Defiant

Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Reaction score
I love it, but I'm really gonna miss the catwalk
Looks very nice! But #BringBackCatWalk
Looks amazing, can't wait to play on it. #BringBackCatWalk
dotf won't the same without the catwalk. Please consider to bring it back.
Dotf aint dotf without catwalk
Catwalk will be available through another exciting mechanism called "Loot Boxes"!

In all Seriousness though - Mace this is nothing short of a master piece. I tip my hat to you.

Reaction score
Looks good but the fact you removed the catwalk ruins it. It is integral to the map.
I like nice-looking sandwiches, however expensive sandwiches without butter not so much

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Movie Battles II Team
Reaction score
If hangar ends up needing some additional defensive high points I am willing to work on that. Such as adding N1 Starfighters with ladderstairs onto them. However, Catwalk will likely never be making a return in the form it is now. It is 75% used for camping, 25% used for holding a defensive stance on the hangar. Quite a lot of the time, and even the case several rounds when I played last night, if Imps pushed into the hangar, the rebels have already lost and all catwalk does is delay the inevitable. Sure it has some nice opportunities for good plays/kills but that doesn't at all outweigh the problems it causes. You guys are also looking at the pictures and being "omg no catwalk" without even playing it. In the new DOTF if you get pushed back out of main you definitely have lost the round by that point.

There will not be a classic dotf. Other maps that received classic versions were massive changes to the layout, and in JT's case - size, other maps with almost identical layouts like Cloud City do not have a classic version. DOTFv2 and DOTF are also partially incompatible with eachother due to some of the overlapping changes. It isn't as bad now but when the PBR updates are finished you will likely see quite a few texture issues in the old dotf.

On framerate: I haven't done full metrics on the current version as I am still working on optimizations and culling a bit. However the older versions of DOTF that still has main, hangar, gen, side, etc finished there was a 2.03x increase in detail for a 6% performance cost. That number has definitely changed now and depending on where you are on the map things will be different. However I have put a lot of work into keeping the performance cost of adding detail and making areas larger as low as possible. You will see a decrease in performance but I have been trying really hard to keep that hit low.

Reaction score
Its all new except for the skybox which is the same old barren hills :)
Maybe the new Battlfront II game can be used to somehow shoot a 360 above the city.
That would be nice.

Good job guys, i wish to never see old dotf again. But i have a feeling some people will have a hard time letting go.

Hexodious

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Reaction score
Look amazing but what about fps? Will drop a lot this new version?
On framerate: I haven't done full metrics on the current version as I am still working on optimizations and culling a bit. However the older versions of DOTF that still has main, hangar, gen, side, etc finished there was a 2.03x increase in detail for a 6% performance cost. That number has definitely changed now and depending on where you are on the map things will be different. However I have put a lot of work into keeping the performance cost of adding detail and making areas larger as low as possible. You will see a decrease in performance but I have been trying really hard to keep that hit low.

Reaction score
what if we had the catwalk remain inside of the Fed room, and the way you access it is from an elevator like the one in gen room

RC-Delta

Internal Beta Team
Reaction score
TBH it'll be awesome with or without catwalk. Hopefully though it won't erase old DOTF, cause it's fun to play it sometimes.
Also I'm on potato laptop, that fps hit concerns me :C

Reaction score
I love the new design. It looks truly amazing and I can't wait to play it. However, as defensive catwalk king I will miss it's sleek straightforward defensive capability. Shame that people ruined its potential with camping. I love the idea of any raised or elevated defence areas in hanger though. nubian fighters would definitely help

Reaction score
Visually great but have some concerns bout catwalk.. going to miss it #bringbackcatwalk (pit as well? not mentioned or shown if will be in duel or is it only gone for opens ?)

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Movie Battles II Team
Reaction score
(pit as well? not mentioned or shown if will be in duel or is it only gone for opens ?)
As said below

With these changes we no longer saw a point in having the Pit area in the main assault map
Pit will still remain in the duel map but isn't seeing any visual upgrades at this time.

Also I'm on potato laptop, that fps hit concerns me :C
Could you do /com_maxfps 0 and give me your framerate at the spectator spawn position in hangar? You may be fine.