attack. The 1 out of 10 exception is the small handful of people in this thread claiming that they can perfect block at will, telling everyone else to "get good" or "L2P". This puts any defensive dueling at a severe disadvantage and makes combo'ing the only real playstyle until you learn how to consistently PB.

3) Halfswings / counters / spacing (to a degree) don't seem to matter as much as they used to. The only technical part of sabering now seems to be how well you can weave your combos in, and how well you can manage to perfect block. Halfswings and instant counters used to be a huge part of the saber system, trying to get precise hits in for the old +1/-1 or +1/-2 AP system. Currently if you are doing a halfswing you are usually losing damage you could have done by just combo'ing more swings together instead. When you put it all together, dueling for most people is just whoever can 4 combo hit the cleanest, slap, and perfect block --> repeat until someone dies (this is a broad generalization but still accurate).

This is why most people loved how B19 / RC1 played. There were clear bugs like ghost swings and passthroughs, but the nudging and perfect blocking felt more rewarding and less overwhelming for new players (it depended on actual saber positioning, not crosshair / angle guessing). When nudge was in the game, there was something else to play around instead of trying to get the fastest and cleanest combo like how it is now. You could instant swing off of the enemy's saber and it opened up a -huge- variety of swing combos and saber playstyles defensive and offensive. I'm aware that there are players who can PB consistently currently, but there is a clear problem when the vast majority of players cant. This wasn't the case back then, and a big reason a lot of players went so far as to say sabering was nearly perfect in older systems. I'm really not sure what happened down the line for sabering to end up how it is now.

That being said, this mod will still have the best saber vs saber mechanics out of any Star Wars game and be a strong contender for any that may come in the future. You guys had it right once, I don't know how the focus and manpower of the team is now especially after what happened with the server hosting situation but if you guys are still developing the saber system, I strongly recommend someone takes the time to look at what made the older systems highly desirable for those who had the opportunity to play them.

Last edited:
Pretty much agree with most of it.

You forgot to mention how gimped(pb) it is when its not a duel and you're being spammed by multiple opponents. Not great for open imo.

Sorta kinda.

Duels right now either result in one player spamming and the other player turtling. Pretty boring at the moment.
All I said is that at the moment it's the only viable reason I would have for implementing a saber block, I didn't say that it was a good reason. ;/
Agreed. There are much better ways of fixing the problem with spam.

And it is suggested by SeV in the very first post: counters.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
I don't think firestrike understands how the new PB system works, which kinda invalidates the wall of text. What you seem to say is the exact reverse of how PB functions today. In the past, most people had no idea how PB worked and didn't even attempt to do it. Nowadays a much higher percentage of people know how to PB. (Almost everybody except completely new players).

Also, do you really think halfswinging to teh left with yellow 4 times should be better than comboing? I think that would be too easy and boring. Besides, you'd be able to block those attacks perfectly every time. The real reason why combos are so prevalent is because it is needed to get past PB. Swing variety is a good thing... I'd rather have combos than yawing left side yellow swings while staring into the ground. Makes more sense, looks better, feels better, plays better, and is more complex and challenging.

Last point. I've said it before many times, but I'd like counters to be more effective and rewarding. Currently they don't have teh impact on gameplay I think they should have.

I thought he was talking about how tedious it was to look at the various points of reference to perfect block.

Look at kneecap/shins on the left/right to pb uppercut. Look at upper chest on the left/right to pb horizontal swing. Look up over head for forward slash.
It was more intuitive and enjoyable when it was just about spacing, angle and saber.

Now it feels like I'm marking off a checklist. Too technical to be enjoyable. I'm a lazy bastard. Why can't you just let me half-ass the pb?

What you seem to say is the exact reverse of how PB functions today. In the past, most people had no idea how PB worked and didn't even attempt to do it. Nowadays a much higher percentage of people know how to PB. (Almost everybody except completely new players).

I'm aware of how it works, I just don't think it should be a 6 point crosshair system instead of just putting your saber between your body and their saber ( | your body --> your saber --> their saber | generated a PB back then). You didn't need to look 30 degrees, then 270 degrees, 180 degrees then 60 degrees to stop a combo. All you had to do was put your saber in front of theirs. This is why I mentioned it is tedious, because ideally you have to look 4 different directions in 1 second to get the PB off for combos, depending on how hard your opponent is trying to break your PB. Maybe on the European side of MB2 during B19-start of RC2 the average player didn't understand how to PB, but I'm well aware that it was common knowledge on all the NA servers.

Also, do you really think halfswinging to teh left with yellow 4 times should be better than comboing? I think that would be too easy and boring. Besides, you'd be able to block those attacks perfectly every time. The real reason why combos are so prevalent is because it is needed to get past PB. Swing variety is a good thing... I'd rather have combos than yawing left side yellow swings while staring into the ground. Makes more sense, looks better, feels better, plays better, and is more complex and challenging.

I never said that guy, and I really think you're putting words in my mouth. I just said halfswing and counters aren't as important any more. I never said the saber system should be about yaw'ing 4 halfswings together while looking down at the floor, I made the observation that the more technical moves of the saber system don't matter as much as the easier parts (like combo'ing) which feels kind of lame.

I don't think firestrike understands how the new PB system works, which kinda invalidates the wall of text.

My post was a suggestion that highlighted the parts of what made MB2 sabering good throughout the years, and you figure because you incorrectly assumed I don't understand how something works, my entire post is invalid. The subforum is called Feedback and Gameplay, not largest e-peen largest D contest. It's that kind of elitist mentality Sev which is why I stepped down from beta lead / the beta team altogether. It got overrun with people who stopped caring for genuine feedback and it slowly turned into an ego contest of who the best perceived saberist was and how well they could convince Subaru / Serath / whichever coder was free to code exactly and exclusively what they wanted. The rest of beta was an actual team based democracy when it came to open mode / FA changes, and this only happened for saber matters.

The point of my post was to give a second opinion on what made the saber system amazing at different periods of time, in case anyone was still seriously working on it. Instead of calling my opinion invalid in the first line you could at least try and be more impartial with what you read.

Last edited:

Supa

The Serial Stacker
The current perfect block system is great in theory, and even works to a certain degree, but it didn't solve one of the age old problems of how you mediate spam versus turtle. It's been a back and fourth struggle to balance them, because if you "fix" one, you just make the other stronger. That's why I was always against touching the system again until we had an entire written spec that could be followed, so we weren't just constantly trying to adapt new and interesting ideas and methods to make the system more intuitive and add the depth that makes it interesting, while in some ways making it uninteresting.

I commend it for having such a steep learning curve and for requiring a great deal of time and effort to master, but there is no middle ground; you're either really mediocre or really good. Should have just left it alone when there was a viable "average" level of skill.

The current duel system: Whoever can out-combo the other while pb'ing as much as possible.:rolleyes:

I prefer the old blocking system of putting your saber in front of you to stop theirs. It was intuitive and yet offered more control imo.
I didn't have to stop and think, now aim my crosshair here...irrespective of saber placement and how little visual sense that made.

It's an arcade game now. Do this, achieve that. Do it fast enough and bonus points!
What I enjoyed in previous builds was how saber placement mattered, the control it gave you.
Now, not so much. As has been said; it's tedious.

Most duels now are divided into mechanical blocking (for those that know how to pb) and pressing random directional swings to bypass an opponents pb. Timing, counters, still important but spam is the can that everyone is forced to eat one way or another. It's the fashion of the season.

Thinking about it you basically eliminated a good chunk of the system when it comes to blocking and the various styles available. The old defaults to the enw additions. Every style blocks the same. The bp values might be a little different but where to block is fixed.
A quick fix to implement so many new styles but really diminishes each saber and the overall gameplay itself. You can pb just as well with red as well as with blue? Bah to that. Once again, saber placement; missing you.
What could have been I wonder now?

You know, people have been saying for years that Rc1 was the best system.
I don't know about it being the best but it was pretty good. Is there some reason we can't go back or recreate the best parts of it?

Blocking was intuitive, well-placed counters did wonders, you didn't lose half your bp from minor mistakes, it had rhythm and soul and you didnt have to get pigeon-holed playing a certain style to win because everything was mostly, equally viable.
You could win duels from doing everything form comboing, mixing it up with half swings...to just individually timed swings. Try the latter in this version and you might as well laugh at all the green flashing from the opponents block bar. If it aint a combo and he's not an idiot then theres no way he's not pbing you with ease.

Bring back the old blocking system.
Decrease the blocking arc.
Decrease run drains.
Hp skimming dmg from body hits, re-implment!

Other ideas related or not to whatever I'm rambling on about now:

Decreasing bp damage values for combo'd swings.
And hell, why not flip it and have decreased regen for holding block for too long:)

Lala, to sleep I go.:confused:

I thought he was talking about how tedious it was to look at the various points of reference to perfect block.

Look at kneecap/shins on the left/right to pb uppercut. Look at upper chest on the left/right to pb horizontal swing. Look up over head for forward slash.
It was more intuitive and enjoyable when it was just about spacing, angle and saber.

Now it feels like I'm marking off a checklist. Too technical to be enjoyable. I'm a lazy bastard. Why can't you just let me half-ass the pb?
So much this. I love the fact that you actually need to mix swing directions, but I hate the reasoning.
Before, it was about spacing and timing, now you can stand and merely move your mouse, ignoring all attacks, while on the attacking side you swing in random directions hoping your attacks won't be ignored.

I couldn't PB shit in pre V1.1, so I employed the dodging tactic, and it was fun as fuck. Now it doesn't make sense to choose PB alternatives.

Last edited:
Before it felt like you could almost hook your saber around your opponents. And thanks to spacing, angle, etc., you could.

Now: This pb system has eliminated that. The angle of your swing doesn't matter much when all he has to do to pb is look at point number 1,2,3,etc. every time.
Conversely, pb doesn't matter as much when all you have to do is spam as many combos in as many random directions as possible.

Too much control and too little control. The dichotomy of..what the hell is this version called?

There used to be a time when I could tell you what the name of the current build was. Is it strange that I can't anymore? I won't peek at the dev thread or homepage:)

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
I don't think firestrike understands how the new PB system works, which kinda invalidates the wall of text.
This sentence points out the biggest flaw in MB2's dueling. It is very inaccessible. The previous system had this very same flaw. Defending needs to be clearer for the player.

I would love to see perfect block be made easier while making failure to do so more punishing. Make it simply require holding crosshair over opponent instead of aiming at a very specific angle. It would emphasize focus instead of block points and reading split-second animations.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
No ben that idea will take an incredibly large amount of skill and fun out of the system. It may be better to have a visual representation of the exact PB zones in a picture in my guide and the in-game library. Doing this simple thing will make sure anybody will be able to understand PB without any issues.

And tbh, I do not see how this system is 'very inaccessible'. In fact, it is very accessible and easy to understand, and hard to master. Just how it should be.

The blocking system shouldn't be so easy as to render it useless. It is one of the KEY things that makes MBII sabering stand out from anything else.

Blocking skill has been an important part of MBII sabering for so many years... removing the skill requirements like you suggest will put off most, if not all of the peple who are currently dueling. I can only speak for myself, but if something like what you suggest ever happens I will quit dueling. And that says alot, as I've been through so many changes to the system.