Swapping between Wrist Laser & Flamethrower: it's past time you fixed this.

Lee

It makes 0 sense anymore why you have to swap to melee and hit weapon mode to change between the two. It only started out like this as a placeholder system (over a decade ago). It was an outlier problem not shared by any other classes at the time, mainly: how can a lvl 3 ee3 build swap between the two when weapon mode activates the snipermode of the ee3?

T
his problem has long since been solved, if you look in controls we have a ton of extra 'movie battles special alternative ability' keys to choose from. So it begs the question....why hasn't it been changed? I would argue lack of willpower, as the devs focus on classes that are dearest to their hearts and not overall continuity. I don't really have to prove that, you can prove it yourself by playing the game for 5 minutes. PLX arc went through some long needed changes fairly recently (good on you!), making it much more logical/realistic. HERO, which suffered from a very similar problem (dodge+quickthrow+dash) RECIEVED A SOLUTION! You can bind alternative ability 1, and you can now use all three of these things! Some even at the SAME TIME! I would argue the same love needs to be granted to Mandalorians here.

Solution: It's quite easy, so be sure to follow along very closely: Make alternative ability 1 swap between flamethrower and wrist laser. So basically alternative ability 1 is a weapon mode 'just for this instance'. Easy, done. I could argue that we should be able to assign flame to 1 key, and wrist to another (like dash+quickthrow hero)...but baby steps go a much longer way at this point.

Arguments against changing it:

1. It's op to let people swap between flamethrower and wrist laser so seamlessly. The idea they can flame me, and then immediately fire a p3 shot at me when the flames cease...that's insanity. They should have to swap to melee, hit weapon mode. and swap back to their weapon becoming defenseless for 3 seconds, it's only fair.

Response: You clearly main jedi. Look at the point distribution of mandalorian. The taking of these two things to begin with, makes very little sense! You lose a rocket, or you lose a lvl 3 weapon. Would you rather face westar 3 + flame + rocket mando with armour 3? The idea that this even shows up on your radar as a problem when we have westars and dmg reduction in the current state it is...is hilarious. The changes proposed also make ee3 lvl 1 viable in a build. Remember ee3 level 1? I bet you don't, you probably never even used it. But maybe you are right? Perhaps instead we change other classes, like jedi, to make the continuity make sense? We could make jedi swap to melee to swap between mindtrick and speed. Make sith swap to melee to swap between lightning and grip. I don't see anyone in power questioning why these things are fine.

2. It makes the game too confusing to make a mandalorian player assign an extra key on their keyboard just for gameplay.
Response: Then why have you done exactly that in many fa? What about hero with dash + dodge + quickthrow? The two classes share the same solution. Should I even talk about the number of keys you need to dedicate for force powers? Cmon man.

3. It's unrealistic that the mandalorian can flame, then stop flame, and automatically shoot his wrist laser.
Response: I don't know how to respond to that. I think it's more unrealistic that they can't flame and shoot wrist laser literally at the same time...but what do I know. Have you taken note of mandalorian animations? Look at how it works now: YOu swap to melee, press weapon mode, yet the hands of the mandalorian DO NOTHING, and ur now using flame instead of wrist or vice versa. How does that make any sense?!?! Shouldn't their hands move to the arm to swap the mode? If they, for some reason, needed 2 hands to press the keys on their armour to change it....you'd have a point maybe...? But they don't. They can literally taunt with their guns IN THEIR HAND ffs! Try taunting with westar 3, their fingers literally are moving with the gun in hand! And it goes against the very nature of the mandalorian to suggest they need to holster all their weapons in order to activate one of their other weapons! That's hilarious in and of itself. I mean by your argument: why don't we make it so mandalorians can't rocket unless they are in melee? lol. Mandalorians must be the laughing stock of the universe in your mind, Bh can literally jump kick, flying in midair, with their guns in hand (even shooting while doing it with ddlt's burst mode). If this is a real problem you should be asking yourself: Why can a lizard, jump through the air kicking whatever is infront of it, while firing one of the most deadly burst shots in the game!?!??!

4. It ruins the long-held traditions of melee mando.
Response: Oh boohoo, ruining a meme build that was only a thing because of its ridiculousness. Cry me a river. And when is the last time you saw a melee mando? Unlike melee Jedi, melee mando has NEVER been a consideration when changing/redesigning abilities. You shouldn't need to ask yourself why.

5. People aren't supposed to even have both these things. It's a waste of resources/time to make this change.
Response: Fine. I've already answered why it's fine for it to be a thing, good even. But if it's not even up for debate your solution is simple: Fix the continuity and disable wrist laser in the build editor when flame is chosen, and vice versa.

Last edited:

Lee

Also consider the fact it automatically swaps from wristlaser to flame if wrist hits 0. This no longer makes sense. This was done like...a decade ago....cause the old wrist laser was 6 shots and if it hit 0 it exploded and was gone for good. Now it regens, and this otherwise nice old addition forces u to do awkward swaps to melee over and over when u hit 0. You can regularly find yourself in situations where u are down to 1 wristshot consistently, hitting 0 and waiting for the regen, only to have to swap to melee to swap the autoflame out each time. That's just a horrible thing to deal with. Stuff like this really paints a picture on where the priorities/consideration aren't.

bruh, your arguments are dumb.

The classes as a whole are unbalanced despite the developers claiming balance to be their top priority, ~

would you rather face westar 3 + flame + rocket mando with armour 3

Umm, yes? any change to the balance is good as long as all (or most) classes are buffed to the point of being fun, which current classes aren't. (with exception to Jedi/Sith) but to have these powerful tools that easy to switch would just be tedious to fight especially with how the classes are now and how veterans can utilize this to destroy saberists.

Fang

Donator
We have extra specials for a reason. Should just code it to that

Last edited:
bruh, your arguments are dumb.

The classes as a whole are unbalanced despite the developers claiming balance to be their top priority, ~

Umm, yes? any change to the balance is good as long as all (or most) classes are buffed to the point of being fun, which current classes aren't. (with exception to Jedi/Sith) but to have these powerful tools that easy to switch would just be tedious to fight especially with how the classes are now and how veterans can utilize this to destroy saberists.

idk bruh, seems really dumb to say that having powerful tools easy to switch would be tedious to fight when pretty much every other class with strong alternative abilities like force powers, jumping kicks while holding a big fucking gun, and instant nade throws can use their abilities without switching.

if anything it would make it fair for a poor mando who wants to spend 20 points on flames and lazer to be able to shoot a little, flamethrow a little, then lazer all while holding the gun. infact it would probably raise the skillcap of mando as because right now if you want to use all the mando tools you're basically forced into playing melee mando