How to edit font / text size

I've seen A LOT of people complaining and crying about the new font and text size (screenshot below) so I'm going to give a little "how to" on customising the chat to suit you. (All credit goes to @MaceMadunusus for helping me out in the first place with all of this.)

1624307541920.png

To start off with, navigate to your "GameData/MBII" folder. From there, go to "mbassets3.pk3/ui/mb/alpha/hud". You are looking for "mb_hud_chat.menu", open this with Notepad or something similar that allows you to edit text within the file.

Once opened, you want to look for these 2 highlighted sections:

1624307919818.png

Changing the "textscale" will increase / decrease the size of text in your game, for example 0.10 will be miniscule, 0.90 will be huge. Font will change the font type (duh) that appears in game (it will also fix the ? that so many of you are complaining about). I recommend using this list that Mace provided to set your desired font type. (Starts at 1, ends at 9. Line 5 is a note left behind from the copypaste so please ignore it. This also means that line 6 is actually font 5, line 7 is font 6, line 8 is font 7, etc.) Also note that the first 4 font types are from base JKA so they will appear much smaller in-game compared to the new fonts introduced in 1.6 (fonts 5 - 9), meaning you'll have to experiment a little with your textscale to get this how you want it.

@swagmaster also provided a mod that works with the old chat fonts (font type 1 - 4) to make them look more high quality -> High quality fonts <- give it a try if it interests you.

There is also a known issue where if there are long lines of text, it will cut off at the edge of your screen rather than start a new line (just open console to read what was said if this occurs...) There's no workaround it currently but I'm sure there'll be an announcement when a fix is found.

I hope all of this helps you at least cope with the "disgustingly horrible game breakingly bad" changes to the font in this mod. As you were x

(For those wondering, the values set in the screenshot above are what I'm currently using and my chat appears like this):
1624308408196.png

Attachments

• 1624308390051.png
    1624308390051.png
    268.3 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
you're a champion dude thanks for this. do you know if there's any way to revert the new team overlay to the old classic team overlay? cheers

also is there any way to revert the font/text from the tab menu and the timer? thanks

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
you're a champion dude thanks for this. do you know if there's any way to revert the new team overlay to the old classic team overlay? cheers

also is there any way to revert the font/text from the tab menu and the timer? thanks

Team overlay it isnt currently possible because I ran out of time before release (I noted this in the changelog) but will be possible in the future.

However, scoreboard and timer are possible. You just modify mb_hud_timer and mb_hud_scoreboard instead. Those are a bit more complicated than the above change. So I cant really give a full easy write up on how to do that atm so its up to you to figure it out.