Sabering Modifications?

Duckshark

Internal Beta Team
Hi, I'm new here. I've been playing for a couple of weeks, but before that I wised up and read a bunch of guides on literally everything in this game. But I feel like dueling is still a problem, because I found out that running out of BP is countered by wildly spamming combos, and swingblocking feels unrealistic.

What if combos were limited to having the first hit not be PB'd? It doesn't make sense for a real sword fighter to have a strike blocked and then be able to swing another few times at a blocking person quickly, it'd make more sense if the individual hits were more precise and combos were follow-ups to strikes. The only real fighting where one can just whale on somebody else is boxing, because blocking a punch doesn't affect the aggressor.

Also, slapping in a duel only makes sense if the opponent isn't swinging. Who would consider a barehanded attack useful against an enemy swinging an indestructible laser sword? Slaps should only connect if the opponent is readying or following through a strike, or jumping/crouching.

Swingblocking seems like a sort of exploit, and really unrealistic. If you parry, then ok. But who blocks a slap by swinging a sword while blocking during the attack? By making slaps more opportunistic, it'd make sense for them to have longer cooldown, and swingblocking would be disregarded for pure offense when swinging, and the variety of PBs, MBs, and parries on defense.

Note that I am a total noob, but these solutions seem logical, not difficult to implement (comparatively), and it would make dueling less combo-based and more about precise strikes, because a single lightsaber strike is basically game over for the recipient.

If there are pros out there, and you see something I missed, feel free. Please don't write "dumb lol bye," though. I want to understand the dueling system, and I really like this mod.

I'm not exactly a master duellist (I don't know whether I can even consider myself a good duelist) so I'll try to help has much as I can
If you're having issues with your swings being PBed, then consider learning to yaw and try to be even more unpredictable.

As for some parts of duelling being a unrealistic and illogical, please remember that this is a mod to game from a franchise where a cyborg lizard with tuberculosis is considered a deadly warrior. There's alot of illogical things in Star Wars know general, so I don't think slapping people during duels is such a ridiculous idea ;)

On a more serious note, I heavily disagree with the notion that game mechanics should be more realistic. Its always more important for a game to be fun than for it to be like the real world. Video games aren't a media that we enjoy because it's perfectly represents our struggles with school, work and relationships. We enjoy them because they fullfil a certain fantasy for us.

I think you've simply lost one too many duels are feel the need to blame your loss on mechanics that you don't feel comfortable with, which is understandable. Be patient, there will always be something to learn in game.

Duckshark

Internal Beta Team
No, I get it, I'm not butthurt because I have a 100% loss rate in duels, but I think that fun is lost when a guy with a lightsaber will enter a fight, swing, get blocked, then the opponent will just start comboing, which leads to more combos before one guy gets slapped because of swingblocking. Like yawing, which shouldn't be a legitimate and widely accepted strategy. No Star Wars fight I ever heard of consisted of tilting into the ground to disguise a blow (exaggeration).

I know fun>realism, but I feel like the current duel system is combo mania compared to past builds (from videos of pro duels) and that emphasis on smart fighting should be more than swingblocking, which, to me, is kind of weird. Things like footwork and mind games about the placement of a second strike should be more important than learning how not to get knocked over and instakilled from a slap mid-fight.

Sorry for the rant, I respect the skill of those better than I.