How to generate HUD info arcs as bars?

I'm trying to make my own HUD.

I know just enough to align, reposition, and resize certain things, now. But when it comes to altering the left and right huds, beyond those transformation types, I'm at a loss.

For now, I just want their information represented as bars, rather than arcs. But I haven't found anything I can tweak to straighten out the tics.

So, if you can, please explain how I can get bars instead.

Cheers!

Last edited:

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I don't believe this is currently possible with the exception of the fuel bar.

It will be possible in the future whenever I have a chance to get to doing the rest of the HUD update.

Yeah... I thought that might be the case.

In the days after I posted this, I was hoping to be able to copy and paste certain elements from the various HUD options available, and manipulate them as needed, such as the "old class bar", and those from the team overlay. But I couldn't figure out how they were being drawn anyway, and just settled on the idea that it's probably all hard coded.

So I'm not too disappointed at the verdict. But I'm very thankful for you sharing it nonetheless. Now I can let it be, knowing there's pretty much nothing more I can do. But I hope one day I can pick up the project again, because having seen bars™ in the example prototype on the roadmap, which is looking very nice and clean btw, makes me hopeful that I can get something somewhat close to my vision.

This is what I have currently...
shot2023-10-13_15-42-51.jpg

I have yet to properly play with it on any servers. And I'm actually curious if these modifications are even allowed. I saw someone do something very similar on another thread, and kinda assumed it was okay, but it'd be nice for some clarity.

And this is where I'd like to go...
FPS HUD mockup.png

If I had to describe it in a word, it would be, "centralised". I doubt I'll be able to implement even half of the things I'd like. This is my first attempt at crafting a HUD afterall, with some quite out there ideas, and little room for manoeuvre, but I did manage to get the minimap in place! Any constructive thoughts on this are also welcome.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I have yet to properly play with it on any servers. And I'm actually curious if these modifications are even allowed. I saw someone do something very similar on another thread, and kinda assumed it was okay, but it'd be nice for some clarity.

Yes this is fine and allowed. Just for the purposes of later additions make sure you set it up as its own HUD slot, rather than overwriting the main UI.

Yes this is fine and allowed. Just for the purposes of later additions make sure you set it up as its own HUD slot, rather than overwriting the main UI.
Thanks. That's good to hear.

Unfortunately I don't think I'm fluent enough in how the HUD works to understand what exactly you're trying to say after that. Mostly from not knowing what a HUD slot is yet. If you could expand on that, or dumb it down, it might help me understand. At the moment I'm thinking not to mess with lefthud and righthud...

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Mostly from not knowing what a HUD slot is yet. If you could expand on that, or dumb it down, it might help me understand.

Open your HUD pk3 and/or MBAssets3 (if starting from scratch)
Then go to ui/mb/alpha/hud and copy those files into a new folder like ui/mb/yourname/hud

Then grab mb_hud.txt from mbassets3.pk3/ui and copy paste it and rename to something like yourname_hud.txt. Open it up and modify the paths to the ones you used above.

Then go into mbassets3.pk3/ui/cfg/hud and copy alpha.cfg and rename it to yourname.cfg. Opening it up and replacing the mb_hud.txt with yourname_hud.txt

Then go in game and swap to your layout in the hud layout settings of the UI section.

Thank you very much! It's very kind of you, and I appreciate the time and effort involved.

I've got my hands full at the moment, so I'll take a closer look another time. At a glance, I shouldn't have any problems following it, so no need to keep tabs. But if I happen to get stuck, and you don't mind helping out again, it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Last edited: