RolePlay Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
just play SWG instead
and if i don't want to?
MB2 has perfect mechanics for RP (in my opinion)
if you want to comment something negative go talk somewhere else.
i just feel game will become much more stable if devs listened to community (excluding changing saber system)

and if i don't want to?
MB2 has perfect mechanics for RP (in my opinion)
if you want to comment something negative go talk somewhere else.
i just feel game will become much more stable if devs listened to community (excluding changing saber system)
tfw 3% of mb2 community actually care about RP

weird argument but ok

tfw 3% of mb2 community actually care about RP

weird argument but ok
It might not be 3% in the future if they were to give the bare minimum requirements an RP server might need which is basically just proximity based text chat. It might make the mod grow, then you might get more competitive players. Games like GMOD, SAMP etc have all survived based on RP gamemodes. They're fun, it's not cool to be too cool to RP

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Noel, you really need to look at what JKG is actually capable of. The gun play in many areas is better than MB2 because it didn't have a lot of the baggage MB2 has. Plus you can make new weapons yourself pretty easily since it is all exposed and there is way more slots for weapons than MB2 currently has. It also had support for 64 player servers, multiple chat types (including proximity) and more. A bunch of the stuff is exposed in lua, as well as being open source now through OpenJK, which allows you to create so much that you just cant do in MB2 to fit whatever scenarios you want to RP. And Like I said earlier, that includes NPCs, and cinematics. Not to mention the fact that it had preliminary multi-server support when I was first working on it, meaning you could create player ships that would transfer people between planets (aka another server on another map), with everything in your "inventory" being transferred.

All of these things MB2 will never be able to have, so long as it wants to support a non-modified JAMP, AND OpenJK at the same time. The original JKG required tons of reverse engineering to bypass tons of limiting factors, and add the lua wrapper into the engine. Go support all of that hard work that gives you FAR more control over scenarios you want to play out than MB2 ever will.

Why should we bother duplicating stuff like this, when other mods do it flat out better?

Noel, you really need to look at what JKG is actually capable of. The gun play in many areas is better than MB2 because it didn't have a lot of the baggage MB2 has. Plus you can make new weapons yourself pretty easily since it is all exposed and there is way more slots for weapons than MB2 currently has. It also had support for 64 player servers, multiple chat types (including proximity) and more. A bunch of the stuff is exposed in lua, as well as being open source now through OpenJK, which allows you to create so much that you just cant do in MB2 to fit whatever scenarios you want to RP. And Like I said earlier, that includes NPCs, and cinematics. Not to mention the fact that it had preliminary multi-server support when I was first working on it, meaning you could create player ships that would transfer people between planets (aka another server on another map), with everything in your "inventory" being transferred.

All of these things MB2 will never be able to have, so long as it wants to support a non-modified JAMP, AND OpenJK at the same time. The original JKG required tons of reverse engineering to bypass tons of limiting factors, and add the lua wrapper into the engine. Go support all of that hard work that gives you FAR more control over scenarios you want to play out than MB2 ever will.

Why should we bother duplicating stuff like this, when other mods do it flat out better?
Because no other mod has MB2's dueling mechanics.

That isn't a good enough excuse for us to add these features. Ask JKG to add actual dueling mechanics.
A proximity voice chat has already been coded for many other mods. It's really not much of an ask in my opinion. I won't ever push for it to happen again I just think its a shame not to tap into that potential.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Proximity chat is a fucking stupid thing dude. Youll get like max 3 zones of people chatting in most levels, because if you make it smaller, many people in the SAME ROOM in many maps won't be communicating with one another. Levels I was creating for JKG were MUCH larger, and had more defined areas where stuff like that would actually work.

You say its not much of an ask, but that is your ask, not the other people who want RP for MB2's ask. Each time we give in, the next person wants another feature, and another feature, wasting our dev time when theres other mods made for this stuff that you can just transfer literally every single cosmetic and map from mb2 to.

Reactions: Jul
Proximity chat is a fucking stupid thing dude. Youll get like max 3 zones of people chatting in most levels, because if you make it smaller, many people in the SAME ROOM in many maps won't be communicating with one another. Levels I was creating for JKG were MUCH larger, and had more defined areas where stuff like that would actually work.

You say its not much of an ask, but that is your ask, not the other people who want RP for MB2's ask. Each time we give in, the next person wants another feature, and another feature, wasting our dev time when theres other mods made for this stuff that you can just transfer literally every single cosmetic and map from mb2 to.
Pipe down bud

Mace has gained +8 respect points with party member: JamJarBinks. Friendship level increased to RANK 2.

It might not be 3% in the future if they were to give the bare minimum requirements an RP server might need which is basically just proximity based text chat. It might make the mod grow, then you might get more competitive players. Games like GMOD, SAMP etc have all survived based on RP gamemodes. They're fun, it's not cool to be too cool to RP
fakin roleplaya

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team

Yeah. Proximity chat is stupid and unnecessary, sure sure. But making the max timer 60 minutes for FA so roleplayers can thrive (if they put in their own work), is not. 5 min of work changing a line of code vs all of these threads popping up year in year out, 10+ years of random arguments for and against RP, countless hours spent writing forum posts. What is more reasonable? A concession by your side to do the bare minimum harmless change, or spending 10 years and a lot of effort resisting on the forums and hammering down ppl who just wanna rp with the mb2 dueling system. I know which side looks stupid, and it isn't the roleplayers.

shea conn

Account Suspended
Yeah. Proximity chat is stupid and unnecessary, sure sure. But making the max timer 60 minutes for FA so roleplayers can thrive (if they put in their own work), is not. 5 min of work changing a line of code vs all of these threads popping up year in year out, 10+ years of random arguments for and against RP, countless hours spent writing forum posts. What is more reasonable? A concession by your side to do the bare minimum harmless change, or spending 10 years and a lot of effort resisting on the forums and hammering down ppl who just wanna rp with the mb2 dueling system. I know which side looks stupid, and it isn't the roleplayers.
nerd

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader

Funny i also know which side looks stupid, and it isnt us. Anyone who stops to actually think about the work involved and what it would mean to the wider community could see this would be a bad change that would have knock on implications to everyone.

Ok so we allow the round timer to go to 60 minutes, player joins server, 55 minutes until a new round, they cant join, unless we make another change to allow people to join rounds already in progress. How does that play with regular servers playing the regular game? Player joins and wonders why they cant join this game but they could join the other one.

Someone joins an RP server and doesnt realise with a few minutes of a round left and joins the regular game, play the game like a regular player would and then gets kicked for playing the game - what are they going to think? - I will tell you "This community sucks. I got banned for no reason"

Then theres the technical aspects. We are already pushing against the technical limits that are achievable. We actually had to find a way to cut out a whole bunch of cvars out of the game this week because we exceeded the limit. We had to make major architectural changes to the way lightmaps work to free up more space in the gamestate. Trying to splice together two entirely different games on an engine so old that it could legally buy a drink isnt a good idea.

If you want to RP i wish you nothing but the best, but MBII cannot help you, we do not have the space in either the gameplay design or the headroom in the technical limitations of the engine to help. You need to find the right tools for the job.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Funny i also know which side looks stupid, and it isnt us. Anyone who stops to actually think about the work involved and what it would mean to the wider community could see this would be a bad change that would have knock on implications to everyone.

Ok so we allow the round timer to go to 60 minutes, player joins server, 55 minutes until a new round, they cant join, unless we make another change to allow people to join rounds already in progress. How does that play with regular servers playing the regular game? Player joins and wonders why they cant join this game but they could join the other one.

Someone joins an RP server and doesnt realise with a few minutes of a round left and joins the regular game, play the game like a regular player would and then gets kicked for playing the game - what are they going to think? - I will tell you "This community sucks. I got banned for no reason"

Then theres the technical aspects. We are already pushing against the technical limits that are achievable. We actually had to find a way to cut out a whole bunch of cvars out of the game this week because we exceeded the limit. We had to make major architectural changes to the way lightmaps work to free up more space in the gamestate. Trying to splice together two entirely different games on an engine so old that it could legally buy a drink isnt a good idea.

If you want to RP i wish you nothing but the best, but MBII cannot help you, we do not have the space in either the gameplay design or the headroom in the technical limitations of the engine to help. You need to find the right tools for the job.

It's sad that I have to explain this to you. Your hypothetical scenario is completely irrelevant. First of all, I said in FA only. Second, the FA classteams that roleplayers use will just set the lives that their FA classes have to more than 1 and during roleplay sessions there will be admins.This won't in any way affect open mode or even normal FA because the standard time would still be 5 min and only roleplayers would set their server up with a custom time command and custom FA. It wont require any cvar change cuz it should already be there (dueling mode is 15 min, hello?) also they would quite possibly password protect the server in addition. The change has literally no impact on any normal gameplay elements, but it allows roleplayers to set up their own server as they want. No downsides, only upsides.

As I said, you don't need to bother with this RP stuff any more. Just set the max timer on FA to 60 minutes and move on, never thinking about official RP support again because you don't need to do that. All you need is to allow more time, then if someone wants to set up a roleplay server they can do so on their own time, then call it a day, the issue is done and dusted. The only thing that killed RP in MB2 was the deliberate locking of the time limit, if you unlock it, and ppl wanna rp, they will do the rest.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
So you mean to tell me that even in this thread where people are requesting more RP related features than you think is needed, that timer is the only one actually necessary and we won't have demands in the future for more? "The issue is done and dusted" Spare me.

Not to mention that you damn well know that the timelimit unlocking was a bug. Just look at the original release of movie battles 1, you will see the g_timelimit cvar which limited the time between 2-4 minutes. We are currently 3-5, with duel mode being the exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.