Mind trick needs a specific buff

There's a reason why this force power is so rare. It's because it is terrible, when it could be so much more with one simple fix. Mindtrick makes you invisible to anyone susceptible to it, and could be a great way to play a sneaky jedi, but unfortunately it has a mechanic that does the exact opposite of what it's meant to do by blaring a Kenworth w900 horn for everyone to hear and instantly know your exact position, and since your sabers sheathe when using this ability it also makes you completely defenseless. So unless your opponent is deaf or terrible at aiming, it's completely useless. The sound needs to be removed for this ability to ever see any use.

It is shity, but yours would make it too good.

I am personally a big fan of the blinding force spell from Dark Force 2 (and MB2 in the Legend gamemode) and i think it would really be the best choice if we could somehow make it work like grip into which you have to lock someone for couple seconds before casting it to take effect. Levels would affect either, or both, the force point used to cast it and the longevity and it could only be casted agaisnt 1 person.

Potentially with max level you could blind someone, and just before the effect diminish you could have time to lock another person, so you're fighting an half blind adversary and a blind one. Yet it may be too good (if you consider the amount of Jedi in open) so just working agaisnt 1 person might be the right answer, with lower cost depending on levels.

Last edited:

Bob-Billy

KotOR Mapper & Cultist
Movie Battles II Team
I'm stealing this from wow but here's the idea for an alternative mt : "Blinds the target, causing it to wander disoriented for 2sec . Damage will interrupt the effect."

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I am personally a big fan of the blinding force spell from Dark Force 2 (and MB2 in the Legend gamemode) and i think it would really be the best choice if we could somehow make it work like grip into which you have to lock someone for couple seconds before casting it to take effect. Levels would affect either, or both, the force point used to cast it and the longevity and it could only be casted agaisnt 1 person.
had tried a harshly rebalanced version of the current FA force blind in beta:

New: Force Blind
  • added this new lightside force power for jedi class configuration in open mode, reusing its implementation from FA while reworking it in the following way:
  • Force Blind costs 6/6/6, drains 40 FP across all levels, level 1 blinds for 0.4s, level 2 blinds for 0.8s, level 3 blinds for 1.2s (previously in FA: 40FP 4s, 30FP 4s, 20FP 4s).
  • Force Blind now causes a frenzied camera distortion effect on top of its colored screen effect, and the colored screen effect is grey instead of white and slightly more transparent. (using Force Seeing while blinded reduces both effects - more so the higher Seeing level).
  • using Force Blind has a vulnerability time window of 400ms across all levels (previously in FA: 1200ms for level 1, 800ms for level 2, 400ms for level 3).
  • Force Blind has a maximum range of 512 (previously in FA: infinite).
  • Force Blind can now interrupt grip in the same way as Force Mindtrick.
  • allowed SBDs to reduce Force Blind's camera distortion effect with advanced logic purchased, with similar transparency to force seeing level 1 (more transparency for advanced logic level 2, similar to force seeing level 3).

had also first tried full black screen instead of full white screen for easier effect on the eyes, then distortion effect; feedback was mostly the same whichever the version: very annoying ability to play against even when the duration is so short as to make it balanced

had tried a harshly rebalanced version of the current FA force blind in beta:

New: Force Blind
  • added this new lightside force power for jedi class configuration in open mode, reusing its implementation from FA while reworking it in the following way:
  • Force Blind costs 6/6/6, drains 40 FP across all levels, level 1 blinds for 0.4s, level 2 blinds for 0.8s, level 3 blinds for 1.2s (previously in FA: 40FP 4s, 30FP 4s, 20FP 4s).
  • Force Blind now causes a frenzied camera distortion effect on top of its colored screen effect, and the colored screen effect is grey instead of white and slightly more transparent. (using Force Seeing while blinded reduces both effects - more so the higher Seeing level).
  • using Force Blind has a vulnerability time window of 400ms across all levels (previously in FA: 1200ms for level 1, 800ms for level 2, 400ms for level 3).
  • Force Blind has a maximum range of 512 (previously in FA: infinite).
  • Force Blind can now interrupt grip in the same way as Force Mindtrick.
  • allowed SBDs to reduce Force Blind's camera distortion effect with advanced logic purchased, with similar transparency to force seeing level 1 (more transparency for advanced logic level 2, similar to force seeing level 3).

had also first tried full black screen instead of full white screen for easier effect on the eyes, then distortion effect; feedback was mostly the same whichever the version: very annoying ability to play against even when the duration is so short as to make it balanced
I can see how frustrating it would be with the usual jedi spam ahah but seem pretty balanced to me by level 2/3 though i honestly doubt i'd ever pick the first level (ever) way too short for the FP point cost you barely have time to make 3 steps toward the opponent but overall i think that would make a good addition.

Concerning the complains I don't really believe it's possible to make any force power not annoying. Every force powers are annoying to fight against with the exception of like speed lunge, because its actually hard to pull properly without killing yourself, or to some degree with it.

- Push 3? Annoying. Ain't even need to aim that thing.
- Lightning and lightning push are definitely annoying as hell too.
- Grip is annoying to everyone, even its own team, though maybe gunners to a lesser degree because if the sith manage to get close without you draining his FP with repetitive shooting he kinda deserve it (IMO)
- Mindtrick is disgusting in certain situation with scattered targets, even more so if you cheese it with force speed and quick voice to cover over the sound of the mind trick.
- Deflect is annoying.
- Vision, aka wallhacks.

Hell. Everything is really annoying when you think about it, so I don't think it's a fair argument to prevent the addition of blind, or other cool gadgets because either way people will complain... It's just natural.

When i get killed by projectile rifles? I get triggered.
Wookies tanking 100 shots just to ram me over like a train? Triggers alot of emotions inside of me.
Poison dart? fucking annoying.
Dodge? please delete this shit.
That pro guy with insta kill disruptor... yep.
C3.
Blobs.
Cortosis SBD
DEKAs
Flamethroooowers
Grenade spam
.... I can keep on man

Half the gameplay across all characters is fucking annoying, but it's also part of what makes it fun for everyone really, so I don't think you should prevent from adding something cool just because it might be annoying. It will be annoying and it should be annoying. It's the game. Just don't make it too abusable :)

Last edited:
There's a reason why this force power is so rare. It's because it is terrible, when it could be so much more with one simple fix. Mindtrick makes you invisible to anyone susceptible to it, and could be a great way to play a sneaky jedi, but unfortunately it has a mechanic that does the exact opposite of what it's meant to do by blaring a Kenworth w900 horn for everyone to hear and instantly know your exact position, and since your sabers sheathe when using this ability it also makes you completely defenseless. So unless your opponent is deaf or terrible at aiming, it's completely useless. The sound needs to be removed for this ability to ever see any use.
this dude's suggestion is -as always- absolute dogshit. but if the second sound that triggers when mindtrick is done was removed, everyone that uses MT would actually be much happier with the ability. imo activation sound = cool. but the ending sound is what puts the cherry on top of a force power thats a pile of shit already, and much like the sense ability it destroys stealth opportunities.

this dude's suggestion is -as always- absolute dogshit. but if the second sound that triggers when mindtrick is done was removed, everyone that uses MT would actually be much happier with the ability. imo activation sound = cool. but the ending sound is what puts the cherry on top of a force power thats a pile of shit already, and much like the sense ability it destroys stealth opportunities.
As much as I'd like your suggestion to happen, there's a part of me that still think in its current iteration it would be too good and everyone would use it, just like Push 3. It would be annoying as all hell to gunners... but maybe with a little modification on the radius, or the numbers of units affected withint a radius, or the points needed to use MT3, then it may be very alright.

I live by the conviction that if you want to take something out, you gotta give a little something too, and vice-versa.

That being said, this individual certainly ain't posting in here with the goal to be spat on by the whole community. I'm saying because i've seen alot of people stumping on this person recently by browsing around and frankly, i dont think that works into putting a smile on his/her face, for all I know it doesnt put a smile on mine. It's not like its arming anyone, so yall could show abit of sympathy by being less hostile, that would be great.

Last edited:
As much as I'd like your suggestion to happen, there's a part of me that still think in its current iteration it would be too good and everyone would use it, just like Push 3. It would be annoying as all hell to gunners... but maybe with a little modification on the radius, or the numbers of units affected withint a radius, or the points needed to use MT3, then it may be very alright.

I live by the conviction that if you want to take something out, you gotta give a little something too, and vice-versa.

That being said, this individual certainly ain't posting in here with the goal to be spat on by the whole community. I'm saying because i've seen alot of people stumping on this person recently by browsing around and frankly, i dont think that works into putting a smile on his/her face, for all I know it doesnt put a smile on mine. It's not like its arming anyone, so yall could show abit of sympathy by being less hostile, that would be great.
dont worry its mostly just aod, they are toxic clan that are sponsored by devs i just ignore them like a real man gamer

Duckshark

Internal Beta Team
I can see how frustrating it would be with the usual jedi spam ahah but seem pretty balanced to me by level 2/3 though i honestly doubt i'd ever pick the first level (ever) way too short for the FP point cost you barely have time to make 3 steps toward the opponent but overall i think that would make a good addition.

Concerning the complains I don't really believe it's possible to make any force power not annoying. Every force powers are annoying to fight against with the exception of like speed lunge, because its actually hard to pull properly without killing yourself, or to some degree with it.

- Push 3? Annoying. Ain't even need to aim that thing.
- Lightning and lightning push are definitely annoying as hell too.
- Grip is annoying to everyone, even its own team, though maybe gunners to a lesser degree because if the sith manage to get close without you draining his FP with repetitive shooting he kinda deserve it (IMO)
- Mindtrick is disgusting in certain situation with scattered targets, even more so if you cheese it with force speed and quick voice to cover over the sound of the mind trick.
- Deflect is annoying.
- Vision, aka wallhacks.

Hell. Everything is really annoying when you think about it, so I don't think it's a fair argument to prevent the addition of blind, or other cool gadgets because either way people will complain... It's just natural.

When i get killed by projectile rifles? I get triggered.
Wookies tanking 100 shots just to ram me over like a train? Triggers alot of emotions inside of me.
Poison dart? fucking annoying.
Dodge? please delete this shit.
That pro guy with insta kill disruptor... yep.
C3.
Blobs.
Cortosis SBD
DEKAs
Flamethroooowers
Grenade spam
.... I can keep on man

Half the gameplay across all characters is fucking annoying, but it's also part of what makes it fun for everyone really, so I don't think you should prevent from adding something cool just because it might be annoying. It will be annoying and it should be annoying. It's the game. Just don't make it too abusable :)
The issue is with counterplay. Is something like deflect annoying? Yes, especially at lower HP. But is there counterplay? They're still vulnerable to any sort of knockdown, poison, or by spraying up and down their bodies they can't deflect as well. There's a skilled counterplay to that advantage, since it has inherent downsides or weaknesses when being used. Something like grip is also annoying, but is pretty useless in team fights and still has counterplay (70 fp limit, having to aim it well over time to lock on so it can be dodged), so it's rarely thought to be brokenly overpowered.

Something like secnade has very little counterplay, which makes it more annoying and more in need of fixing. That's the difference. If the difference between a skilled and new player on the controls is minimal and the ability to beat some game mechanic is limited, then it starts becoming broken (see lightning 3 just disabling gunners in tight spaces, only counterplay is to run away, no differentiation for aiming skill or ability to use utility since nades are disabled as well).

force push isnt overpowered all the other force powers are just trash except sense but i dont consider it a force power its just wall hack button

The issue is with counterplay. Is something like deflect annoying? Yes, especially at lower HP. But is there counterplay? They're still vulnerable to any sort of knockdown, poison, or by spraying up and down their bodies they can't deflect as well. There's a skilled counterplay to that advantage, since it has inherent downsides or weaknesses when being used. Something like grip is also annoying, but is pretty useless in team fights and still has counterplay (70 fp limit, having to aim it well over time to lock on so it can be dodged), so it's rarely thought to be brokenly overpowered.

Something like secnade has very little counterplay, which makes it more annoying and more in need of fixing. That's the difference. If the difference between a skilled and new player on the controls is minimal and the ability to beat some game mechanic is limited, then it starts becoming broken (see lightning 3 just disabling gunners in tight spaces, only counterplay is to run away, no differentiation for aiming skill or ability to use utility since nades are disabled as well).
Though 40FP for a 0.8 to 1.2 second working force power is a pretty big counter play by itself and if you open a stopwatch and look by yourself you'll see that it goes pretty quick. The blinded person will naturally walk/run backward too, further limitating the time you have to reach hem in that very short amount of time.

The real problem might be comboing the blinding and pushing/pulling, because people will naturally be scared and run backward and that one will be devastating toward scattered imperials, for sure! But I wouldn't mind adjusting blinding cost so you'll become very tight in the attribution of points, or potentialy, but not preferably, just preventing the use of pull and push a certain time after its use (just like it currently does after you use force lightning).

Also, if people play in teams, blinding might just as well be useless, it's really something you use against single enemies. I could see, with proper balancing, still be a niche force power and used more so against Sith in open than gunners.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm late but mind trick is only as strong as the user and you sir are a weak

Have you ever hidden and then used mind trick? The sound helps because it can be used to stress out your opponents. I'll hide and use it 3 times without leaving my spot. Watch as the gunners spaz out like they are in the predator movie and potentially TK.

Summary get gud

Last edited: