•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue Steam deck installation help needed please

Hi everybody,

I have been trying to install MBII on the steam deck but so far without success. The steps that I took are as follows:
1. installed steam JKA
2. Downloaded the manual MBII install. (followed the instructions on the installation & troubleshooting page)
3. Downloaded openJKA.
4. Tried to run through openJKA and/or MBII.386: gives following error:
/home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/mbii.i386: error while lo
ading shared libraries: libSDL2-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or dire
ctory

Any tips? I am a total linux naabling. Replaced my windows PC with steamdeck. Has anyone gotten the mod to run on it?

Greetings!

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
If you followed the linux install guide it doesn't talk about downloading OpenJK separately, so I'm not sure exactly what you followed.

I know of at least one case where someone successfully got it working on a steam deck but they did not write a guide.

Yeah oops. See better working guide below.
I got the game to launch. I will probably make a video guide but for now.... Here's how to do it:

Install Jedi Academy through the steam store. This will be a windows version. The game runs fine through proton from my minimal testing.

Next go to MBII archives and find the current version. Index of /releases/

Download the zip file and make sure to unzip all into your folder. Wait for it ALL to unzip. Transfer files into the Gamedata folder.

(Find this by going to steam>Manage>Properties>Browse local files.)

Go to Jedi Academy's launch Properties and type: +set fs_game "MBII" (Prevents repeated resolution resets)

Play JKA multiplayer and MBII launches! ....and you can't enter a game in servers. Nice.

(If resolution too hard to change in game: Find jampconfig in the MBII folder. In there find r_customheight to 800 and r_customwidth to 1280)

Last edited:
Makes sense that it launches, but do the animations work right, and can you actually play, shouldn't the launcher be running in the background?

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I got the game to launch. I will probably make a video guide but for now.... Here's how to do it:

Install Jedi Academy through the steam store. This will be a windows version. The game runs fine through proton from my minimal testing.

Next go to MBII archives and find the current version. Index of /releases/

Download the zip file and make sure to unzip all into your folder. Wait for it ALL to unzip. Transfer files into the Gamedata folder.

(Find this by going to steam>Manage>Properties>Browse local files.)

Go to Jedi Academy's launch Properties and type: +set fs_game "MBII" (Prevents repeated resolution resets)

Play JKA multiplayer and MBII launches!

(If resolution too hard to change in game: Find jampconfig in the MBII folder. In there find r_customheight to 800 and r_customwidth to 1280)
You have to run natively on Linux otherwise you will get kicked from servers by the AC system. So this isn't a very helpful guide.

Someone wrote a native Linux Steam Deck guide here: Movie Battles II Steam Deck installation

You have to run natively on Linux otherwise you will get kicked from servers by the AC system. So this isn't a very helpful guide.

Someone wrote a native Linux Steam Deck guide here: Movie Battles II Steam Deck installation
Yeah I only opened the firing range. Man.

Who In their right mind would play mb2 on the fucking steam deck
You can...dock it and use a mouse and keyboard? Thanks for your input?

Makes sense that it launches, but do the animations work right, and can you actually play, shouldn't the launcher be running in the background?
Yeah you're right I'm an idiot.

Might even try that guide for the lulz. I'm booting the deck into windows when using it as a desktop so I can just play MBII 'normally' but it'd be interesting to try in SteamOS.

Who In their right mind would play mb2 on the fucking steam deck
The Deck is one of the more accessible ways to Linux gaming right now so if someone prefers that OS, being able to play MBII with a dock or USB hub connecting a monitor and KB+M is handy.

Or become an absolute madman and master jedi/sith with gamepad controls.

Ok guys. I used the guide spaghetti posted as a base and got a modded steam jedi academy install working. Here are the basic steps. And yes. I did go test this on an actual server this time. Rough guide to get what I have working here.

Download Luxtorpeda from protonupqt (Install fromm Discover flatpak network)
Go to properties and force game compatibility for Lux
Launch the game (I had to twice before it worked) and let Lux install linux engine (Openjk)
Use the properties menu in steam to access your game files and go to game data
Download and unzip MB2 files into this folder
Follow step five and six on the guide in spag's comment
lnstall Lutris from Discover, Start Lutris
Go to "games" and click the plus sign.
Select Linux as your Runner and enter a name. Save.
Right Click it in Lutris and click Configure.
Go to game options and Copy-paste the file address from your open folder and add /mbii.sh at the end
Save this and it will run! Right click again and select add Steam shortcut. This won't show up until steam restarts.

Make sure to adjust your brightness in-game. Was way too dark for me. If you play in gaming mode make sure to go into settings andset the brightness to be separate from hardware. I'll wait for a bit to make sure this doesn't break somehow before I make a video on it.

Last edited: