mapThird

Hey, I have been working on a map for awhile now, and I recently uploaded it to JKHub.
https://jkhub.org/files/file/3507-mapthird/
Dropbox - zz_mapthird.pk3
"set not long after man's discovery of the force, and the creation of the "Order of the Force," this once renowned temple has long been forgotten, nature having taken hold, the elements battering it over the many years - only ruins remain. Outside the temple, is the tournament grounds, and it is here that the Order's initiates would battle one another for the right to be trained by the Grand Master. The temple//castle has many different floors and a few hidden secrets to find
ohmy.png
! Looping level design makes it a perfect Deathmatch style map"
You will find the map reguarly running on "The People's New MB2 Server (125.63.61.214:29071)" Please note that this server is Australian/Oceanic region so you may get high ping depending on where you live ~ don't let that stop you from loading up the map and checking it out when you can, as it is heaps of fun with more people.
imgur album VRFiDx2

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Update: Mapthird 1.14 (the link on the JKHub page has been updated as well)
Dropbox - zz_mapthird.pk3
This is a quick hotfix of sorts to fix all the issues that popped up from previous build (e.g. brushes breaking and becoming see-through,ect) as well as adding some softer lights to the darker areas in the new section(s). Additionally, I started to hollow out the walls, and added a passage to a particular wall - adding more depth to the temple, and serving as an alternative route to get outside.

Last edited:
Yes, I have begun work on that in small parts. Adding a way to walk up without using the force isn't hard, but adding cover that is believable as rubble, which has fallen or been blasted off, is why I have been putting it off. I also intended to, someday, release a FA version where the Sith must slowly make their way up to the top, and the Jedi team have to defend - with multiple objectives/buttons that need to be pressed to allow the Sith to proceed.

actually i wrote this prematurely but then decided to ask first whether you are going to make an open version, so here are my 2 cents

I liked the concept of a vertically based map, there are no such maps in mb2 currently to my knowledge, so it'd be fun to see something like this in the future in the map poll.
However, the layout is too erratic. It's good in a sense of infinite gameplay scenarios, but terrible because of a lack of a straightforward strategy. Look at commtower or corellia, these are good examples of a convoluted map design with mutiple possible scenarios, but they have a straightforward defense strategy to the opposite side. My suggestion is to simplify the map and enclose some areas (attackers will be at a huge disadvantage especially if you make the ascent clockwise. Also they will be extremely vulnurable for the rocket and nade spam, as it is hard to push nades on stairs).
The open area of the map is too dark, lacks details and IMO is absolutely unnecessary. What about making it only inside the temple? Some kind of objective on the roof? Defending side spawns on the top, while the attackers have to progress upwards? (imo sith should be the defending side, because if they attack it basically means mandospam)
Also details may require your attention. The inside fills too empty. Add some greenery, maybe bushes or something?

Last edited:
The map was designed specifically for Jedi V Sith. While you might view the layout as erratic, it is far from it - each platform has a purpose; either to catch you as you fall, or to help you to get from point A to point B.

I am confused, on one hand you say it is erratic but then you also mention that the inside feels empty. This is a temple ruins, what should I add to the floor besides more rubble? I mean, sure, I can place a whole bunch of bushes onto the ground if you want to FPS to drop significantly.

The tournament grounds is necessary, and so is the expansive sky box and large open area surrounding the temple - why? because vehicles. I got sick of looking for big open maps to fly a ship around in.

Adding cover for gunfire, in the shape of additional walls and roofs to cover said walls, and a way to walk up the top is all the map needs for it to be viable open. Mando's can fly to the top if they want, there will be nothing up there for them, as you would need to do the objectives in a sequential order. Being exposed in places of the map - having clear advantages and disadvantages - will add depth to it.

Anything that lacks detail is because of the limitation of the engine - there is a literal limit to how many models you can have, how many breakable objects, a limit to how many sides a 'structural brush' can have, and so on. Trust me, if I could, this map would be full of tiny details.

Walls and stones could use some custom design. Take a look at levels from other games in the same key (ruins of something).
...is all the map needs for it to be viable open.

I see that the initial purpose for this map is Jedi vs SIth, but in order to make a map viable for open you need muuuuch more than that. I mean, take a look at dxun, eravana, scarif, long awaited starkiller base, theed, and even the new dotf. These are all beautifully designed maps with careful attention for details with tons of hours invested. But nobody ever plays them (with the exception for the latter, which gets a lot of hate). Why? They all have either some fundmental flaws in level design or multiple small flaws that total in an unenjoyable experience. If you do not want your map to join the "yet -another-cool-map -that-nobody-ever-plays" league you should revise everything much more carefully.
From the first look i found tons of unfair flanking advantages, tons of places for timewasting, huge open empty space with zero visibility in some areas, chokepoints, and a lot of places for pop-and-kill strategy. This will heavily promote jedi spam thus becoming boring really quickly.
If you want to keep the open space you could try something of "castle siege" scenario, could be fun (like on medievil).
For now it could be fun for dueling mode.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
reminds me of that one halo 1 map called prisoner