•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Launcher Mono won't open

Hi there,

For months, I've been trying to open Movie Battles 2 through Mono (I use Mac). I found a middle ground where I load MBII through Jedi Academy with messed up models, but the 1.4.1 update leaves me at a loss. All the servers I use disappeared and I haven't played for the whole summer. I know this is a bit late to start complaining now, but I could really use some help. My troubles with Mono always finish with no such file or directory. I've tried everything for a month. But I'm suffering from MBII withdrawal and I really want to get back in there. Thank you for anything you can give me. Here are some pictures, if it helps.
Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 5.39.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 5.40.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 5.40.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 9.29.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 9.35.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 5.40.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 5.40.29 PM.png

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Your screenshots look a little weird for me (though I'm not a mac user, I will try to help you anyway):

At first, could you make a screnshots where full path to "Application Support\Jedi Academy" is visible?
Where is "Application Support"? It is supposed to be in "Users\usm\Library" (usm is your name, right?).

What did you type in console to start the Launcher?
You should type exactly this:
Code:
cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Jedi\ Academy; mono ./MBIILauncher.exe
What happens when you type that line in terminal?

Where did you get JA? Steam? Or from CD?
Could you make screenshot of your "Applications" folder and "Users\usm\Applications"?

Do you have multiple "base" directories?
Can you provide full paths for each "base"?

Also, you can update your MBII installation manually:
Download

To answer most of your questions,
Indeed, my name is USM on my Mac.
Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 11.36.44 AM.png

I tried that code you put, but it said that I had "No such file or directory". Screenshots can be found belowknow what you mean when you say multiple "base directories", sorry.
Here are all the screenshots I took from the Application Support:
Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 1.49.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 1.49.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-01 at 1.49.39 PM.png

I got my Jedi Academy from the Mac App store.

Sorry if that's not enough information. Also, how would I install it manually? I've tried redownloading it, but that didn't do anything. It's supposed to be Launcher-side apparently.

Thanks for everything.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I tried that code you put, but it said that I had "No such file or directory".
That means you've really placed Movie Battles and Launcher in wrong folder.
Screenshots can be found below
Still weird, those look like they were made somewhere in the deep of a bundle/sandbox, and I need screenshots started from root of your hard drive.

I want screenshots of these folders, at least (you'll probably need to turn on showing hidden folders):
  1. Applications
  2. Users/usm/Applications
  3. Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy
  4. Users/usm/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy
All paths are absolute paths (from the root of your hard drive).
On your screenshot I see that "Library" is inside of some "Data" folder -- this is definitely not the Library I'm looking for.

If you don't know how to open those folders, just type in terminal:
Code:
open <escaped path to folder>
Example:
Code:
open /Library/Application\ Support/Jedi\ Academy
If there will be "no such file..." error again, make a screenshot of parent directory, i. e.:
Code:
open /Library/Application\ Support
Please mention I need screenshots of ALL 4 folders from my list (or their parent folders).

"MBII" folder and "MBIILauncher.exe" are supposed to be inside "Users/usm/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy" and neither inside "Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy" nor inside any other directory called "Library".
know what you mean when you say multiple "base directories", sorry.
But there are two directories called "base" on your shots; one contains assets files, and other contains log, configs, maps and saves.
Also, how would I install it manually? I've tried redownloading it, but that didn't do anything. It's supposed to be Launcher-side apparently.
MBII Launcher isn't required to play on mac (though it's still very useful for detecting and repairing broken installations).

You can download and unpack this:
MovieBattlesII_FULL_V1.4.zip
AFTER THAT download ONE of these and unpack OVERWRITING existing files:
MovieBattlesII_UPGRADE_V1.4_V1.4.1.zip
https://update.moviebattles.org/files/MovieBattlesII_UPGRADE_V1.4_V1.4.1.zip
Start Movie Battles using JKJALaunch in the way it's descrided here:
Installation & Troubleshooting Guide

Last edited:
I can't believe it...

IT WAS LITERALLY THAT EASY. I JUST HAD TO REPLACE SOME FILES. I have no idea how I missed it. Now I know why momma called me a few sticks short of the idiot stack. Thanks for everything. I may never get those models fixed, but I don't really care about that.

Thanks for all your help

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I can't believe it...

IT WAS LITERALLY THAT EASY. I JUST HAD TO REPLACE SOME FILES. I have no idea how I missed it. Now I know why momma called me a few sticks short of the idiot stack. Thanks for everything. I may never get those models fixed, but I don't really care about that.

Thanks for all your help
I'm not sure what you did, but if you still don't have MBII Launcher working, you should consider moving your MBII folder and "MBIILauncher.exe" to proper location, because I believe you currently have a mess in your directory structure.

To get models fixed, you probably need to use JKJALaunch to start Movie Battles and not use Jedi Academy menu.

Also examine this, because I'm not sure do you know enough about how your OS file structure works:
File System Basics
About Bundles

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Thanks. I try JKA Launch, and I use the command, but nothing happens. Maybe you can see what I'm doing wrong.View attachment 857

Thanks.
I hope you understand that after setting up command line option and clicking OK, you have to run JKJALaunch once again, without holding shift?

If that won't help, make sure you do have SWJKJA.app inside "/Applications" directory.
If you don't, search that file and set a correct path in JKJALaunch.