•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Launcher MBII Launcher has stopped working

Hello. Today i have tried to install moviebattles 2 (i downloaded and launcher and torrent) but i when i try to start launcher, it crashes.(MBII Launcher has stopped working) Windows 7 x64
What i tried to solve the problem:
-put MBIILauncher.exe in the GameData folder.
- deleted Net framework 4.7 and downloaded 4.0 version.
- ticked the .NET 3.5.1 box in Contol Panel - > Programs - > Turn Windows features on and off.
-tried to lauch MBIILauncher.exe in diffirent folders.
Play_MBII.bat starts, but i have a weird grey square mouse icon and white screen problems ( but in "Play_MBII_CustomOJK.bat" everithing is fine except that the server's list is empty).
Help me please.:(

Last edited:
and last 2 big logs (.NET framework 4.7 installation) i wish, it will help you

Attachments

• Logs 3.1 (net 4.7).zip
    551.5 KB · Views: 220
  • Logs 3.2 (net 4.7).zip
    561.5 KB · Views: 188

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
the same crash
That's frustrating tbh. I'm almost running out of ideas :(
.NET framework 4.7 installation
4.7 isn't related anyway. Launcher uses 3.5 and 4.0, maybe 2.0 as well.

Try this:
  1. Download and run: Process Monitor - Windows Sysinternals
  2. Filter => Process Name => Contains => mbiilauncher => Include => Add => OK.
    If you get troubles setting up filter, skip this step.
  3. Do not close Process Monitor.
  4. Run MBII Launcher and wait till it crashes.
  5. Switch to Process Monitor => File => Save... => Format: CSV => OK.
  6. Upload saved log here.

bcce097b0c46.png

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Or even better, if the process stills exists in task manager when the windows error reporting dialog pops up go into the details tab, find the process, right click and generate a dump and upload that here.

Sorry,i cant give you the dump, because it is 39.2 MB in the zip archive and 118 mb without it. Only process monitor log

Attachments

• logfile.zip
    46.2 KB · Views: 210

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I do believe that Launcher is unable to start because a file "C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_64\mscorlib\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\sorttbls.nlp" is missing from your computer.
The log you posted shows that Launcher started to loading debug stuff right after it failed to open that "sorttbls.nlp" file.
Note: you probably won't be able to navigate that folder in normal way.
To open that folder, copy-paste its address directly to Explorer's address bar.

My own log look similar to yours, more or less, before accessing file "C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_32\mscorlib\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\sorttbls.nlp", which I do have (I have 32-bit Windows XP, not 64-bit).
After opening sorttbls, my log is becoming pretty different.

I also tried deleting sorttbls.nlp. Launcher didn't start after that.
Log without sorttbls is much more closer to your log.
For those who are interested, I've uploaded both my logs as an attachment to this thread.

It's seems your .NET installation is damaged. It may affect other .NET applications as well.
  1. Remove everything related to .NET using Control Panel.
  2. Download this: OneDrive
  3. Remove everything related to .NET using that tool.
  4. Reinstall .NET 2.0, .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.0.
    It's better to reinstall them using downloadable packages from microsoft.com, not Control Panel applet.

eee2c8731098.png

19fb67ff5392.png

073f3f54fa19.png

f14c0189bfb8.png

Attachments

• proc mon.zip
    123.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
I do believe that Launcher is unable to start because a file "C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_64\mscorlib\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\sorttbls.nlp" is missing from your computer.
The log you posted shows that Launcher started to loading debug stuff right after it failed to open that "sorttbls.nlp" file.
Note: you probably won't be able to navigate that folder in normal way.
To open that folder, copy-paste its address directly to Explorer's address bar.

My own log look similar to yours, more or less, before accessing file "C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_32\mscorlib\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\sorttbls.nlp", which I do have (I have 32-bit Windows XP, not 64-bit).
After opening sorttbls, my log is becoming pretty different.

I also tried deleting sorttbls.nlp. Launcher didn't start after that.
Log without sorttbls is much more closer to your log.
For those who are interested, I've uploaded both my logs as an attachment to this thread.

It's seems your .NET installation is damaged. It may affect other .NET applications as well.
  1. Remove everything related to .NET using Control Panel.
  2. Download this: OneDrive
  3. Remove everything related to .NET using that tool.
  4. Reinstall .NET 2.0, .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.0.
    It's better to reinstall them using downloadable packages from microsoft.com, not Control Panel applet.

eee2c8731098.png

19fb67ff5392.png

073f3f54fa19.png

f14c0189bfb8.png
i don't have GAC_64 folder so i'll try to reinstall all .NET frameworks

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
i don't have GAC_64 folder so i'll try to reinstall all .NET frameworks
Make sure you grab any updates and patches from Windows Update for .NET3.5 Including any Service packs (.NET 3.5 SP1). I'm wondering if you don't have the 64Bit folders if you upgraded from WinXP 32bit or something.

Launcher uses 3.5 and 4.0, maybe 2.0 as well.
Launcher uses only .NET3.5. It's probably also an idea to have 2.0 installed as well.

Make sure you grab any updates and patches from Windows Update for .NET3.5 Including any Service packs (.NET 3.5 SP1). I'm wondering if you don't have the 64Bit folders if you upgraded from WinXP 32bit or something.

Launcher uses only .NET3.5. It's probably also an idea to have 2.0 installed as well.
i will check Windows Update, and no, i didnt upgrade my OS fron WinXP, i had istalled it on formatted SSD

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
i don't have GAC_64 folder
Wrong!
You do have that folder, and your log proves it.
You probably didn't pay attention to my note in previous post:
"Note: you probably won't be able to navigate that folder in normal way.
To open that folder, copy-paste its address directly to Explorer's address bar."

One more time:
It's hidden folder. Hidden in special way. It cannot be reached by clicking parent folders in Windows Explorer, the (only) way to open it is copy-paste this line directly to address bar:
C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_64\mscorlib\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089

There is no "sorttbls.nlp" file in that folder, though, and that's the problem.

3b3284335fe7.png

i'll try to reinstall all .NET frameworks
Yes, do it.
Use that removal tool I posted in previous reply.

I'm wondering if you don't have the 64Bit folders
Wrong!
He has. Check the log.
if you upgraded from WinXP 32bit or something.
Wrong!
You cannot upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit. Migration is impossible.
I'm going to buy a new PC this year, since it will have more than 4GB RAM there is no sense to use 32-bit OS. Not being able to move all my settings to new OS is the only thing that makes me sad about a purchase :(
I will lose all my installed programs :(
Launcher uses only .NET3.5.
Wrong!

45a21627665a.png

Also, there was some useful post about Launcher uses .NET 4.0 in this thread: Launcher - Issues with the launcher (sample way to write a thread!)
But now it's deleted. I want to wish a testicular cancer to whoever did it.

e278c76d93c9.jpg

Last edited:

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Oooh Screenshots! Can I play? :)

Here is the actual configuration from Visual Studio:
LauncherConfigNF35.png

And if you still don't believe me, here is Launcher on Windows XP VM with only .NET 2.0, .NET3.0 and .NET3.5

LauncherNF35.png

What the framework does with regards to later versions being present or what happens if other applications inject newer CLR components into the application is beyond Launcher's control.

Infact, here is the list of modules loaded in my dev machine. You'll notice nothing later than Version 3.5 loaded:
LauncherModules.png

YOOOOOOHOOOOOO
Finally, i can play!!!! Thanks guys a lot!
Here some facts:
1) I've installed 44 main and 6 additional updates for .NET frameworks (some 5 updates didnt install but its not affect)
2) you can't delete .NET framework 2.0,3.0,3.5 from Windows 7,because .NET framework 3.5.1 contais all of them and is being a component of the OS.
3) I reinstalled 4.0 .NET framework (again :D)
4) You're right about hidden folders (but i have such folders in another location too: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly (GAC_64, GAC_32, GAC_MSIL)
So i think, that i just needed to install windows updates for .net framework

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Oooh Screenshots! Can I play?
Oops, it actually may prove you are right... I will check it when I have more time.

But, I just suspect now that current version of Launcher is recompiled by you.
Cause I can clearly remember times when Launcher was maintained by LoU. After an update, I wasn't able to run Launcher anymore, I had only .NET 3.5. I installed 4.0, and Launcher worked again.
You probably released new version of Launcher that doesn't require .NET 4.0 some time ago.

I wish there was an archive of all versions of MBII Launcher, so I could point out when changes were made, but I only have current Launcher.
And I seriously cannot track all the versions on my own and check compatibility with different .NET version over and over again. Too much work.
Finally, i can play!!!! Thanks guys a lot!
I'm glad it's solved now :)
you can't delete .NET framework 2.0,3.0,3.5 from Windows 7,because .NET framework 3.5.1 contais all of them and is being a component of the OS.
I wasn't sure it was possible anyway, even using Microsoft tools.
I suggested you to try it, and I had backup plan in case it would fail -- simply copying .nlp files from my computer to yours.
4) i don't have folders in C:\Windows\assembly because they are in another location: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly (GAC_64, GAC_32, GAC_MSIL)
That's strange.
Maybe there is something with how Process Monitor works on Win 7, or something.

That's strange.
Maybe there is something with how Process Monitor works on Win 7, or something.
You're maybe right about hidden folders, because i have only "v.4.0.4.0.0.0_b..." folder in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_64\mscorlib
and nothing about "2.0.0.0_b...."
And i can't reach such folder (C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_64\mscorlib) neither clicking parent folders nor through adress bar

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Oops, it actually may prove you are right... I will check it when I have more time.

But, I just suspect now that current version of Launcher is recompiled by you.
Cause I can clearly remember times when Launcher was maintained by LoU. After an update, I wasn't able to run Launcher anymore, I had only .NET 3.5. I installed 4.0, and Launcher worked again.
You probably released new version of Launcher that doesn't require .NET 4.0 some time ago.

I wish there was an archive of all versions of MBII Launcher, so I could point out when changes were made, but I only have current Launcher.
And I seriously cannot track all the versions on my own and check compatibility with different .NET version over and over again. Too much work.

The visual studio screenshot is compiled today (And is the updated launcher). The Launcher running under XP is the one downloaded from the website. There haven't been any updates to launcher since I started working on it late last year - and for at least 6 months before that.

I don't know how it was done before but if a new version of Launcher goes out there will be a news post about it with patch notes just like the usual MBII update notes. Hopefully a dev diary on the updated launcher soon. Unfortunately when this happens a lot of the current support stuff will be out of date, so if you want to have a chat once the dev diary is out so that the support stuff you very kindly do is up to date we certainly can.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
And if you still don't believe me, here is Launcher on Windows XP VM with only .NET 2.0, .NET3.0 and .NET3.5
Well, after performing some tests I can say that you are right.
I uninstalled .NET 4.0, but Launcher still works for me.
Current version of MBII Launcher does NOT require .NET 4.0, it requires .NET 3.5.

It's pretty weird tbh, cause as I said, long time ago there was a day when I suddenly wasn't able to run Launcher anymore having only .NET 3.5. Back then, I installed .NET 4.0 and Launcher started to work again. Since then and until this thread, I didn't do any tests.
The problem is, I cannot prove it :(
I tried to search older version of MBII Launcher on the Internet, no luck. I couldn't find any previous versions at all :(

I'm sorry that I posted some misleading information, but I didn't do it on purpose, though.
You're maybe right about hidden folders, because i have only "v.4.0.4.0.0.0_b..." folder in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_64\mscorlib
and nothing about "2.0.0.0_b...."
And i can't reach such folder (C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_64\mscorlib) neither clicking parent folders nor through adress bar
The funny thing I discovered that I have problems accessing this folder as well.
Sometimes it opens, something an error shows up. It's very inconsistent, but my screenshot few posts above proves that sometimes that folder is available.
idk what makes it behave this way and how to make it consistent.