•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue Replacing Models Client Side

Hi there all.

First day playing this mod.

Loving the game.

I have a question though: in short, I want to be able to use Gorc's lightsaber from this mod here. I know if it's client side only I would be able to see it, but I don't much care as long as I get to use it.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the response!

Although I was disappointed with the result (I only like Gorc's saber because it's a huge lightsaber, and apparently the saber length doesn't apply unless the model has been uploaded server side) I appreciate you taking the time to link me the information.

Is there any way you guys could add that pack to the MBII files? I would <3 you forever.

It's an old game engine so there are limits to what they can do. You can't strap rockets onto a horse and expect them to go vroom. Well, you could I suppose. The horses wouldnt survive but that first trip would be fast:)

Some skins models do change over time but replacement packs are the way to go:)

Helix

Movie Battles II Team Retired
By saying huge, you meant blade length or hilt size? I can replace a hilt for you with this one, just tell me which one is to be replaced.
If you are disappointed with blade length, then I must tell you that blade lengths of all sabers in MBII are hardcoded, you can't change it.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Although I was disappointed with the result (I only like Gorc's saber because it's a huge lightsaber, and apparently the saber length doesn't apply unless the model has been uploaded server side) I appreciate you taking the time to link me the information.

Saber length is hard coded in Open Mode (As Helix stated). This is to standardize all hilts so that one hilt cannot be better than the other and people can just choose what looks good. Blade Length will only be applied in Full Authentic.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
The hilt itself can be replaced, but as Mace explained the length of the blade is hard coded. Allowing players to use longer blades would give those players an unfair advantage over others, and that is something that we can't allow.

The hilt itself can be replaced, but as Mace explained the length of the blade is hard coded. Allowing players to use longer blades would give those players an unfair advantage over others, and that is something that we can't allow.

There are already advantages to using certain sabers and styles. The Greatsaber itself only allows for one stance (red), so I think trading a longer blade to be locked into only one stance is definitely a fair trade off.

Just my 2 cents.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
There are already advantages to using certain sabers and styles.
Yes, but they are advantages that we (the development team), implemented and balanced out. They are features for a reason.

And if we believed that having something like the "Greatsaber" in the game would benefit overall balance we would have implemented it ourselves, but no game developer will ever allow a player to define or replace a feature that doesn't already exist within the game.

If you want to replace a saber hilt, feel free. Saber hilts do not affect the way the saber works. However, increasing the length of the blade, regardless of whether or not it is for a single style, is not, and will not, be possible unless we implement it ourselves.

What about just the appearance? It'd be the same length it'd just look bigger.

Like all those fake enlargement ads, it's all about the illusion for some poor, desperate souls:)

Anyhoot, does pb still work in this version? I miss the longsaber. Now you would think a saber that extends 300 feet would be unbalanced but surprisingly, no. Its just that much easier to drain them:)

Supa

The Serial Stacker
I don't even think it's possible to change the visual length, nor would it actually make any sense to do.

Yes, but they are advantages that we (the development team), implemented and balanced out. They are features for a reason.

And if we believed that having something like the "Greatsaber" in the game would benefit overall balance we would have implemented it ourselves, but no game developer will ever allow a player to define or replace a feature that doesn't already exist within the game.

If you want to replace a saber hilt, feel free. Saber hilts do not affect the way the saber works. However, increasing the length of the blade, regardless of whether or not it is for a single style, is not, and will not, be possible unless we implement it ourselves.

I mean, I get it. I'm not attacking you or anything else in this mod. I was simply stating my opinion that I don't think a longer blade would be unfair, if there was an adequate tradeoff for using. Just like using 2 lightsabers or a saberstaff.

So yeah, if you guys decided on your end that something like a Greatsaber would be doable and add fun to the game, I'd be ecstatic. But I'm not here trying to tell you guys to change your game for one person. Was just expressing that I was a little bummed the saber length was hardcoded.

Hope we can still be friends.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
It wouldn't be unfair if everyone had access to it, but not every player knows about or uses replacements. It's something that has to be accessible through the game itself if it's going to have an impact on the game in any way.

I remember when JA+ servers in the day would upload things like that exclusively for use by members of their clan or community. It was pretty dumb.

Technically there is a great saber. It's called red style:)

Swing length and area of effect are determined by swing type and saber style as well as saber positioning.
Red functions as the equivalent of what a great sword would attack like.

They won't change the lengths of hilts for obvious reasons. Everyone who knew, this has happened before(allegedly) would use that hilt in secret for a slight advantage. Evil bastards.

You need consistency! You need to worry less about your lack of size and instead make up for it with your stamina!

At least, those are the lies we tell ourselves. :(

It wouldn't be unfair if everyone had access to it, but not every player knows about or uses replacements. It's something that has to be accessible through the game itself if it's going to have an impact on the game in any way.

I remember when JA+ servers in the day would upload things like that exclusively for use by members of their clan or community. It was pretty dumb.
Just so you know, that was never the intent.

For replacing, I just wanted to have it as a skin instead of another saber option. Is that doable? Like it would still have the same reach as a normal saber, just look different only to me (similar to how weapon skins in CS 1.6 functioned).

Supa

The Serial Stacker
I don't think you can increase the length of a blade visually anymore than you can functionally.

You could try replacing the blade effect with that of the Greatsaber, but if it isn't changed through a texture than you'd have to figure out how to make a new texture and increase the length of it.
You should be able to. I had swords and other wierd shit in previous builds.
But were they ever longer than the other blades in the game?

No. ^ He's just settled on changing the look.

Hmmm, you know. Is there any reason why we can't have the magnaguard staff vibroblade whatever it's called available in open for staff users?