Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
quit trying to fake populate your servers with non existent players, thanks

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Didn't think this was a thing outside base with bots?

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
I'd be interested in some hard evidence of this as fake player numbers isn't kosher. It's misleading for players and will mess with our stat tracking.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
ah so thats where the trillions of unique ips every day is coming from
You could fill a hundred servers with bots and it wouldn't change those stats unless you specifically engineered the bot to do so and rented a bunch of IPs / did some spoofing. Not that you actually care, you're just trolling out of malice or ignorance.

For the benefit of others, here is some basic arithmetic anyone could do for a sanity check on the numbers. Stats for the past week:
  • Average unique IPs per day (master server): 815
  • Average unique IPs over week (master server): 2473
  • Total hours played (calculated by players on servers): 9996
So if you take the lowest population count at face value (815), that would mean each person is playing for an average of 12 hours a week. Seems high to me. If you take the estimate for unique players over the week that's 4 hours per player. Still seems a bit high but as I've said before, master server count is intentionally deflated a bit to err on the low side.

If you went by the launcher usage over the past week it would be an average of 2.5 hours per player per week (4080 unique IPs). That's probably over estimating player count, but it's still within reason (as an average has to both represent the player that hops on for an hour every weekend and someone who plays every day).

It's just a bot that logs info for the owner lol.
That doesn't really make sense. If you own the server you wouldn't need to create an in-game bot to log events - you have access to the server log itself which will have more information than any single client can get. And if you have the coding knowledge to make a modified client for a bot, it would be easier to modify the server with enhanced logging or an event API.

gonna have to start adding that /s thing to my posts to make it clear im joking, dont play much anymore forget that the dev team and general staff have insertable broom handles as a part of the mandatory uniform

also ill have u know my trolling is not done out of malice or ignorance its done for my own self amusement/respect for the community and i will not be bullied into using malice or ignorance as my reason U BIG HITLER FACE fascist dictator person

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
The classic "I wasn't serious, you're the asshole for reacting" dodge. Without outside context (such as knowing someone's actual opinion beforehand) sarcasm doesn't work very well in text. I did actually interpret it as sarcasm though - a sarcastic joke ("so bots are the cause for misleading stats"). You can remove the sarcasm, but that still leaves you with the joke being about the stats, which is what I was responding to.

And while it's not that big of a deal, I'm a little tired of this subject repeatedly coming up (some asshat takes one look at the numbers and cries fake because they haven't thought about it for half a second). The numbers aren't perfect and we'll never have a precise player count without some tracking mechanism built into the mod, but as far as proxies go the data is quite good.

That doesn't really make sense. If you own the server you wouldn't need to create an in-game bot to log events - you have access to the server log itself which will have more information than any single client can get. And if you have the coding knowledge to make a modified client for a bot, it would be easier to modify the server with enhanced logging or an event API.

It logs stuff directly to discord. Banned entry attempts, logs and in-game player reports.