•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Launcher help with MB2 launcher

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Yo,

Launcher refuses to open because it cant find jamp. I search the path all the way to gamedata, yet it cant find JAMP even tho I have a working JAMP there.

Halp

EDIT: I thought I was writing in support section. Can some helpful dev move my thread?

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
EDIT: I thought I was writing in support section. Can some helpful dev move my thread?
Done.

The launcher is in your GameData folder, right? Has anything changed since the last time you started up the launcher?

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I moved it to gamedata and out again, and now launcher opens. But I can't get it to open mb2. I am trying to make it work with steam integration.

Here is the error I get when I try to click ''play''

''Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. Iff you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately

Cannot create a file when that file already exists''

Details:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.File.Move(String sourceFileName, String destFileName)
at MB2Launcher.LauncherMainF.SteamDoRename()
at MB2Launcher.LauncherMainF.StartGame()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5485 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
MBIILauncher
Win32 Version: 2.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Lauri/Desktop/MBIILauncher.exe
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5485 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5491 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5495 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5483 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5494 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Core
Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Management
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5483 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Shut down/close anything related to Steam, close Launcher, try again.
Steam and Launcher shouldn't be running at the same time, they both renaming jamp and jasp and they will interfere each other by locking those files.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Shut down/close anything related to Steam, close Launcher, try again.
Steam and Launcher shouldn't be running at the same time, they both renaming jamp and jasp and they will interfere each other by locking those files.

But then how do I integrate steam with launcher?

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I didn't have steam on and I got the same error nonetheless. When I tick the box ''steam integration'', I get the same problem. When I have it ticked off, it gives me ''You have choosen not to start movie battles through launcher, please use steam to launch movie battles or go to settings to enable steam connection''

Btw I only have steam integration as a box that I can tick, is there supposed to be some other box too?

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
When I tick the box ''steam integration'', I get the same problem.
Reboot your computer.
Make sure you run Launcher as admin.
Make sure you have permissions to modify files: right click on Jedi Academy\GameData => Properties => Security tab.
Make sure jasp.exe and jamp.exe aren't read only: right click on a file, Properties =>uncheck "Read only" box.
When I have it ticked off, it gives me ''You have choosen not to start movie battles through launcher, please use steam to launch movie battles or go to settings to enable steam connection''
You can run Movie Battles without the Launcher:
Right click on Jedi Academy in your Steam Library and select Properties. You should see a button labeled Set Launch Options. Select that, and in the text field copy and paste +set fs_game "MBII". Whenever you start Jedi Academy Multiplayer through Steam it will automatically load to Movie Battles II. If you want to run base, or another modification, you will need to remove or modify the launch options.
Btw I only have steam integration as a box that I can tick, is there supposed to be some other box too?
Not sure what are you talking about, but there should be other checkboxes, like "Complete installation", "Enable logging" and "Check installation...".

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Reboot your computer.
Make sure you run Launcher as admin.
Make sure you have permissions to modify files: right click on Jedi Academy\GameData => Properties => Security tab.
Make sure jasp.exe and jamp.exe aren't read only: right click on a file, Properties =>uncheck "Read only" box.

You can run Movie Battles without the Launcher:
Right click on Jedi Academy in your Steam Library and select Properties. You should see a button labeled Set Launch Options. Select that, and in the text field copy and paste +set fs_game "MBII". Whenever you start Jedi Academy Multiplayer through Steam it will automatically load to Movie Battles II. If you want to run base, or another modification, you will need to remove or modify the launch options.
Alright, I am gonna do this when I get home. I've been using steam mb2 without using launcher for a long time now. Before that I used both steam and launcher for mb2 until 1 beautiful day it stopped working for no apparent reason. I tried every fix back then but nothing worked, now I am trying to get it to work again.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Did everything you asked me to, even if I launched it as administrator, it didn't work. Exact same error happens. If nothing else then I just have to stick with no launcher and steam only :(

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Did everything you asked me to, even if I launched it as administrator, it didn't work. Exact same error happens. If nothing else then I just have to stick with no launcher and steam only :(
Delete folder JediAcademy\GameData\MBII_Launcher, try again.
Post a screenshot of JediAcademy\GameData so all files could be seen.
Post a screenshot of Security tab of Properties of JediAcademy\GameData folder.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Delete folder JediAcademy\GameData\MBII_Launcher, try again.
Done, now it claims that no moviebattles was detected when launcher opened

I did the two other things too, I didn't take picture of the security tab because I checkd and I have full control of everything (I know windows well enough how to use it).
Here is gamedata
Rvm2Gte.png

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Done, now it claims that no moviebattles was detected when launcher opened
Click "Install" button. Launcher won't download files already on the disk, so it shouldn't take a lot of time.
Here is gamedata
Rename "temp" file to some other name, try launching MBII using Launcher again.

btw you can also Launcher => Settings => Engine: MBII Client => Play, though that won't use Steam integration.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Hurray, it works! I believe the install and removing temp worked, no idea what that temp file even was.
I guess Launcher renames jamp and jasp using that temp file; but once, Launcher was trying to do it while Steam was running, which have those files locked.
Launcher crashed, leaved temp file on disk instead of deleting it. Each next time when Launcher tried to rename files again, it couldn't complete it because create disposition was set to "fail if file already exists".
Now when this file isn't exists anymore, renaming jamp and jasp in the way I've described is possible again.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Hurray, it works! I believe the install and removing temp worked, no idea what that temp file even was.
If you notice when you run MBII with the launcher it's actually running jasp.exe. The launcher renames jamp to jasp, so it no doubt makes a temporary copy of either one of the files during the process where it's renaming them.

I'll note this solution down for the launcher, not really sure why it happens, though.

LoU

R2D2
Remove temp.exe. It will work, the problem is, to bypass steam shitty api, Launcher renames jamp to jasp and jasp to jamp in order to start multiplayer. To do that it has to rename to temp.exe first, then to ja*p. Gonna fix it so it won't happen again, sorry.