Jedi ability to protect the ones behind them

I posted it originally in the thread about force stun.

Summary:
What about an ability that makes you block in a larger area protecting the ones behind you? I never understood why can't jedi do this reliably.

Possible details:

It could work while holding block and pressing special 1, you'd have to release block when throwing saber, not a big deal. Would be wonderful eg. if your team has to push against snipers in a corridor. Advocates teamwork. It could costs a couple points and/or drain more FP.

Reinhardt much?

But srsly I don't think that's physically possible. Do you expect saberist to elongate his arms or his lightsaber? And of course, no one will animate it, so not gonna happen.

Reinhardt much?

But srsly I don't think that's physically possible. Do you expect saberist to elongate his arms or his lightsaber? And of course, no one will animate it, so not gonna happen.

Is it needed? Don't they block only the shots that would hit them now? Their saber reach further than their hitbox I think. If they could use the whole range of the saber that would make it much more reliable. Maybe reliable enough to protect a single teammate right behind you.

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
Reinhardt much?

It's actually quite possible. The simplest way would be to turn off the code that allows for shots to pass through nearby the saber in whatever circumstance (if I'm remembering the code correctly that is since I'm just going off of what I've briefly seen while skimming around). Another option would be enlarging the hitbox on the saber as well in the same circumstance so that it could catch more shots or some such. It's an interesting idea/concept in any case.

It's actually quite possible. The simplest way would be to turn off the code that allows for shots to pass through nearby the saber in whatever circumstance (if I'm remembering the code correctly that is since I'm just going off of what I've briefly seen while skimming around). Another option would be enlarging the hitbox on the saber as well in the same circumstance so that it could catch more shots or some such. It's an interesting idea/concept in any case.
Oh, that may actually be good. Well, I still think it would look silly if saberists just magically consumed shots from 2 meters away, but it is an interesting concept indeed. It may work as a separate purchasable ability or something.

I think it was quite similiar before 1.4? You blocked shots even if they wouldn't hit you. I imagine it could be very annoying with flinch tho.

Don't like the sound of that. There's a fine line between a good support saberist and a dude who doesn't quite understand/care how to defend his gunners and it should stay that way. Sorry if that sounds rude or anything, but I've seen some proper support jedi/sith and this problem doesn't really affect their ability to block off blaster fire.

Enlarging saber hitboxes is just going to disrupt the balance. We already have a lot of this stupid bullshit when saberists simply rush gunners with +forward and +attack and still somehow block shots while attacking. Happens all the time with staff or duals and a bit less with normal styles. I feel like they've been enlarged already sometime during the RC era or perhaps later as I don't remember enduring so much of this in the pre-RC era. Come on guys it's like a free fucking Q3. It needs to be fixed.

That being said, if you think there's a way to manipulate the way it works to be dictated by the distance of incoming fire, then it would be possible to have the best of both worlds, allowing saberists to have better protecting power at medium/high range if the community so desires indeed and at the same time eliminating their ridiculous ability to block shots that clearly should have been hits at close range.

Last edited:

Karus

Donator
Don't like the sound of that. There's a fine line between a good support saberist and a dude who doesn't quite understand/care how to defend his gunners and it should stay that way. Sorry if that sounds rude or anything, but I've seen some proper support jedi/sith and this problem doesn't really affect their ability to block off blaster fire.

Enlarging saber hitboxes is just going to disrupt the balance. We already have a lot of this stupid bullshit when saberists simply rush gunners with +forward and +attack and still somehow block shots while attacking. Happens all the time with staff or duals and a bit less with normal styles. I feel like they've been enlarged already sometime during the RC era or perhaps later as I don't remember enduring so much of this in the pre-RC era. Come on guys it's like a free fucking Q3. It needs to be fixed.

That being said, if you think there's a way to manipulate the way it works to be dictated by the distance of incoming fire, then it would be possible to have the best of both worlds, allowing saberists to have better protecting power at medium/high range if the community so desires indeed and at the same time eliminating their ridiculous ability to block shots that clearly should have been hits at close range.
Agreed but personally I think this kind of mechanic would be so unnecessary, annoying and would just be something new to complain about.
Ok, there's a lack of teamwork in MB2 but let's not implement mechanics to make this mod even more retarded than what it is.
(No offence devs I love dis game pls dnt ban me frm master server pls thx luv u x)
If members of a team actually decided to work together instead of attempting to personally ego rush the entire enemy team, it'd be more than easy for the Sith/Jedi to protect gunners if they so desired to. Which is my point. Most sith/jedi don't care about the gunners lol.

Agreed but personally I think this kind of mechanic would be so unnecessary, annoying and would just be something new to complain about.
Ok, there's a lack of teamwork in MB2 but let's not implement mechanics to make this mod even more retarded than what it is.
(No offence devs I love dis game pls dnt ban me frm master server pls thx luv u x)
If members of a team actually decided to work together instead of attempting to personally ego rush the entire enemy team, it'd be more than easy for the Sith/Jedi to protect gunners if they so desired to. Which is my point. Most sith/jedi don't care about the gunners lol.

That's not a problem of mechanics or how the game works, that's just how most people play the game on pubs.

I think if you hit the saber there is no fp drain at all, so I wouldn't like enlarging saber hitboxes either. Jedi already block lot of the shots even at their back when swinging the saber while moving. I just meant the old behaviour where even the shots that wouldn't hit the saberists is blocked by the saber and not let through. Probably with a larger range (as large as looks acceptible with the current animations). I can imagine it as a toggleable ability that drains fp, not a permanent thing.

Eg. Rebs hiding behind the wall at dotf corridor, nade is thrown and a clone flies out to the open. He would die unless a jedi jumps in front of him blocking all the shots. Currently it's possible if lucky but unreliable to block completely with the small hitbox of the jedi body.

I'd like it because
  1. jedis go forward and block shots even for the soldiers behind them in the movies.
  2. but more importantly if you get saved by other players I think you will work together more. And it will create a less toxic community.

Btw, this ability could be unbelieveably OP if you your allies can shoot from behind you while you are blocking enemy shots.