•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Z_Free(): Corrupt zone header!

• Thread starter Deleted member 449
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 449

I recently switched from Movie Battles II V1.3.1 (non-launcher, 9-17-2015, moddb) to the fixed launcher shortly after the fixed launcher was released. For the past week I've been trying to get MBII to work with the launcher but with no solution. My problem is whenever I launch MBII with the launcher, I keep getting a "Z_Free(): Corrupt zone header!" error from the console. I am using the Steam version of JKA and I have Steam Connection checked. I did not mess around with the launch properties on Steam for JKA. I have no idea what is causing this issue nor how to fix it. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I don't have any Launch Options set in Steam.
But you should.
---
To play Movie Battles II< you will need to set specific launch options. Right click on Jedi Academy in your Steam Library and select Properties. You should see a button labeled Set Launch Options. Select that, and in the text field copy and paste +set fs_game "MBII". Whenever you start Jedi Academy Multiplayer through Steam it will automatically load to Movie Battles II. If you want to run base, or another modification, you will need to remove or modify the launch option
---
[Guide] Installing Movie Battles II & Troubleshooting Guide | Movie Battles II Community
I strongly recommend you to read that topic.

Also please be aware that in case of using Steam having Jedi Academy in any directory other than
On 32-bit Operating Systems: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData
On 64-bit Operating Systems: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData
is considering buggy.

Last edited:
I thought LoU just said not to have anything in launch options?
Also I use the launcher to play and my Jedi Academy is in the default folder so that isn't causing the problem.

LoU

R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
No, u shouldn't have any +sets in steam.

JAMP, Steamconnection should be enough. You can always use MBII Client.

I know I can use the MBII Client, but I'm wondering if you have any idea what actually causes this error.
As far as I'm aware my installation is a perfectly clean install.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Doing another clean install of everything, second time's the charm hopefully. If any devs would like to view the files and check stuff via TeamViewer I'd be happy to oblige.

[EDIT 1] I have started installing Movie Battles II. The Jedi Academy files were perfect before launch.

Last edited:
I have finished reinstalling everything, about to run the game if somebody wants to view on Teamviewer.
I'm also on the Teamspeak Channel if somebody wants to ask me anything.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
@Puppytine Yes, sorry. I told @Supa few times already that installation guide is wrong
Are you sure his guide is wrong?
Because I really don't understand how Steam is suppose to launch MBII in your way. Even if MBII launcher provides some additional arguments to make it possible, what if MBII Launcher is not used, and Steam is on its own?
So I think arguments in Steam should be used, at least when there is no MBII launcher.

Forgive my importunate, I'm just trying to make this situation more clear...
It's working but I have no idea what caused the problem to begin with.
Maybe it was caused by playing single mode? Try randomly launch MBII and regular Jedi Academy, using MBII Launcher and Steam launcher.

Honestly don't know what could have caused it, I did a clean install, in the EXACT same way twice.
The second time everything works.
Also for the record, I launch through the MBII Launcher and I have the Steam version of Jedi Academy and I run using JAMP.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
For the record, there are a bunch of ways to run the game. +set fs_game "MBII" is a way to run MBII with the Steam version.

For the launcher there are two options. Either you install the game to the default Steam directory, and you have all of the options to run the game, or you install the game to a different directory and you're limited to either running it with the MBII Client instead of JAMP through the launcher, or you launch it directly through Steam using the launch parameters if you really want to show up as playing Jedi Academy on Steam.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
+set fs_game "MBII" is a way to run MBII with the Steam version.
...or you launch it directly through Steam using the launch parameters if you really want to show up as playing Jedi Academy on Steam.
This is *exactly* for what my previous post about. And before that, I asked @Bazinga to try to launch MBII *directly* through the Steam just because MBII Launcher failed to run it. I decided to see what would happen next.
But @LoU said:
No, u shouldn't have any +sets in steam.
I guess I wasn't obvious enough in my first post when I've quoted guide. I should explicitly mention that I want @Bazinga to drop MB Launcher for a minute and use just Steam, only pure Steam.

So there is some kind of miscommunication between us. I'm sorry, I really am.

Last edited:

Supa

The Serial Stacker
I've had this discussion with LoU already, because I myself was always unable to run JAMP through the launcher. The reason was because I didn't install it under the same directory as Steam. If you don't install it to the default directory, your options to run the mod are cut down, especially if you want Steam to show you as playing Jedi Academy. That unfortunately bypasses the launcher entirely.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I've had this discussion with LoU already, because I myself was always unable to run JAMP through the launcher. The reason was because I didn't install it under the same directory as Steam. If you don't install it to the default directory, your options to run the mod are cut down, especially if you want Steam to show you as playing Jedi Academy. That unfortunately bypasses the launcher entirely.
The funny thing is that @Bazinga said he's JA was in correct folder from the first time, and his screenshot and logs proves it.
So I guess we will never know what caused his problem since he just reinstelled it all and his issue is gone.
I have the exact same problem with my Movie Battles II.
  • I deleted my Jedi Academy folder and reinstalled Jedi Academy (Steam Version).
  • I then launched Jedi Academy in both single and multiplayer, game was fine.
  • Then I downloaded the Movie Battles II Launcher and ran that, when I try to launch the game I get the same error.
  • My game is also launching the single player console, I cannot see why.
Link to settings screenshot.
Link to console output.
Also I use the launcher to play and my Jedi Academy is in the default folder so that isn't causing the problem.
I have finished reinstalling everything, about to run the game if somebody wants to view on Teamviewer.
I'm also on the Teamspeak Channel if somebody wants to ask me anything.
It's working but I have no idea what caused the problem to begin with.