•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue Weird as hell FPS drops / temporary game freezes

Karus

Donator
Hi,
I've been having this issue for a really long time but I have just learned to live with it.
But after asking around a little bit, and finding out literally nobody else has this issue, I would love some help on this situation.

The issue occurs at multiple times during the game:

- When a new round starts:
(Countdown to Zero) then at zero the game staggers/freezes for like 3 seconds and then its fine.
Then FPS shoots from 5 back up to 30.

- When somebody connects to the server (not actually join a round, but just connects to the server)
Game freezes for about 1-2 seconds.
Fps shoots from 5 back up to 30

- When clicking the "Join" button to select a team
Game freezes for about 2-3 seconds

- When selecting a team from the Join menu

- When selecting a lightsaber hilt I haven't previously selected within that server session

- Outside of a server/game, this shit still occurs, but only when I click the "Join" button to see servers.
Game freezes for about 2-3 seconds.

-Specs
TOSHIBA SATELLITE C50-B
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2830 @ 2.16GHz,
2159 Mhz,
2 Core(s),
2 Logical Processor(s)
x64 based system

(Some background information on a past issue that I think might be causing it):
JKA was crashing, SP & MP due to opengl error.
Downloaded SciTech OpenGL, used OpenGL32.dll from that - game worked

Pretty sure it's not a graphical problem though, my computer runs games newer than JKA smoothly at high settings.
- Karus

Fletcher Time

Master of Puppets
Donator
Community Liason
First I would try checking the install integrity. You can find that in settings in the launcher. If that doesn't fix it, I would uninstall and reinstall (use buttons on bottom left of launcher.). If that fails to fix the problem as well, try turning down some shader settings and things alike. Older games like JKA and Movie Battles use old software which is incompatible with later stuff. If none of the above fixes the problem, then I would have to say that the stutters are most likely from your hard drive. As they get older and more filled up, some games will have trouble grabbing files from it. I would look into a hard drive upgrade and maybe even get a solid state drive.

Karus

Donator
First I would try checking the install integrity. You can find that in settings in the launcher. If that doesn't fix it, I would uninstall and reinstall (use buttons on bottom left of launcher.). If that fails to fix the problem as well, try turning down some shader settings and things alike. Older games like JKA and Movie Battles use old software which is incompatible with later stuff. If none of the above fixes the problem, then I would have to say that the stutters are most likely from your hard drive. As they get older and more filled up, some games will have trouble grabbing files from it. I would look into a hard drive upgrade and maybe even get a solid state drive.
Thanks for the suggestions,
I've repaired installation multiple times, ran off of MB2 Client & Jamp, set graphics to completely low, uninstalled and installed, none worked.
I have yet to clean up my hard drive, so maybe that might be the problem.
I'll have a good clean up & tell you how it goes.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Most of these are issues with the engine itself. Mostly that it doesn't asynchronously load game assets. This causes it to hitch when it needs to load assets (opening new menus, joining a round) and the severity of the hitch is more or less based on the speed of your PC. Remember, laptops run a bit slower than a desktop equivalent of the same CPU.

If your laptop is also using a 5400rpm harddrive instead of a 7200rpm harddrive or SSD that can also increase the duration of the hitch as it will take it slightly longer to load assets.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
- When somebody connects to the server (not actually join a round, but just connects to the server)
Game freezes for about 1-2 seconds.
For this one, try turning "Defer player models" to on, for me it solved the issue.
Already have that set to "On", doesn't fix it for me :c
There is a thread with discussion of similar issue, though it provides same solution:
[SOLVED] - Lag everytime someone connects
Downloaded SciTech OpenGL, used OpenGL32.dll from that - game worked
That could be a problem, since GLDirect is software that emulates OpenGL via DirectX. It's discontinued, and I'm not sure about performance GLDirect can provide.

I suggest you remove GLDirect, install latest graphic drivers, pick MBII Client.
Try in console:
com_affinity 1
fx_vfps 100
Technical Issue - Lag/FPS Issue?
Game Performance&Hardware
[SOLVED] - framerate issues

Also, what is your OS? Windows 10 is a bonus trouble, due the problems with video drivers.
Pretty sure it's not a graphical problem though, my computer runs games newer than JKA smoothly at high settings.
I believe those new games are DirectX-based, not OpenGL.
Also, as Mace said, Movie Battles is single-threaded, so one of the cores won't be used anyway.

Last edited:

Karus

Donator
How much RAM you got fam?
4GB ram fam, it's lit
There is a thread with discussion of similar issue, though it provides same solution:
[SOLVED] - Lag everytime someone connects

That could be a problem, since GLDirect is software that emulates OpenGL via DirectX. It's discontinued, and I'm not sure about performance GLDirect can provide.

I suggest you remove GLDirect, install latest graphic drivers, pick MBII Client.
Try in console:
com_affinity 1
fx_vfps 100
Technical Issue - Lag/FPS Issue?
Game Performance&Hardware
[SOLVED] - framerate issues

Also, what is your OS? Windows 10 is a bonus trouble, due the problems with video drivers.

I believe those new games are DirectX-based, not OpenGL.
Also, as Mace said, Movie Battles is single-threaded, so one of the cores won't be used anyway.
I see, i'll remove GLDirect + update my drivers and i'll get back to you guys.
Thanks for the help so far!

Karus

Donator
Ok, so after uninstalling GLDirect & updating all drivers, I have seen no improvement.
However, checking "Driver Info" in the game settings, it shows that the game is still using the GLDirect Driver.
How do I go about changing it to my actual driver?
I believe that will solve the problem
UPDATE: Have attempted re-installing JKA + MBII, game still using the GLDirect driver.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Ok, so after uninstalling GLDirect & updating all drivers, I have seen no improvement.
However, checking "Driver Info" in the game settings, it shows that the game is still using the GLDirect Driver.
How do I go about changing it to my actual driver?
I believe that will solve the problem
UPDATE: Have attempted re-installing JKA + MBII, game still using the GLDirect driver.
If you have the .dll for the current driver you are using, stick it in your gamedata folder, and it will force the game to run off that driver. On the other side, check and see you don't have any out of the ordinary .dlls in your gamedata or MBII folder.

Karus

Donator
If you have the .dll for the current driver you are using, stick it in your gamedata folder, and it will force the game to run off that driver. On the other side, check and see you don't have any out of the ordinary .dlls in your gamedata or MBII folder.
Tried that, placed my System32 OpenGL in Gamedata and it simply refuses to run (Crashes on splash screen/start up) (Jasp.exe, Jamp.exe)

Karus

Donator
MBII Launcher => Settings => Engine => MBII Client => Play.

If game still crashes, copy full log here.
Ok, that fixed the crash problem.
But I'm back at square one, I'm still getting all the freezing/stuttering problems.
(UPDATE: Game now using correct drivers) (Intel HD Graphics)

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Ok, that fixed the crash problem.
But I'm back at square one, I'm still getting all the freezing/stuttering problems.
(UPDATE: Game now using correct drivers) (Intel HD Graphics)
Have you tried those console commands from my previous post (press Shift + ~ aka Shift + ` to open a console)?
com_affinity 1
fx_vfps 100

Anyhow, now I'm afraid that the source of your issues could be a hardware of your notebook, especially that Intel video. Or slow hard drive.
We've had numerous reports that Intel graphics isn't working great with mb2.

If I were you, I would create a new partition on a hard drive, and install a second copy of OS.
Also, drivers, Jedi Academy and Movie Battles and no other software, and see how it's working with that OS.
I know that's overkill, but this is the only thing that I can suggest.

Last edited:

Karus

Donator
Have you tried those console commands from my previous post (press Shift + ~ aka Shift + ` to open a console)?
com_affinity 1
fx_vfps 100

Anyhow, now I'm afraid that the source of your issues could be a hardware of your notebook, especially that Intel video. Or slow hard drive.
We've had numerous reports that Intel graphics isn't working great with mb2.

If I were you, I would create a new partition on a hard drive, and install a second copy of OS.
Also, drivers, Jedi Academy and Movie Battles and no other software, and see how it's working with that OS.
I know that's overkill, but this is the only thing that I can suggest.
Sorry for digging up this old thread, I'm still having this issue and I'd like to try your solution, but I don't really understand what to do. Could you walk me through it, if you have time? Thanks in advance!

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I don't really understand what to do. Could you walk me through it
What exactly you don't understand?

Press Shift + ~ (aka Shift + `) to open a console in MBII, type:
Code:
com_affinity 1
press Enter, type:
Code:
fx_vfps 100
press Enter. See what happens (lags/no lags).

If your notebook has Intel videocard, replace either video or notebook itself to some better hardware.

Create a new partition on a hard drive, and install a second copy of OS.

Karus

Donator
What exactly you don't understand?

Press Shift + ~ (aka Shift + `) to open a console in MBII, type:
Code:
com_affinity 1
press Enter, type:
Code:
fx_vfps 100
press Enter. See what happens (lags/no lags).

If your notebook has Intel videocard, replace either video or notebook itself to some better hardware.

Create a new partition on a hard drive, and install a second copy of OS.
I tried the two commands already, they didn't seem to do anything. I've unparked cores as well if you're wondering and still, no change.
And I was referring to partitioning the hard drive, I'll have to give that a try in a few days and see if there's any difference. If not, I'll guess I'll have to get some better hardware. Thanks for your help :)