•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue VM_Create on UI failed

I keep getting this error when I boot up the mod, a minute after I see the Movie Battles II loading screen it crashes and I get this log.

------- sound initialization -------
Initializing DirectSound
- using ancient version of DirectX -- this will slow FPS
locked hardware. ok
----- Sound Info -----
sound system is muted
1 stereo
32768 samples
16 samplebits
1 submission_chunk
22050 speed
0x9a30050 dma buffer
No background file.
----------------------
------------------------------------

--- ambient sound initialization ---
Sound memory manager started
Loading dll file ui.
Failed to load dll, looking for qvm.
Loading vm file vm/ui.qvm.
Failed.
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
VM_Create on UI failed

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Unless the skin pack comes with its own DLLs (which it has absolutely no reason to....) it has nothing to do with this.

Someone else just had this exact same problem and it was resolved by installing the x86 2013 VC++ redistributable Defiant linked, so at this point I'm a little doubtful it actually installed properly for you.

Unless the skin pack comes with its own DLLs (which it has absolutely no reason to....) it has nothing to do with this.

Someone else just had this exact same problem and it was resolved by installing the x86 2013 VC++ redistributable Defiant linked, so at this point I'm a little doubtful it actually installed properly for you.
Would you like me to show you screenshots of the installation step by step then? I’m sure it’ll help a lot then

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Would you like me to show you screenshots of the installation step by step then? I’m sure it’ll help a lot then
That doesn't seem all that productive.

Do you have msvcr120.dll in C:\Windows\System32? Should be able to find it with a quick search.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Yes it’s in there
At this point there isn't really anything I can offer to suggest. Obviously something unique to your system configuration is breaking it, but I cannot think of any way to try and troubleshoot it quickly just by providing instructions.

PM me on Discord later today if you are willing to step through some more direct remote support (I do not normally offer this, but I am genuinely curious what the actual issue is here).

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
In that case, sacrifice a lamb and say Microsoft backwards three times in front of a mirror. I cant tell you how to defeat the demon that appears, but good luck.

dwarf

Donator
I keep getting this error when I boot up the mod, a minute after I see the Movie Battles II loading screen it crashes and I get this log.

------- sound initialization -------
Initializing DirectSound
- using ancient version of DirectX -- this will slow FPS
locked hardware. ok
----- Sound Info -----
sound system is muted
1 stereo
32768 samples
16 samplebits
1 submission_chunk
22050 speed
0x9a30050 dma buffer
No background file.
----------------------
------------------------------------

--- ambient sound initialization ---
Sound memory manager started
Loading dll file ui.
Failed to load dll, looking for qvm.
Loading vm file vm/ui.qvm.
Failed.
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
VM_Create on UI failed

Assuming you used the launcher to download the update, reinstall JKA with a clean gamedata folder and download MB2 game files from moddb and install manually.

Once the files are downloaded and extracted into the gamedata folder, extract the launcher and run it.

I had a similar issue with a mate of mine, for some reason the launcher download wasn't downloading a .dll

Running installation repair, and local file check on steam said the game was downloading a file every time, but the same problem occurred. I assume, it wasn't downloading the file.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
I had a similar issue with a mate of mine, for some reason the launcher download wasn't downloading a .dll

Running installation repair, and local file check on steam said the game was downloading a file every time, but the same problem occurred. I assume, it wasn't downloading the file.

Sounds like some over zealous anti-virus in this case.