SBD Strategies

Bos

Hello!
I've recently gotten back from a decently long hiatus from the game and have gotten back into playing, I've noticed however an influx of SBD players recently. I have also noticed that said SBD players tend to play very campy. In that they typically on Death star for example, they tend to box camp the majority of the rounds. Is there no other way to play SBD's outside of abusing hit boxes? As a very slow class with very obvious counters I can see why they're focused on defensive play but surely being the tank of the imperial team they should have more versatility in their play? I'm by no means an experienced SBD player (Although I'd like to learn soon enough), but I just don't understand alternatives to playing them in the way they are most commonly played. As from my spectating SBD players what tends to happen is a. They camp behind a corner with their arm sticking out the side typically at a choke point or any other potentially defensive cover spots (although quite commonly again slightly abusing hit boxes), or b. they move around try to be aggressive and end up getting caught out alone or with minimal team support and die relatively quickly. So how exactly are you meant to play the class without camping and abusing hit boxes as from experience it can be quite annoying trying to fight an SBD or SBDs who is using hit box exploiting cover or worse abusing advanced targeting to shoot over said cover. Again specifically for Death star and Dotf being the only maps played on NA. I'm generally both interested to potentially learn more about the class and its strategies outside of the typical play that tends to appear.

Last edited:

Fang

Donator
In my honest opinion, the most effective SBD (despite it's current state) is to be the hall monitor. Camping defense and suppressive support for others. You mainly spoke of deathstar and DOTF which are Imp sided anyway. So your job is to suppress the other end of corridors from afar or hold choke angles such as Right Corridor. Boring yes but play another class realistically if you want to be in the thick of it.

If I were to suggest anything in the event you need to push on a map such as mustafar or whatnot, be near the boys because being alone in this current state of dodge meta and jedi spam you're gonna have a sans bad time. Your points are just not worth it. Recharge 3 is essential, Firepower 3 is love, firepower 3 is life.

Our (AOD's) best SBD players pretty much say its firepower or dont bother

Pretty much what Fang said, SBD is strongly suited as a defensive class. Stick in the back and lay down firepower you want to be behind others laying it down hard because while strong SBD isnt invincible and you can get more down from the back rather then the front lines.

Bos

Unfortunate, I was hoping there would be some alternative to play style. I understand defensive play and such as it makes a lot of sense for the class that it is. Doesn't make me any less annoyed about the fact that most SBDs will abuse the shit out of death star boxes. But regardless thank you.

Camp in the back of wherever your team is or around the objective and hope a Jedi doesn't run up and and crouch and hold rmb in front of you.

Bos

It also seems like the community really, really, really hates SBDs with a passion. To the point that I saw an SBD earlier today being tked as a result by his own team for and I quote "I hate SBDs".

i found minmaxing SBD build towards offense (no armor, full ammo, battery and FP) makes for a fun experience
at least it did once when i tried it on DS

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Fp3, battery 3 and 150 hp really makes the most fun sbd build. Just keep your crosshair at head’s height and pew pew. They are also more fun to play against because these sbds arent so tanky so imo they are balanced. What I hate the most are magnetic plated tanker sbds with fp1-2. Those builds are also the uttermost boring tryhard builds to play.

Another fun twist is the complete opposite sbd build: the tank

-Firepower 0 (means you have to make the shots count)
-cortosis or blast armor depending which serves you the best depending on what youre playing against
-magnetic plating
-battery 3
-200 hp

Last edited:

Bos

Fp3, battery 3 and 150 hp really makes the most fun sbd build. Just keep your crosshair at head’s height and pew pew. They are also more fun to play against because these sbds arent so tanky so imo they are balanced. What I hate the most are magnetic plated tanker sbds with fp1-2. Those builds are also the uttermost boring tryhard builds to play.

Another fun twist is the complete opposite sbd build: the tank

-Firepower 0 (means you have to make the shots count)
-cortosis or blast armor depending which serves you the best depending on what youre playing against
-magnetic plating
-battery 3
-200 hp
Hmm i'll have to try those out.

Unfortunate, I was hoping there would be some alternative to play style. I understand defensive play and such as it makes a lot of sense for the class that it is. Doesn't make me any less annoyed about the fact that most SBDs will abuse the shit out of death star boxes. But regardless thank you.
It has been some time, but last time I saw the SBD player Chimera he played offensively and was above 100 kills with about 15 deaths on DS. In my time watching him play that day and my limited time with the class you can do you well on offense but you need to be very carful and particular about what you do. Honestly, from what I have seen going offensive is the wrong move, but it can be done. SBD is best suited to the defense with slow movement speed and it being a large target. You also need to consider how much battery you have. A SBD with low power will move slow and drastic fire rate reduction. Wookie is the closest to SBD and does not have to worry about battery usage in combat. The AI group who play SBD and the like would have the most knowledge but I'm not certain if they speak on these topics/issues. As for the usage of cover and boxes that could be a whole separate conversation.

Bos

It has been some time, but last time I saw the SBD player Chimera he played offensively and was above 100 kills with about 15 deaths on DS. In my time watching him play that day and my limited time with the class you can do you well on offense but you need to be very carful and particular about what you do. Honestly, from what I have seen going offensive is the wrong move, but it can be done. SBD is best suited to the defense with slow movement speed and it being a large target. You also need to consider how much battery you have. A SBD with low power will move slow and drastic fire rate reduction. Wookie is the closest to SBD and does not have to worry about battery usage in combat. The AI group who play SBD and the like would have the most knowledge but I'm not certain if they speak on these topics/issues. As for the usage of cover and boxes that could be a whole separate conversation.
I've seen Chimera play but not nearly to the extent that you mentioned. I've also played with other A.I players and none of them seemed particularly interested in advice giving. What is "The A.I. Group" exactly? I had always assumed it was just a group of friends who went under that alias and played exclusively SBD/Deka, However it seems to be more of a meme of people who play said classes anymore. As for cover/box use I only mentioned it because I've heard countless complaints in-game about SBD cover usability on certain maps that make them extremely impervious to shots, and Ideally wanted to avoid causing further salt and anger in the community.

SBD is one of the easiest classes in the game to play, actually. As long as there are no wooks, you can get pretty bold with it tbh.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Sbd with fp3 is quite fun at offensive but does not excel in open areas obviously due to its lack of speed and being a huge target. You can be offensive though in closed and semi closed areas where you can easily retreat back to cover. Element of surprise is especially deadly with fp3. For example if you manage to surprise a duo of gunners the first gunner can be dead before the duo even knows what hit them and then the other gunner is already under some heavy fire.

But yeah as others have said, sbd is best at defense and support fire. Cover is always important for this class.