launcher bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello

i'd like to report a bug

every time i start the MBII Launcher twice accidentally i get this message

KBQ3NDZ.jpg

the '...' is pretty passive aggressive and i don't apprectiate my computer being pissed at me

i think a single dot would be sufficient

thank you for listening

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Well, it's not a bug, it's just a little out of style message.
Also, message box doesn't have a caption, and there is no any information what application actually caused this window.
A good practice is set caption of message box equal a name of program, "MBII Launcher" in this case.

But it would be even better if Launcher doesn't display any message boxes at all in such situations, finding and restoring from tray (i. e. displaying to a user) already existing window instead.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
ffs guys this is a "Bug Tracker" section, not "Post-whatever-random-stuff-you-want-to-post" section.

EDIT: I know it's not right to answer deleted posts, but I just want to make some things clear:
puppy, he didn't report a bug.
He reported a feature to stop you from having multiple instances of the launcher from being on.
Yes, this is not a truly bug, it's just wrong design.
But it wasn't clear what fix exactly he wanted; I pointed out what could make a fix.
And made a joke about the caption being passive aggressive.
While making jokes is ok, making jokes that could make bug report confusing isn't.
And if we forget for minute that Launcher should simply show existing window, actually, that message box aren't fit good design practices:
It doesn't have a caption, dots are unnecessary, and there is no suggested solution ("Click on Launcher's icon at the system tray to see a previous instance").
The characteristics of good error messages

In contrast to the previous bad examples, good error messages have:
A problem. States that a problem occurred.
A cause. Explains why the problem occurred.
A solution. Provides a solution so that users can fix the problem.
Error Messages (Windows)
State the problem, its probable cause (if known), and what the user can do about it, no matter how obvious the solution. Try to include enough information so that an advanced user or technical support person can quickly diagnose and solve the problem.

And yes, it's obvious @Gumba's gif was a joke, why did you think I took it serious?
Single jokes in "Bug tracker" or "Support" are ok, we already has them, but there is a difference between "post a one joke" and "trash thread with unrelated things".

Last edited:

Cat Lady

Movie Battles II Team Retired
Cleaned the thread from trash unrelated to bug report, and handled some fresh warnings. Please threat bug report section as strict-moderation zone, guys.

Back on topic...

Cleaned the thread from trash unrelated to bug report, and handled some fresh warnings. Please threat bug report section as strict-moderation zone, guys.

Back on topic...
Did you bother to read the thread?

This isen't a bug report, the thread is a joke.
If we are going to take this seriously, move it to feedback and discuss what the error message should say.

Last edited:

Cat Lady

Troll thread or not troll thread, it is not invite to troll even more. Someone from team *still* must read and moderate this garbage - if you don't know how to behave, behave decently (or just look how puppytine behaves and mimic it ;) )

Anyway, point about moving it to feedback section is good one, done.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
are you gonna take this troll thread serious? Are you kidding me.
Even if this thread is formed poorly, it still have some points, and I've already explained why.
I've posted a links to Microsoft application's design guides.

Though it's really not very important indeed, I doubt @LoU would even bother fixing it, but at least we pointed out some little thing that could be improved. :)

btw I have one more suggestion:
Implement detection of not patched JA (1.0.0.0 vs 1.0.1.0) in MBII.

Why?
Because current situation is not user-friendly. People who has old Jedi Academy run Movie Battles, and simply see no servers. Game crashes when they trying opening a console.
We already have a lot of threads about that.

What would be great?
User starts JA that has no patch.
User sees a message like "Your copy of Jedi Academy is not patched to 1.0.1.0. Game will not run correctly. Download patch from here: <link>, or switch to MBII Client".

How to realize?
Just extract and check version information from jamp.exe.
Or compare md5 of jamp.exe to known hashes.
To get a path of active engine, use GetModuleFileName(GetModuleHandle(NULL), ...).

Last edited:

Subaru

Not a car!
Donator
Thanks for the report. We will consider if it's worth fixing or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.