How important is YAWING?

asAconsumer

Banned

YAWING a skill or a vehicle of confusion?

"Yawing can be done for single hits as well as in combos, doing it in combos essentially renders your combos
'unblockable' due to how fast the animations land."

I possess mixed feelings towards the fights revolving around "who tilts their player model harder" maybe some ppl find it to be an important element of the current Dueling, and it's the best thing ever for them? There is an increasing trend (from my impression and especially in the OPEN), that involves FACE-HUGGING somebody and then unleashing a barrage of swing-blocked, jawed swings in their face (the more hits the better) hence me calling it "spam." The most common response I get to that is "just use a Slap bruh." And 1 in 3 of my slaps are successful against those opponents.

Tilting the player model to land swings faster is a currently very popular visually confusing strategy that main focus of which could be obstruction of the effectivenss of PBing. This becomes more of an issue in 1 vs 2 and 1 vs 3 where Gunners and more than 1 Saberists are facing off against you.

And I am not referring to fully casual, slappable Duelists (who can be slapped at any time) but certain 'TRY-HARDS' The Players who can easily do 3-4 consecutive swings consistently and barely ever get slapped because they Swing Block Perfectly each time. There does exist a window of opportunity to make a slap I am not denying the following. I wish there were additional mechanics in place to besides countering their swings with my swings, PBing it all, disarming them that's a lot you are required to do to counter much simplier strategy the opponent is deploying, no?

Last edited:
@Tempest

What are you thoughts on increasing the cost for making a swing so that spam = very fast drain of BP for the person's swinging.
I dislike the way "counters" are in the Open it's encouraging the spamming maybe more experienced players will say it's not a problem but that's just my impression.

Spamming random swings is too viable, still...

I am not sure if it's a problem of combo being possible to start again right after a combo or something else but I am sure feeling spammed with my average reaction time for me it's only about possible to PB 50-60% of swings if it's literal spam and I am not any better at disarming.

Do you think 'The Spam' is a problem, planning to do something about it?
Tempests Dueling Build is coming soon.

dude its not 'spamming' that you are experiencing in your open plays as jedivsith. There is a mechanic called 'Interrupting'. That is your problem. Learn what it is in dueling servers, learn how to use it and how to avoid getting interrupted.

Basicly, think u started a swing. But your enemy started another swing before you did. His swing will clash your swing in mid air. Your swing will be interrupted. Cuz he started first. And if you started a combo with that swing, and so does your enemy, all of your swings will gonna get interrupted if your enemy wont do a mistake.

"Interrupts are meant to punish the defender."

Instead of pbing your enemy, u started to do swings too, so the game punishes u for wrong timing.

Btw that spam stuff is just "Yawwed swing" combos i guess. Yaws help your swings connect the enemy faster than without yawwed swings. Spend more time in dueling servers and learn the mechanics.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
Yawing is pretty important on current patch but you can be good without it as well. Hopefully next patch it will become less important like in the older builds

Eazy E

Banned
Yawing:
yawing.gif

Turn your mouse towards the direction of your attacks.
Yawing makes your attacks connect faster but makes them slightly more predictable (The side your attacking from is given away by the direction you turn).
Yawing also comes with the downside of reducing your "forward momentum". By yawing you are turning Left and Right while moving instead of in a straight line this reduces the speed you move into your opponent and makes it easier to evade you.

Yawing has two main downsides. People tend to turn with their hits right before they land them, because of this you can usually guess which side (left or right) their attack is going to come from by simply by looking at how they turn instead of their lightsaber (If they turn left the swing is gonna land on the right and vice versa) but if your reflexes are too slow that you can't PBlock yawed attacks (or the guy you're fighting has mouse sensitivity cramped up to max) then the other option is just to dodge. Moving forwards/sideways in a straight line will get you somewhere faster than turning left and right violently as you move towards your target. For this reason people who yaw are easy af to dodge, the harder they yaw the easier they are to dodge. With good timing you can punish their missed hits with combo interrupts.

Last edited:

YAWING a skill or a vehicle of confusion?

I possess mixed feelings towards the fights revolving around "who tilts their player model harder" maybe some ppl find it to be an important element of the current Dueling, and it's the best thing ever for them? There is an increasing trend (from my impression and especially in the OPEN), that involves FACE-HUGGING somebody and then unleashing a barrage of swing-blocked, jawed swings in their face (the more hits the better) hence me calling it "spam." The most common response I get to that is "just use a Slap bruh." And 1 in 3 of my slaps are successful against those opponents.

Tilting the player model to land swings faster is a currently very popular visually confusing strategy that main focus of which could be obstruction of the effectivenss of PBing. This becomes more of an issue in 1 vs 2 and 1 vs 3 where Gunners and more than 1 Saberists are facing off against you.

And I am not referring to fully casual, slappable Duelists (who can be slapped at any time) but certain 'TRY-HARDS' The Players who can easily do 3-4 consecutive swings consistently and barely ever get slapped because they Swing Block Perfectly each time. There does exist a window of opportunity to make a slap I am not denying the following. I wish there were additional mechanics in place to besides countering their swings with my swings, PBing it all, disarming them that's a lot you are required to do to counter much simplier strategy the opponent is deploying, no?
Against someone with good footwork and good pblocks yawing meets its counters, as Hessu said earlier yawing is pretty important this patch but that does not mean you cannot be good at dueling without yaws.