Reduce the round time limit

If you ask me, the most necessary change in this mod would be to reduce how much rounds last. Reducing the round time limit would:
1. Encourage faster gameplay (less camping and timewasting, the attackers would be more active)
2. Reduce the time you have to wait when you die
Five minutes is more than enough to complete the objective on any map, so there is always some extra time that does no good, quite contrary - it slows down gameplay. If some map is the exception to this rule, its objective can be tweaked to fit the new time frame.
On Wikipedia (Movie Battles - Wikipedia) I saw that this mod was inspired by Counter-Strike. The rounds in Counter-Strike last two minutes (2m 45s if the bomb is planted at the last moment), and that's why that game is so successful - its pace is very fast. In comparison, the rounds in Movie Battles 2 last whopping 5 minutes. I understand that the gameplay of this mod requires bigger round times (slower combat, longer time to die, bigger maps (most are too big in my opinion), different objectives), but 5 minutes is still too much. If you die in the first minute of the game, sometimes you have to wait more than 4 minutes, and time is precious. On the other hand, if you want to survive longer, the best tactic for that is camping, and that is something you should not be encouraging. Making dying less punishing would also encourage players to be more active and not so afraid of dying.
Developers should decide by how much exactly the time limit should be reduced, but I am certain that this change would do only good.

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
Time limit has never been over 5 minutes by default. The stuff involving RC1 wasn't really a bug but more of something that just wasn't checked (i.e. the normal limit was 5 minutes and you could bypass that with settings inside the map files). After that, a hard limit got put in (basically checks to see if the map file is <5 mins -> changes it to 5 mins) but it's still possible to mess with it (in code that is). I believe if you have the time limit longer than 5 minutes, it just counts down to 0:00 on the clock and the round keeps going (at least that's what seems to be the case from the brief time I've spent playing with it; think RP server stuff just flat out removed that part of the UI so it wasn't bothersome).

Early deaths are also pretty good for getting work done while normally procrastinating.

Last edited:

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
The stuff involving RC1 wasn't really a bug but more of something that just wasn't checked

Wilde/Azu/Ace all said it was a bug when it happened and that it was checked before. Now they could have been lying to me... that is an entirely different story.

The RP servers just removed the timelimit line in the .siege file which removes the timer entirely.