•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Hosting Server Players' IP issue on dedicated server

Hey, I've encountered an issue hosting mb2 server. So I've done the port forwarding, launched the server (It successfully appeared on in-game mb2 server list (second screenshot, appeared there Movie Battles II Server List too), but for some reason all connected players have IPs like 192.168.1.1 (like on first screenshot), thus it's impossible to join for more than 3 players (if 4th player tries to join, error pops up). Is there any particular reason for that?
shot2023-08-05_15-50-07.jpg
shot2023-08-05_15-50-52.jpg
BtuEOIuOfPY.png

Last edited:
You need to change the value of sv_maxConnections to be above 3
I mean, that's *obviously* not how it should work, right? Not to mention that players having internal '192.168.1.1' IPs instead of normal ones looks rather odd. Setting it above 3 does break the server, too

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
If they are joining through your local network or something masquerading as your local network it makes sense for them to show their 'most local' ip address.

How does it break when set to above 3?

If they are joining through your local network or something masquerading as your local network it makes sense for them to show their 'most local' ip address.

How does it break when set to above 3?
Yeah perhaps I didn't clarify the "breaking" part, it just that in the config file it seems like this parameter shouldn't be changed to prevent crashing.
Players are joining through mb2 "Internet" section of ingame serverlist though, that's why this whole "192.168.1.1" stuff doesn't make sense to me. They probably should have different IPs

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Doesnt matter which section they join though if they are on or appear to be on the local network. The real question is why they are comming through on a local IP address. What is the device emulated or physical at 192.168.1.1. Is it a router doing some weird NAT or is it some kind of software tunnel that crop up from time to time.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
its impossible to know without knowing the full extent of your server setup. Are you trying to run it through hamatchi or some virtual LAN?

its impossible to know without knowing the full extent of your server setup. Are you trying to run it through hamatchi or some virtual LAN?
No, I don't try to run it through some LAN and never intended to. My server config is just default with few slight modifications and server.bat goes as following: openjkded.x86.exe +set fs_game "MBII" +set net_port 29070 +exec server.cfg +set dedicated 2.

Perhaps it's weird shenanigans of my router there, which is why I hoped that someone had exactly the same problem to solve

It indeed allows more players to join with that sv_maxconnections 32 setting, but that doesn't really solve issues with functionality of smod for example

Also could you have a look, open your browser type 192.168.1.1 to connect to your router, login, and once there, boot up your server as usual, ask your friends to join. And see if they list up on your local area network on the graphic user interface of your box.
Next thing you can do, is activating the dynamic host configuration protocol (Should find it under the simple acronyme DHCP) this should grant new IPs instead of the same one.

This is just a patch-up method in waiting for a more comprehensive idea of what's going on at your end of the network. (Describe everything so we can help)

issues with functionality of smod
can you elaborate ?

Last edited:
Also could you have a look, open your browser type 192.168.1.1 to connect to your router, login, and once there, boot up your server as usual, ask your friends to join. And see if they list up on your local area network on the graphic user interface of your box.
Next thing you can do, is activating the dynamic host configuration protocol (Should find it under the simple acronyme DHCP) this should grant new IPs instead of the same one.

This is just a patch-up method in waiting for a more comprehensive idea of what's going on at your end of the network. (Describe everything so we can help)
Yeah couldn't see anyone listed there and I'm pretty sure that dhcp is activated. Perhaps my router indeed does some weird LAN shenanigans, but i dunno how did I manage to create a public server in that case