•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

[OUT OF SCOPE] Steam launcher been broken for the last few patches

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I have been pretty quiet about this because I figured it was something on my end that was going on. But ever since 1.5.4 was released, launching the game from steam crashes to desktop frequently on initial startup. No warning, no log, just crash after the startup console. This happens on multiple machines that I try, and it is getting very frustrating. Never has the game done this to me before and running base or any other mod works just fine. I can sit there and run it maybe 5 times before it finally loads up the game, which doesn't help when the game crashes on every other map change because of memory leaks (Shouldn't even get to that point I have 32 Gigs...) I will not switch to OpenJK and you can't make me by quietly breaking jamp. Either fix OpenJK's widescreen issue or let me launch from steam 100% of the time please.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
For me this started before 1.5.4 release, immediately after a window update. You are not the only one getting it, and I believe at the very least Mcbober is as well.

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
This is almost certainly due to something in the Windows environment. The past few releases have had relatively trivial code changes that wouldn't have any way of breaking things on initial startup. The launcher was last updated before 1.5.3.

I've had no issues consistently starting Steam's JAMP via the launcher with the latest Windows 10.

I will not switch to OpenJK and you can't make me by quietly breaking jamp.
WTF

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
IM ON TO YOU SPAGHETTI
Haha.

After further testing I can confirm this is 100% unrelated to MBII or the launcher.

It took awhile but I was able to get the described crash eventually (maybe one out of seven tries, but it seems more like there's periods where it will *always* crash, and then it's fine for like a minute or two). In any case, the crash is logged to Event Viewer as:
Code:
Faulting application name: jasp.exe, version: 1.0.1.0, time stamp: 0x3faa8a05
Faulting module name: MSCTF.dll, version: 10.0.18362.387, time stamp: 0x73cba2d1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00062163
Faulting process id: 0x5fc4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d593587748b927
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\jasp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSCTF.dll
Report Id:
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Note that it is jasp.exe because the launcher swaps JASP/JAMP, since Steam doesn't give third party apps any way of picking the mode. In my testing the crash still happens even if you start directly through Steam. Plugging "MSCTF.dll exception 0xc0000005" into Google shows several results this year related to games and other applications, so this seems like a recent Microsoft screw up.

Same happens to me.

1572904558166.gif

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Side note, why hasn't widescreen been fixed for openjk? That's like the only reason I don't use it, the chat is so big and in the way.

I'll start looking into MSCTF.dll thx

Hey guys! So actually, the same problem is happening to me today, I can't launch either Movie battles 2 or Jedi Academy, it crashed at the launch. The only difference with before is that Windows forced me to install quite a huge update this night, the one that takes forever to finish.
Another thing that I noted is that it also crashes games such as CS GO.
The update that I installed was the update Windows 10, version 1903. I have some more updates to download, let's hope it will solve the issues.