SeV's Saber System Fix

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Bare with me and try to understand, as I lay bare some of my thoughts on the saber system. Please listen uncritically to a player who's cared for this game and sabering ystem for over 8 years. Btw, this spawned from a reply to the PB post by Apex, but the reply turned into this...

Introduction: Skip to suggestions if you want.

I think the current PB system is good, but as stassin mentioned you can sometimes accidentally PB. Another issue I see with this system is that attacking like a fucking maniac is 90% better than focusing on defensive play because of parries. In the saberclash-systems parrying happened less frequently because of halfswing exchanges. Also, Angling ur saber when both attacking and defending, and countering with proper timing was the old way of playing and I know stassin thinks it was more random than not, and therefore bad and didn't take skill, yet I disagree. The old system was full of depth and took a great deal of skill, just as the current one does. They're just different.

So why is spamming such a viable way of playing, as opposed to focusing on PBs, correct timing and skillful countering etc?
Well, because the fucking attacks PARRY and a parry is better than a PB (ignoring perks for now).

In alot of situations, alot of the time, maybe more than 70 percent of a duel, parrying blocks more hits than PBing. Parrying can block hits at 0 bp. It completely trivializes the current PB system, because at 0 BP you can just go Yoda mode and jump around, swinging and parrying, then jump to reset and repeat. With red u can use the stagger aswell for an added 0 BP bonus defense.

In essence, my gripe is not with the current PB system, but with how it was implemented and what is missing. Tweaks, not revamps or returns to old systems. If skilled veteran players all put their heads together I'm sure we can come up with improvements that'll make the current system as much fun as the old one.

So...

This list of suggestions isn't a take it or leave it whole course, it's a buffet of suggestions to somehow spice up the current rather dull and lifeless system. (it sounds like I'm saying it's bad, but what I'm saying is that it's more boring, not worse or that it takes less skill. Why do you think people left? Because saber system wasn't fun for them anymore, but it's fun for sisi I assume...)

Here are my suggestions for a better saber system.

#1 Non-Trivial Counters:
A successful PB allows the user to Counter. That Counter will 'override' a normal swing (pass through a parry) and deal extra BP damage. Only works on the first swing after a PB.

Comment: Not extra BP by a huge amount, but enough to make countering and counter-countering a desirable tactic for skilled people as compared to mindlessly spamming combos (whether they be 2 hit combos followed by quick resets to get ACM or not... it's still mindless spam that takes little skill. I don't think it's much different from 4 hit combo spamming with yellow, it's just an evolution of the same playstyle.)

On the BP multiplier, I don't know if 1.1 swingblocked and 1.3 unswingblocked will be enough, but the main point of this is not the increased BP damage, though that is a required thing to make counters less trivial and more desirable. The real focus is on the fact that this allows people who can PB+counter to BYPASS 0 bp parry spamming retards.

(Extra note: Check my youtube videos of sisi vs sekundus and you'll see alot of retarded 0 BP jump spam. Sometimse it lasts for 30 seconds spamming at 0 bp before sisi dies to sekundus)

#2 More low bp parry fixes:
Getting hit while running and swinging without swingblock causes the user to lose his lightsaber if he is below 1/2 BP and stagger if he is above 1/2 BP.

Comment: First, the values can be adjusted down to be 1/4 disarm threshold or even lower.

Reason and history: many have suggested that a jedi/sith's movement speed be slowed at low/0 BP in the past. This would interfere with open mode gameplay in a non-trivial way. My suggestion does not harm open mode gameplay, it just makes it slightly more important to be aware of your BP in-case of an enemy jedi/sith. I mean for fucks sake, a 0 BP sith in open can take on a bunch of noob jedi by spamming parries and using red stagger and BP is supposed to be for blocking lightsaber attacks. You shouldn''t be just fine without BP against a jedi/sith... as said before it trivializes PB and the entire MB2 system, returning us to a base-like state of retarded spam. This 0 skill shit has to stop, and suggestion #1 and #2 help solve this problem. There is no good reason not to implement.

#3 Cyan Perk
Yes, the cyan parry perk has to get the fuck out of here. it encourages a retarded, 0 skill noobish playstyle that I've tried to crush with suggestions #1 and 2.

Comments: If cyan has to be removed from the game as a useless style, so be it. But cyan's parry perk opposes all that is good about the current saber system and has to go.

#4 Cyan revamp
Cyan's first swing is yellow speed, blue dmg (ish), and with each swing in the combo/chain it increases in speed and damage until it is blue speed, yellow damage at around 4 swings? Upon reset, returns to being Yellow speed, blue dmg.

New perk:
Performing an Mblock (with PB), makes the counter start at blue speed, yellow BP dmg level.

Comments: Cyan is too weak without the derpy, SHITTY parrying perk. Revamping cyan is no small matter. My first suggestion is to make cyan's first swing slower, but each subsequent swing increase in speed within the combo chain. First swing speed starts out around yellow level , with blue dmg, and as we get deeper into the swings, speed and damage increase to reverse, blue speed and yellow dmg. This happens for combos and single swings alike within a given combo-chain (You know, before the reset. So you can combo ur way up to extremely fast halfswings). This would make cyan a unique aggressive style instead of the derpy, half-assed style that it currently is.

The perk requires skill to be good, unlike the disgusting parry perk.

#5 Staff changes
Staff mblocks no longer stagger the opponent. Instead, they get an active verson of the stagger on the currently unused saberthrow button.

Active stagger: Works like the mblock stagger, has a cooldown of 8 seconds, requires a PB+button press to succeed so that it still takes timing and some skill.

Comments: The current staff stagger mechanic is simply too overpowered considering staff's def and off stats. It also slows duels to a crawl. It is simply too overpowered. Yes it takes a little bit of skill to use, but if you practice it you can perform it just as easily as you PB and thus the amount of skill needed to execute it is not in proportion to how good it is.

My suggestion is a nerf to the stagger mechanic. Even if it got removed entirely staff would still be an excellent style because it has good defense and offensive stats. Also, the 8 sec cooldown can be shown like the slap cooldown is currently.

#6 Slap/kick
This one is simple, up the cooldown from 2.5 sec to 4 seconds.

Comments/reasoning: Slap is often spammed. Making the cooldown longer does not impact duels in a negative way, as there's no saberclash facehug anymore, just regular old facehug which doesn't have much of an effect. The second reason for increasing slap cooldown is that it helps guide players towards using the PB+Counter mechanic that I mentioned above. It also helps make revamped cyan playstyle more dangerous. It reinforces proper use of slap, combats spamming it constantly.

#7 Duals changes
Duals stab no longer gives the user an ACC.
You can only parry with the first swing in a combo.
Duals stab can parry+knockback. Main defensive mechanic on duals.
Duals have slightly more BP multiplier than before to compensate for loss of combo-spammed parries as a defensive mechanic.

Comments: It's quite simple really. Duals is a spammy playstyle that can completely ignore PBs. When playing duals, you NEVER EVER focus on PBing, instead only on attacking, parrying, stabbing, gaining ACM and running away to regen BP... Very gay style of play atm.

#8 Red changes
Red loses PB BP drain perk.

New Perk: The parry bypass from PBing+Countering lasts for the entire combo instead of for only 1 swing.

In addition, Red gets a new ability. Pressing the saberthrow button makes reds first swing a halfswing, exactly like the old weaponswitch/twirl trick, but HP damage is decreased to 50 HP. (To balance in open-mode) and movement speed is slowed to 80 percent for 2 sec after pressing the button. Lasts 2 sec before expiring. Takes 0.5 sec before you can attack after you've pressed the button and activated the ability.

Cooldown 8 seconds

Comments: The old red PB perk makes it a very strong stance and without the perk it's perhaps not strong enough. The Parry bypass perk allows reds counter-combo's to be effective and is a more attack oriented perk as it bypasses parry defenses. Also, the counter combo can be slapped making it a more risky perk with less success chance. All this serves to increase the skill it takes to play with and against red while slightly nerfing the defensive power.

The new halfswing ability is needed for red to give it a more attack-based flavour. I don't care what anyone says, red should have this ability. If an 8 sec cooldown proves to be too short, then increase it to 10 seconds, Idc. With such a long cooldown it is trivial in the actual duel itself, but serves to spice things up and keep players on their toes against red, knowing that at any moment the Red user can go brutal offense. It gives red more unique flavour similar to playing against the current stagger staff. If a style has a mechanic you cannot ignore, that gives personality to that style. Red is an iconic aggressive style so why not give it this ability? It is not overpowered at all compared to the 8+ BP drain on PB perk, and if implemented with the HP dmg nerf to swings in that combo it won't make the style OP in open either, though it'll give red users an opportunity to finish off facehugging gunners that they've deflected down to low HP. Another bonus, though not a dueling bonus, still worth noting.

#9 Blue changes
Make blue spins fast so that you can utilize those combos in combat and not be afraid of spinning.

Comments: Blue is already a good, unique, fun style loved by many. Perhaps it's a tad strong but that's to be expected because of the parry shit. With my PB+Counter suggestion bypassing parries for a single swing, it should help balance things out vs spammy styles like blue. The above suggestion makes blue users able to attack in more varied ways, and I know everyone would appreciate it if spinning didn't fuck them over with blue. It helps even the slight nerf that the PB+Counter introduces to blue in a non OP or otherwise annoying or roundabout way.

Extra note: It would be cool if you could slow down blue counters just a tad, and make blue users able to counter with a w swing in a proper manner. Think of a kendo strike, that's the kind of blue counter I'd like to see more of. Make this new blue counter as prevalent about as prevalent as the yellow left swing counter.

#10 Force powers.
Force Speed becomes a neutral force power.

Jedis get Force Heal.

lvl 1 cost 4 - drains 20 fp per sec, heals 5 hp per second. User is immobile (Kneeling heal stance)
lvl 2 cost 6 - drains 10 fp per sec, heals 6 hp per sec. User is immobile (Kneeling heal stance)
lvl 3 cost 8 - drains 10 fp per sec, heals 10 per sec. User can move while healing.

Note: I'd like speed to be implemented regardless of heal. There's an argument for giving Jedis force grip. Sith can use lightning (sith Sorcery), but all force users can use grip to some extent and as Kyle said, the forcepower itself is not evil, it's how you use it. So you can put grip in both jedi and sith if my force heal suggestion is not to your liking.

Comments: Why? Speed is needed in the current dueling system to counter the retarded backslash and with jedi's being the only ones to have speed, it makes sith less versatile in dueling. Also, the many implications in open recommend speed. If sith have speed... there are so many tactical implications. They had it before, they can have it again. It's worth a try. People want it, old vets, newer players, recognized MB2 personalities. So many ppl are asking for this. So give it to them.

The specifics of force heal balancing can be changed to suit the balance. My values are just placeholder suggestions.

Last edited:
That's just idiotic. Of course in any game or any sport or any activity, there will be some point where doing X works against anyone who doesn't know how to do Y, and suddenly when you face someone who can do Y it doesn't work anymore, but Z will. That's nothing more than skill plateaux it obviously also applies to your beloved previous saber systems, but oh damn, X, Y, Z aren't the same thing anymore so suddenly you're thrown into low skill realms, that can't be fun.
What I meant is that styles are ridiculously unbalanced when people are of even, but not top tier skill levels. Pointing out that certain someone can win against some styles does not prove a god damn thing. Nobody claims it's impossible to master the system to the extent that you'll go vs any style and win. The problem is that you have to be a top tier player for that, but until then certain styles are better than others, period.

Noob StyleX wins vs Noob StyleY
Average StyleX still wins vs Average StyleY
Advanced StyleY wins or ties vs Advanced StyleX
Pro StyleX wins vs Advanced StyleY, but with lots of effort
Pro StyleY wins vs Advanced StyleX, without much effort
This is not balance. Styles are supposed to be balanced among players of similar skill levels, regardless how high or low that skill level is. This is not achievable with Perks system, because it makes the styles too different (I guess that was the point?) which in turn makes the difference between style efficiency far too wast when different skill levels are taken into consideration.

But I see you're as stupid as ever, so whatever.

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Styles are supposed to be balanced among players of similar skill levels, regardless how high or low that skill level is.
The only interesting thing you said is this, and it's a very heavy assumption which is basically never encountered in any game, and certainly not previous saber systems. Saying this assumption should be verified is basically the same as refusing any scenario of that type:
doing X works against anyone who doesn't know how to do Y, and suddenly when you face someone who can do Y it doesn't work anymore, but Z will.
so again this assumption obviously doesn't hold even the slightest bit in previous mb2 saber systems.

It previous systems it wasn't just "oh I can do this? Ok I'll be doing this", it was about learning to do something more efficiently. It was way more balanced among different skill tiers.

Stassin

Donator
Following the idea of removing red's BP drain on PB, it may be nice to give that perk to cyan to replace its bad parry perk. Would give some incentive to do more than just spam with cyan.

Perks of such kind need to go entirely. Playing defensive should be for... defense, not draining opponent's BP.

Preston

Nerd
Following the idea of removing red's BP drain on PB, it may be nice to give that perk to cyan to replace its bad parry perk. Would give some incentive to do more than just spam with cyan.

Both of those perks are bad imo. But not nearly a bad as Red's stagger atm. I didn't even realize you didn't have to land all of the hits to get a stagger. You can just swing twice in the air and then get a third hit, pblocked or not and get someone staggerd? what? Like that doesn't even seem logical to me. It just gives a huge advantage to red because of that feature. If you are going to remove one perk, I would say remove the stagger perk. At least that is what I would do.

Stassin

Donator
Perks of such kind need to go entirely. Playing defensive should be for... defense, not draining opponent's BP.
I would totally agree that something to differentiate styles such as perks is unneeded, and that swing speeds/etc. are enough for that, if we were to remove cyan/purple/duals/staff, keeping only blue (fast, strong vs guns, weak vs saber)/yellow (middle ground)/red (slow, strong vs saber, weak vs guns). A system like that would be nice, simple, clean. In previous versions it was almost like that, cyan/purple didn't exist and staff/duals were not cared for, but that's no longer the case because we wanted to introduce cyan/purple, and i wanted to get rid of all previously useless/unused features, duals/staff being one of them to some extent.

With what we have now... removing perks would mean cyan=blue, red=purple, yellow=duals=staff, almost. Which means cyan/purple/duals/staff would be useless features, my archenemy.

With that said... i would personally probably enjoy a "nice, simple, clean" system as much or more than what we have now, so if people massively vouch for the removal of cyan/purple/duals/staff i would make it happen. With the clean mechanics of today's saber system, it would look much more like a "finalized product" than the current mess (in the end, i think having a big variety of styles is maybe just confusing and not fun, not straight enough ://).

Preston

Nerd
I would totally agree that something to differentiate styles such as perks is unneeded, and that swing speeds/etc. are enough for that, if we were to remove cyan/purple/duals/staff, keeping only blue (fast, strong vs guns, weak vs saber)/yellow (middle ground)/red (slow, strong vs saber, weak vs guns). A system like that would be nice, simple, clean. In previous versions it was almost like that, cyan/purple didn't exist and staff/duals were not cared for, but that's no longer the case because we wanted to introduce cyan/purple, and i wanted to get rid of all previously useless/unused features, duals/staff being one of them to some extent.

With what we have now... removing perks would mean cyan=blue, red=purple, yellow=duals=staff, almost. Which means cyan/purple/duals/staff would be useless features, my archenemy.

With that said... i would personally probably enjoy a "nice, simple, clean" system as much or more than what we have now, so if people massively vouch for the removal of cyan/purple/duals/staff i would make it happen. With the clean mechanics of today's saber system, it would look much more like a "finalized product" than the current mess (in the end, i think having a big variety of styles is maybe just confusing and not fun, not straight enough ://).
Remove the perks but not the styles. You could adjust the amount of swings these styles could do in a combo, swing speed, bp drain and others. This would make cyan not just another blue and so on.

defending red staggering is unforgivable

it doesnt matter at all if its balanced, or it helps red, or whatever

even if red only staggered if you had full ap and did 2 hits of the combo on one person and then a third on someone else, it should still be removed

anything that removes control from the player needs to have extreme justification to exist in any game as a basic feature of game design

I just think that punishing someone for doing what they were supposed to do makes no sense (staff stagger, red pblock stagger, swingblock stagger.) But I hated stagger.
The cyan stagger is pretty bad too.

Last edited:

Imo the idea that all these styles would be the same without perks is incorrect. The styles have different successful combos, different swing speeds, different bp drains per body hit, and different special swings. These alone are what make dueling intricate and fun to play the perks take away from needing to haev a knowledge of the style you wanted to use to be good at it. You claim staff/red were useless prior to this build but all to the contrary oo8 and insane were both very good red duelists beating a large majority of their opponents even back in the rc builds, Xan was an amazing staff duelist in rc3 even winning the early AOD saber tournament with staff alone beating Super, Insane, and Firestrike in the tournament. The styles were never useless people just did not take the time to use them properly. So do not remove the styles just at minimum make the perks bearable to duel against or even remove them and go back to the glory days when you had to know your own style to win not abuse the perks to do so.
Also to be perfectly honest this system could be made great by reducing range for a successful pb/parry and adjusting the perks the large majority of the rest of the system is fun and balanced.

I don't want the styles removed. In fact I approve of the addition of Cyan and Purple, just not how they're made to "fit in". Make it so that Blue is defensive but not too spammy, Cyan is spammy (easy interrupts) but in turn has less def (it only makes sense, aren't you holding saber in 1 hand while using Cyan?), Red is strong and has fast combos at an expense of low def. Not too sure about Purple. I think it's pretty slow and somewhat easier to PB, so maybe make it pretty strong and stagger on 3rd swing if it's not PB'd.

Also, if we're balancing styles, how about making it so all styles deal similar (with slight variance) DPS while the opponent is knocked down? I never liked how it's more efficient to switch to a certain style in order to deal more damage to a slapped opponent. It doesn't depend on skill at all.

Last edited:

This is what I was getting at in my original posts. We had a pretty definitive and nearly finished system back in B18-RC1, but we sacrificed a lot of the continuity and original flair for innovative and new ideas in an attempt to bring more viability into the system. Was yellow the prominent style? Yes it was. Did blue and red need tweaks to their BP drains to make them just as viable? Yes. Did yellow need some kind of tweaks to change looking down and halfswinging? Sure. Did PB needed to be looked at to make it more consistent? Yes it did. Was there much else that needed fixing to be the perfect system to finish MBII on? In my opinion, no.

What we had at that time was an almost finalized product. After RC1, the above changes and suggestions went unacknowledged. Instead the active coders at the time went in a new direction and injected their own changes into the saber system coding - removing nudge, adding stagger, reduced damage on swingblock, more damage on running attacks, removing the BP drain cooldown, changing AP values entirely, adding a cooldown to how fast you can change saber stances (used to be doable mid swing), massively increased BP damage on katas, addition of perks, and the new PB.

I agree that PB needed to be more consistent but I think the price of removing the relevance of the weighted saber hitbox and saber positioning during idle blocking was too much. No more active saber placement interaction during the ongoing duel. By proxy, no more swing resets or combo cancels either. Cyan and purple shouldn't have been added until blue / red / duals got tweaked to where they were actually in a good spot, not band-aid fixed with perks. Staff was still very viable due to it's saber hitbox size and the things you could do with it.

or even remove them and go back to the glory days when you had to know your own style to win not abuse the perks to do so.

Has anyone else noticed that we've devolved from players having their own saber style to how well they can use the given stances (specializing in cyan / red etc) and how well you can PB. When all the original tools of nudging / swing resetting / idle blocking got removed, coupled with the new PB, no one has their own trademark playstyles anymore, being good now is determined by how well you can use the perks of this system.

I remember Euopean duelists like K)illin(G going so far as mastering holding mblock down and not letting go, using the saber hitbox to actively PB and nudge/instaswing hits off the enemy's saber. While it looked ridiculous and not healthy visually, that was one example of the raw mechanical power of keeping the saber hitbox intact in the dueling system - that one mechanic alone went so far as to create it's own subset style of dueling that was perfectly viable with pros and cons. When the saber hitbox vanished I'm surprised no one tried to bring it back or realized the sheer importance of it. It bothers me how much core value was lost in the march towards progress.

If you have some of the older builds Stassin, you should try playing around with them and taking what you like from them. I would really be curious to see what some of the older systems would be like with all the refined mechanics of today's system supporting them.

Last edited:

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Shush firestrike. You remind me of the good old days and make me want to go back x.x

In all seriousness though. Some of the old mechanics were simply great fun and I do miss them. (bring back the RC1 block anims!)

I also think there is some merit to the idea of removing cyan/purple. The problem is that these styles might be made viable if we 'fix' certain issues. Also, does it really matter if cyan is just a slightly different blue clone? It can give variety to the system without breaking it with stupid perks.

It turns out that balancing 7 styles is quite hard. Instead of trying to balance all saber styles for dueling, how about we focus on a core set of styles and have a few saber styles like cyan, purple, duals? be tuned for open mode rather than dueling.

Then we can give yellow, blue and red interresting dueling perks and focus on balancing them solely/mostly around dueling.

Also, in terms of dueling, the idea that we want faster gameplay and anything that slows down gameplay (which was a philosophy of the previous dev team), is simply flawed. It is the reason why they increased drains for unswingblocked hits and made run hits do more bp dmg and buff katas and special no-skill ***** attacks to high heaven. These buffs were made to quicken the gameplay, but it had a profoundly negative effect on dueling. Instead of trying to speed up duels, we should focus on making skill count more. The current special attack meta is ridiculous and I preferred the old days when raw timing and saber elegance ruled over xXxspeshul attack meister 420xXx and perk-abuser jenkins.

So what to do to increase skill and reduce the effectiveness of speshul attack meister420?

***-Nerf kata/butterfly/stab dmg (make them defensive/open mode tuned) - have them do less BP dmg and not give any ACC. Alternatively make them PBable by just aiming at the body. That way the nerf requires a little skill (not much, but more skill req is always good).

***-Make unswingblocked hits do 0.9 BP dmg and swingblocked hits do 1.1 BP dmg. Fuck risk/reward mentality and go for skill. If u can swingblock 4 hit yellow combos all day vs a runspamming speshul attack mongrel, you should be rewarded for ur skill not punished for playing properly. Ridiculous mindset at play here.

***-Make runhits do 0.8 BP dmg. Gameplay wise high bp dmg runhits isn't a good idea. It also makes no sense in terms of fighting theory. Running doesn't increase the power of your attacks, rather it limits the power. Standing still, then walking forward as you swing would be the most powerful technique, so nerfing runhits makes sense. In terms of gameplay, I don't know why you'd want to reward ppl for runhitting since runhitters usually don't know what they're doing (and if they do, they are abusing 420noscopeMLGspeshulattackpros and should be promptly executed)

***-Reintroduce RC1 block anims on successful PBs, but without the limitations, making it a purely aesthetic addition. You get used to the stiff unmoving stances... but if u go back and play RC1 you instantly fall in love all over again with how dynamic and sexy it looked.

***-Reintroduce RC1 block anims on successful PBs, but without the limitations, making it a purely aesthetic addition. You get used to the stiff unmoving stances... but if u go back and play RC1 you instantly fall in love all over again with how dynamic and sexy it looked.

I'd love to see this, for one it makes more logical sense then just the same idle animation, and also this would look much more visually pleasing of which would make the mod even more addicting in my opinion ^, please someone make this a reality :)

Stassin

Donator
@SeV could you test the new flinch feature we've been talking about in beta ? I'd rather have your feedback, and agent's and Jiube's too if possible, before going through with it. It think it will probably make the gameplay more similar to RC1 again, and at the same time lessen the influence of perks quite alot.

Blocking animations: it's not easy to get that feature in, but who knows maybe someday i'll manage to, hope.

Preston

Nerd
@SeV could you test the new flinch feature we've been talking about in beta ? I'd rather have your feedback, and agent's and Jiube's too if possible, before going through with it. It think it will probably make the gameplay more similar to RC1 again, and at the same time lessen the influence of perks quite alot.

Blocking animations: it's not easy to get that feature in, but who knows maybe someday i'll manage to, hope.
Now all there is to do is remove perks all together.. ;D just my opinion no offense meant.