Saber staff current state

Ok first of all I get staff is not use much in high level gameplay. But what are your thoughts. Did the change to blocking arc matter. What should be changed if anything.

Nice mainly I just wanted to get people talking about it I've been playing for only. 6 month's Don't get me wrong It's my favorite style in the one I play the most.. I guess what I meant by defense Ark. Is the fact that there's 2 blades it seems that if you're not careful your BP can get drained pretty fast. I do love that you can hit with the other end of the blade even if it's not meant to be the intended strike. And I guess its lack of openers I guess would be In relation to the range. . And is far is the half swings I'll definitely take your word for it but it brings me to my original point that there's little to no Guide material on the staff. Every guide I found literally just skips over staff.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Nice mainly I just wanted to get people talking about it I've been playing for only. 6 month's Don't get me wrong It's my favorite style in the one I play the most.. I guess what I meant by defense Ark. Is the fact that there's 2 blades it seems that if you're not careful your BP can get drained pretty fast. I do love that you can hit with the other end of the blade even if it's not meant to be the intended strike. And I guess its lack of openers I guess would be In relation to the range. . And is far is the half swings I'll definitely take your word for it but it brings me to my original point that there's little to no Guide material on the staff. Every guide I found literally just skips over staff.

The increased defense arc on staff just means it's harder to backwhack and shoot in the ass than other styles.

The thing that drains your BP fast is getting interrupted in this patch. Staff itself is pretty tanky with higher damage than blue style. Just be patient and learn to perfect block and single hit spam = insta OP in this shit patch.

Some good halfswings are WA, SA and the side ones like A are fast too. To test the halfswing timing, hold a direction like WA or SA + reload and swing in the air. You can also test it on dummies.

What you want to do with staff is stay close at all times because range is literally staffs only real weakness and even that can be overcome if you're good at PBing. So stay close and carefully use halfswings and then occasionally (often after your opponent has tried to slap you and failed), you can unleash a big combo. It's currently in a better place than it was in the past where it was uber OP, now it is just slightly OP.

EDIT: 2 hit combos are powerful with staff as well, if you can swingblock well enough to avoid getting slapped close range. For example, WA+SD is good. Or SA+WD

Last edited:

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
Correct;
View attachment 4304
But if you notice, it is weaker than Yellow & Duals in attack yet stronger in defence (like I've been saying this entire time). "Yellow 12/55, Staff 10/70, Duals 11/50"...

In fact, in 1.5.1 the AP was reduced to 9 and the BP reduced to 65.
Yes its offense is nearly as good as yellow but can tank a lot more due to much better defense values. Plus faster swings have higher chance to interrupt and makes it harder to react to. So yes staff is stronger than yellow and duals

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
In terms of people that are experienced/good with the styles they're using, I've considered Staff to be the strongest for a few years (it's mostly just a bit more annoying to use and less suited for more general usage in Open so it's picked up less than other styles). Blue is up there simply because if someone doesn't make too many errors, they can just bore you into making your own/it takes so long to kill them that you'll inevitably start making more (it's mostly just a matter of not being worth the effort).

^
I always thought that Blue is really fucking good but it's so boring to play that you need to be on some severe meds to actually long-term duel and main with it because you do nothing and receive nothing

In terms of people that are experienced/good with the styles they're using, I've considered Staff to be the strongest for a few years (it's mostly just a bit more annoying to use and less suited for more general usage in Open so it's picked up less than other styles). Blue is up there simply because if someone doesn't make too many errors, they can just bore you into making your own/it takes so long to kill them that you'll inevitably start making more (it's mostly just a matter of not being worth the effort).
absolute facts

Probably not the right place to post this but speaking about staff, i don't know if it is a previous bug or something brought with 1.6, i dueled somebody yesterday bugging the end of the butterfly dfa animation. Seems like jumping was part of the bugging, not sure though, didn't try it myself. After that the animation lock and it can do a hell lot of damage somehow.

Reactions: SuM