Saber staff current state

Ok first of all I get staff is not use much in high level gameplay. But what are your thoughts. Did the change to blocking arc matter. What should be changed if anything.

I personally think the change too the blocking arc helped. Also what's are some or your tips strategy with the staff.

Staff is a mixed bag, in my personal opinion.

You get the tryhard staff using GJO members who are competent with spamming it until they ultimately get the most BS backwhack known to dueling (or they actually manage to overwhelm you with the 4-hit spam and successfully win a duel properly) OR you realise it does no damage whatsoever against decent+ tier duelists and never touch it again.

As for Open, @Gargos proves the staff to be more than optimal for taking down just about anything. A wider blocking arc as you mentioned which is always helpful vs gunners, the super awesome mega backflip counter-mando epic destroyer slash and even a butterfly / windmill special attack which helps prolong your inevitable demise or even cover some ground whilst cutting down everyone in your way.

Tips with staff? Don't treat it as an offensive weapon. I don't know why, but it is so much weaker compared to Yellow and Duals. Use it to provide cover for your team, slowly pushing corridors, utilise the super awesome mega backflip counter-mando epic destroyer slash as well as the butterfly and windmill and finally if you do get into a bit of confrontation (or you need to be aggressive), do not fear the 4-hit spam. It works wonders. Ask GJO. Do all of this and you should be fine.

Very nice I guess I should say I mostly play dual. The reduced block arc feels like it has made it easier to manage my BP. Also I have found if you can do a 360 yawn the opposite direction of your att. You will hit them with the other end of the staff. Witch fills your acm points fast.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
Staff is a mixed bag, in my personal opinion.

You get the tryhard staff using GJO members who are competent with spamming it until they ultimately get the most BS backwhack known to dueling (or they actually manage to overwhelm you with the 4-hit spam and successfully win a duel properly) OR you realise it does no damage whatsoever against decent+ tier duelists and never touch it again.

As for Open, @Gargos proves the staff to be more than optimal for taking down just about anything. A wider blocking arc as you mentioned which is always helpful vs gunners, the super awesome mega backflip counter-mando epic destroyer slash and even a butterfly / windmill special attack which helps prolong your inevitable demise or even cover some ground whilst cutting down everyone in your way.

Tips with staff? Don't treat it as an offensive weapon. I don't know why, but it is so much weaker compared to Yellow and Duals. Use it to provide cover for your team, slowly pushing corridors, utilise the super awesome mega backflip counter-mando epic destroyer slash as well as the butterfly and windmill and finally if you do get into a bit of confrontation (or you need to be aggressive), do not fear the 4-hit spam. It works wonders. Ask GJO. Do all of this and you should be fine.
Staff is stronger than yellow and duals wtf u talking about

Staff is stronger than yellow and duals
No it isn't.

Staff has a single reverse stab which staggers, a crouch kata that does mild damage (but is so easy to avoid someone of your caliber is able to do it) and 2 butterfly variants which, even if connect properly, do no damage at all. Standard swings from staff also drain... Nothing. Unless of course you 4-hit spam & run. It also has a maximum count of 4 hits per chain, as does Yellow.

Duals on the other hand have any directional stab which staggers & knocks back, a crouch kata that does a lot of damage & for some reason even hits people behind them and has a relatively similar butterfly attack which also does no damage. Standard swings are insanely hard to predict ESPECIALLY if you're up against someone who can yaw, bait, drag or simply spam the fuck out of. May I also remind you that Duals have a maximum of 5 hits per chain.

As for yellow... We all know Yellow. If you're competent enough like most good+ tier duelist, you'll beat Duals and Staff (assuming it isn't the good+ tier duelists using Duals / Staff). If you're not a good duelist and you're going up against Duals or Staff... Yeah, you're going to lose. Only thing that Staff is stronger at than Duals and Yellow is defence which is what I specifically highlighted in my post above.

Last edited:
No it isn't.

Staff has a single reverse stab which staggers, a crouch kata that does mild damage (but is so easy to avoid someone of your caliber is able to do it) and 2 butterfly variants which, even if connect properly, do no damage at all. Standard swings from staff also drain... Nothing. Unless of course you 4-hit spam & run. It also has a maximum count of 4 hits per chain, as does Yellow.

Duals on the other hand have any directional stab which staggers & knocks back, a crouch kata that does a lot of damage & for some reason even hits people behind them and has a relatively similar butterfly attack which also does no damage. Standard swings are insanely hard to predict ESPECIALLY if you're up against someone who can yaw, bait, drag or simply spam the fuck out of. May I also remind you that Duals have a maximum of 5 hits per chain.

As for yellow... We all know Yellow. If you're competent enough like most good+ tier duelist, you'll beat Duals and Staff (assuming it isn't the good+ tier duelists using Duals / Staff). If you're not a good duelist and you're going up against Duals or Staff... Yeah, you're going to lose. Only thing that Staff is stronger at than Duals and Yellow is defence which is what I specifically highlighted in my post above.
staff is stronger than duals and yellow based on the fact that it's faster alone. don't see what DFA's/special attacks have to got to do with it since any low tier player can avoid them

staff is stronger than duals and yellow based on the fact that it's faster alone. don't see what DFA's/special attacks have to got to do with it since any low tier player can avoid them
Duals are faster than staff though, especially if you're doing opposite swings. When we're discussing "strength", I mean playability and usage, not which does more BP damage.

Nor am I strictly on about dueling either. Special's can be easily avoided in Duels but Open is an incredibly mixed scenario, it's surprising how many people fall into Staff & Dual specials.

Also there is little to no Guides. On The staff it seems to get skipped over. When I started I couldn't find any strategy of tips. Still can't for that matter. Does that make it more of a Gimmick..? Can it compete at top tier. Does it need to be revised? I mean what the hell is up with throwing the staff in the air and catching it behind your back. As part of the move list.
Are there any staff masters out there ? do they even exist...

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
whenever i fight against staff, they always seem to tank a lot more than other styles, i'd compare its defense to blue or cyan

Staff has low BP drains on attack, doesn't it? I mean the BP cost to take a swing. It's good, I've seen people use it well and overall I think staff is really good when doing single, delayed and chaotic swings only to unleash a big retarded 4 swing combo to throw someone off.

And it's excellent in teamplay. The arc, for example, and VERY quick A/D swings make it a nice choice for Open if you actually want to help your boys with guns.

Staff has low BP drains on attack, doesn't it? I mean the BP cost to take a swing. It's good, I've seen people use it well and overall I think staff is really good when doing single, delayed and chaotic swings only to unleash a big retarded 4 swing combo to throw someone off.

And it's excellent in teamplay. The arc, for example, and VERY quick A/D swings make it a nice choice for Open if you actually want to help your boys with guns.
Precisely what I'm saying

AaronAaron

Donator
Staff's defense, attack and bp were changed in 1.5 because it costs more when you create your build. It was designed to be a stronger style since it cost more mb points and i dont think its been changed back to how it was

correct me if im wrong

Staff's defense, attack and bp were changed in 1.5 because it costs more when you create your build. It was designed to be a stronger style since it cost more mb points and i dont think its been changed back to how it was
Correct;
1579536832762.png

But if you notice, it is weaker than Yellow & Duals in attack yet stronger in defence (like I've been saying this entire time). "Yellow 12/55, Staff 10/70, Duals 11/50"...

In fact, in 1.5.1 the AP was reduced to 9 and the BP reduced to 65.

if we're going off the actual stats of each style and not personal experience, staff swing speeds are faster than duals afaik.

really got no idea why you're trying to argue that staff worse than duals and yellow though when anyone's personal experience will tell you otherwise, the speed and animations of staff make it way harder to fight than other styles. especially with the high defence values as you've shown.

just because it has one/two more AP value(s) than duals and yellow doesnt make it better than duals and yellow lol

I personally like it. It's what I main but took me a while to find my style.

Pro: good defense, good pb, can att fast if yawning, also can build acm point fast.

Cons: large hit box aka def arc, lack of openers, range, can't half swing, lack of damage inless u combo. Atts can be Predictable.

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
I personally like it. It's what I main but took me a while to find my style.

Pro: good defense, good pb, can att fast if yawning, also can build acm point fast.

Cons: large hit box aka def arc, lack of openers, range, can't half swing, lack of damage inless u combo. Atts can be Predictable.
There's so much wrong with the cons...

Hitbox isn't tied to defense arc. It's just a matter of how easy it is to get sidewacked/shot by gunners on your flank or not. How doesn't it have openers? It can hit faster than most with its swings if you use the right ones for your position since the second blade can count for hitting even when it's not the one that would go through with the hit. Its range is lower, yes, but that's really only relevant when trying to chase people down. Every style can half swing. In fact, staff has some, if not, the best halfswings of all the styles (has always been one of its biggest strengths). The amount of halfswings it can put out that are also very good at interrupting basically negates the difference in AP while it still has extremely high defense (second only to blue).