Maybe...just...Maybe?

is it only me who wants to see Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet Saber Style?
Ahsoka tano, Starkiller and Some other Jedi within the Universe Wielded this saber style.
you are probably thinking
"this is going to be terrible, how are you suppose to block?"

well if you think about it, you can simply have the block animation like this
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Starkiller Dark Skin Aswell as the saber
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

It would be cool seeing more and more characters and skins added, would make the game more fun in my opinion.
Starkiller is just one example for those who are a fan of the franchise as me.
Adding HK-47 Would also be awesome as a Bounty Hunter.
And so forth!

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
It actually exist in some forms of far-east swordfighting techniques, and is well-known for western world short blades.

Still, it doesn't change fact that we don't have:

a) decent animations for it
b) sane specifications proposal
c) implementation at any stage of usefulness for Open

...which makes the point exactly as moot as it was at the start of this discussion.

As a swordsman, I find your suggestion of these techniques nonsensical. Ples source

Holding anything longer than 18" knife backwards would get you killed, even at that, you have more options open to you holding it normally. Ice pick grips exist solely for penetrating armor, and have no proper functionality in a fight.

Also, keep in mind, 'Far-East' is a very vague term.

People from the East had many retards that thought such things as sword whips and blade frisbees were a good idea. *Stares at Indian Rajputs*

Most Eastern 'arts' were more or less for show. There is also a great difference between dueling and actual warfare. Miyamoto Musashi was the most renowned, and possibly the best duelist from the Far-East (Vague again), yet he only fought other Japanese duelists, and never once suggested holding a sword backwards. As for warfare, most of these ideas and unique styles/weapons were absolutely useless. Katana? Mediocre sword, decent for dueling unarmored opponents, garbage for warfare. Kusarigama, Kanabo, etc. All of these things were pretty much useless in warfare. Only the Yari/Yumi proved any use.

The Westerners also had many retarded ideas, such as this one:
latest

Is there artwork of a few idiots holding a sword backward? Yup. Does that make it practical? Nope.

The only practical reason to ever hold your sword backwards, is to finish someone off on the ground, if they have a lot of armor to get through, used to thrust through it. The better method of course would be to kick him down, move on, and let the man with the poleaxe/mace behind you finish him off.

So no, icepick gripping swords is utterly retarded and impractical.

Here are a couple videos of what proper swordsmanship looks like. By watching them, you'll begin to notice that reach, and quick unexpected strikes, rule the dueling scene. The reason for that, is because in these sparring matches, one good strike will give you the point. In a real battle, you'd of course have to get through armor/flesh/bone to do any real damage. This applies quite substantially to lightsabers, as a lightsaber would be a weightless weapon that requires almost no effort to penetrate armor/flesh. Also, if you held your 'saber' backwards, like an idiot, you'd be only utilizing one possible attack angle, restricting your reach, and your reflex parrying. So Ahsoka/Starkiller are really bad at using swords.

Now, if you had the reflexes of a magic space wizard, and could predict the future strikes of an opponent, your entire battle plan would be to parry their weapon out of the way, so you could safely dispatch them, without the risk of killing each other. Why parry? Because parrying is infinitely superior to taking all of that force into a static block, and praying that you're strong enough to stop his laser sword from slicing your face off. Parrying also allows you to respond with a riposte and dispatch them. Redirecting energy is far better than taking the brunt of it. Which is why Dooku is my favorite Lord, and why I feel as though Anakin/Luke are shit-tier swordsmen.

ezgif-1518642350.gif

Last edited:
Here we see an example of half-swording and a representation of a bastard strike in effect.

Half-Swording was used to propperly aim a stab between the gaps of the armor with longswords.

A Bastard Strike (at least that's how its called in my language) was a technique used with longswords whilst half-swording. It kind of made of your sword an axe (hammer if you only hit them with the grip/guard) to bash and sometimes pierce the opponnet's heavy armor, using the weight of the weapon on your favour.

None of this means that using a reversed grip is a good idea with a lightsaber though. And, obviously, half-swording with a lightsaber is a bad idea if you want to conserve your hands.

Holding a lightsaber in reverse is a known saber style in canon though, with its pros and cons, but the game doesn't have enough animations to propperly introduce it to the mod, the best you can do is play half-staff at it, and, as already mentioned before, that's like playing staff with a nerf, it's best to just play staff.