Updated Models

Model replacement packs like Peneke Pack are great, but you guys should really consider updating a lot of these models, when there are obviously new and better versions that have been released, such as Mace Windu. The Mace Windu model in the game is at least 10 years old, and there have been so many new versions of Windu released since. Other models include Obi Wan Episodes 1 and 2, Qui Gon, Shaak Ti, Plo Koon, Kit Fisto, Starkiller, and many more. I would also consider taking some of the models from FA mode and add them to Open mode, such as Eeth Koth and Cin Drallig. And, ya know, just more models, lol.

Last edited:

Penekowski

Armchair Developer
Movie Battles II Team
I'd love some more clone/ARC models...

All they gotta do is add more slots since the base Clone GLM has many parts, many skins can be done out of it but the slots are a great limitation. Maybe there's a limit engine wise, but I'm not so sure about that.

All they gotta do is add more slots since the base Clone GLM has many parts, many skins can be done out of it but the slots are a great limitation. Maybe there's a limit engine wise, but I'm not so sure about that.

I'm sure one day we'll get some more models or at the very least replace some redundant ones, some of the ARC skins for example really should be removed in favour of ones that can be recoloured using RGB sliders.

That being said, I'd kill for an Appo ARC skin tbh.

I'm sure one day we'll get some more models or at the very least replace some redundant ones, some of the ARC skins for example really should be removed in favour of ones that can be recoloured using RGB sliders.

That being said, I'd kill for an Appo ARC skin tbh.

Get in line, we're still waiting for our new models.

swagmaster

Model Fixer Dude
Movie Battles II Team
Tell about all this updated model stuff to @Spaghetti, since he handles what models get added to MBII

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I don't know man, that one is modeled after Clone Wars' stylized Plo Koon. The current one is far more accurate to his movie looks.
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...oon_TPM.png/revision/latest?cb=20130911190623
Jedi Master Plo Koon (TCW) - JKHub
Actually after you said that Iagree with that. They're both nice models but the one in the game currently is the movie version. I was thinking more of the rlly old models, like Windu, who is really outdated, and there have been many updated versions. There is are Episode 1 and Episode 2 Obi Wans both by Circa which are a lot nicer than the current models. A Shaak Ti model upgrade would also be welcome. Another one is definitely A New Hope Luke. Circa has also made a better ANH Luke that could be added to the game.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
don't forget about the LODs and the polygon count
because some ppl play on toasters and most active servers are 32p ones
See that's something a lot of people don't understand. When it comes to FPS in MBII there isn't really much difference between a $500 computer (assuming an i5 from the past five years) and a $5,000 computer. The engine is limited to a single CPU thread and heavily bottle necked by it. Couple that with the impact of code and a more complex UI compared to base (both with their own optimization issues) and a dozen poorly optimized models will threaten to bring you under 60 fps no matter what you do.

Given that CPUs don't seem to be on track for any significant performance gains in the near future, we do not have the luxury of letting technology solve the problem as was done in the earlier days of the mod. The existing (sometimes spotty) performance you have now isn't getting better unless player and weapon models get proper optimization. Hell, we could probably fix 90% of performance complaints right now if we removed all models without LODs. You'd maybe have 1/3 of the current roster left in open mode, but it'd perform quite nicely.

Also as Ben mentioned Movie Battles is and should be focused on movie characters, so certain depictions will be less favored. Player models are also a gameplay consideration. Easily identifying friend from foe and class is very important. The current open roster has a number of consistency issues in that respect which could do with improvement. The changes wouldn't necessarily be popular though.

In short: New models and improving existing models is a good thing and will continue being considered in the future. It's not the only consideration though and good gampelay is more important than yet another character model. I can only see a wide roster of characters as being critically important to a role playing game, which Movie Battles II is most definitely not.

See that's something a lot of people don't understand. When it comes to FPS in MBII there isn't really much difference between a $500 computer (assuming an i5 from the past five years) and a $5,000 computer. The engine is limited to a single CPU thread and heavily bottle necked by it. Couple that with the impact of code and a more complex UI compared to base (both with their own optimization issues) and a dozen poorly optimized models will threaten to bring you under 60 fps no matter what you do.

Given that CPUs don't seem to be on track for any significant performance gains in the near future, we do not have the luxury of letting technology solve the problem as was done in the earlier days of the mod. The existing (sometimes spotty) performance you have now isn't getting better unless player and weapon models get proper optimization. Hell, we could probably fix 90% of performance complaints right now if we removed all models without LODs. You'd maybe have 1/3 of the current roster left in open mode, but it'd perform quite nicely.

Also as Ben mentioned Movie Battles is and should be focused on movie characters, so certain depictions will be less favored. Player models are also a gameplay consideration. Easily identifying friend from foe and class is very important. The current open roster has a number of consistency issues in that respect which could do with improvement. The changes wouldn't necessarily be popular though.

In short: New models and improving existing models is a good thing and will continue being considered in the future. It's not the only consideration though and good gampelay is more important than yet another character model. I can only see a wide roster of characters as being critically important to a role playing game, which Movie Battles II is most definitely not.

Yes, indeed, if MB2 needs anything done with the models, it's consistency and most importantly, LODs. You can easily recognise some base models having 3 LODs (like the Jedi Trainer or Kyle) or 2 LODs set up for them and most of the custom models don't have any. If anybody's wondering how exactly big of an issue this is - just spawn a ****load of jedi trainers or reborns in DOTF hangar and compare the performance you would get with a normal game on a full server. This difference is drastic to say the least.

Last edited:
is it possible to learn this power make it a launcher option?
inb4 compatibility - we could just replace removed models with class-suitable placeholders

Not really, but you could make a pack that just replaces all unoptimized models with performance-friendly ones instead. Actually I'm thinking about this myself. Making a good pack for the competitive crowd. One really good model with LODs for each class. Sounds fucking sweet :))

The Unguided

Movie Battles II Team
I'd love some more clone/ARC models...

Probably the Clone/ARC classes are the most diverse when it comes to skins. I was involved in the completion of those RGB variants and trust me we tried to maximize our opportunities as far as we could.

Regarding Commander Appo, a blue coloured Commander Deviss in ARC (the one with the gogs put on, basically having red colours in the icon) might closely - if not entirely - be defined as him in the Clone Wars. While he appears as a default 501st trooper in RotS. Best of my knowledge Appo has never been seen in a truly distinguishable uniform in order to have a standalone skin worthwhile.

Last edited: