hello movie 2 developers where is dueling patch

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
I mean its not that differnt from what is there now, so i dont know why people expect so much from it. But we will test it and i stand ready to eat my words.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
Like defiant said, it was not. CTF was started before tempest build did, and has been in progress longer as a result. Also it was Redsaurus, Spaghetti, and I that mainly worked on finishing up CTF stuff. Tempest is the only one that is currently working on his saber stuff.

This entire thread just makes me sad though, cause its full of misreading the words of devs to intentionally cause problems between us and the community. My estimates are generally based on everyone having adequate time to work on things each day and that isn't always the case. I often use words like hopefully, in order to convey its an estimate. Having my words taken as a guarantee when I did not word it like that doesn't help things. I also said many times that CTF open beta was a trial run of the launcher, to prep for the larger open beta for the saber system. Not that "once ctf is done we can care about saber build" because that isn't what I said and I have frequently said that the two are not reliant in any way on one or the other.

As far as I am aware, it is more or less ready for open beta, but the launcher is not. We ran CTF open beta to get more eyes on the launcher to help get rid of the bugs, without impacting the more important saber open beta and so that it could be smoother when ran.
Yeah like I said before, the open beta should've been be up before the launcher is finished (and I remember you thinking so too) so we could have more time to test it and later have more people come over to test with the new launcher.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
It couldn't and cannot be up before the new launcher is done as the old one does not have the capability to deliver a beta version.

Additionally, because of the way it was built it could not be extended to add the capacity. No one wanted to rebuild it, because it takes time away from other development activities I could be doing. It is something that is unavoidable if we want to run open betas which are not closed circle echo chambers.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
It couldn't and cannot be up before the new launcher is done as the old one does not have the capability to deliver a beta version.

Additionally, because of the way it was built it could not be extended to add the capacity. No one wanted to rebuild it, because it takes time away from other development activities I could be doing. It is something that is unavoidable if we want to run open betas which are not closed circle echo chambers.
Just do it the same way as you did with CTF, with the new launcher beta. But its pointless to do it that way at this point I guess.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Then not everyone will be able to participate because they don't have the right launcher. It would be wrong to assume people will go out of their way to get a new launcher just to try it. We need to cast the net as wide as possible to include as many people as possible which means making participating as easy as possible. Two clicks vs the whole process of reading the news item, going to the website, finding the download link for the launcher, installing it, opting in, waiting for the install and so on.

Can we just agree that the devs are pretty cool for once? Coding is a nonlinear process, especially with an old engine.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
Then not everyone will be able to participate because they don't have the right launcher. It would be wrong to assume people will go out of their way to get a new launcher just to try it. We need to cast the net as wide as possible to include as many people as possible which means making participating as easy as possible. Two clicks vs the whole process of reading the news item, going to the website, finding the download link for the launcher, installing it, opting in, waiting for the install and so on.
Just have a longer open beta, first for the people who download the beta launcher and later those who come when the launcher is ready. I know that there is a lot of people who would go the extra mile to get the beta launcher and try it sooner, the duel community has waited for changes for a looong time

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Just have a longer open beta, first for the people who download the beta launcher and later those who come when the launcher is ready. I know that there is a lot of people who would go the extra mile to get the beta launcher and try it sooner, the duel community has waited for changes for a looong time

And alot more who wouldnt make the effort. We cant just appeal to the hardcore enthusiast/the vocal minority. We need to reach out to the people who are more casually interested and dont go out of their way to be on the forums, or be on discord. There are alot of players who dont interact outside of the game. They need to know a beta is going on to participate in it.

And alot more who wouldnt make the effort. We cant just appeal to the hardcore enthusiast/the vocal minority. We need to reach out to the people who are more casually interested and dont go out of their way to be on the forums, or be on discord. There are alot of players who dont interact outside of the game. They need to know a beta is going on to participate in it.
chadno.png

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
announce it somewhere in the main menu?
not something we have the possibility to do dynamically right now, so would require a game update to do and to end. I asked for that possibility to be added for the future, but hasn't been yet.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
Imagine being so entitled that you complain about the release date of a build, in a free mod, being worked on by a small team of developers who develop the mod in their spare time.
Ah yes you're not allowed to complain about bad decisions BECAUSE ITS A FREE MOD!! It's been like 4 years and no update on a shitty duel system

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
I'm not saying you should appeal only to the hardcore ones. You could have feedback from both, just earlier from the "hc" ones and later the casuals as well, when the launcher is ready, having the open beta going before and after the launcher is ready. Just announce it on forums and discord, if someone doesn't interact outside of the game, its very unlikely that you'll recieve any feedback from them either.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Everyone needs to get it at the same time - otherwise you risk not getting meaningful feedback.

We dont want to build an artificial difference between the enthusiast and the casual because if the enthusiast gets early access they are learning the new system and adapting to it and will have an advantage when casuals finally get in. That's almost certainly going to have a negative effect on the casual players perception because there is a bigger skill gap than they are used to.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
Everyone needs to get it at the same time - otherwise you risk not getting meaningful feedback.
I disagree on that. There could also be positive effects on enthusiastic people getting to try it first. When the casuals arrive, the people that already had tested many things can explain and teach how the stuff works in the new system. Especially helpful when some people don't read the patch notes. Also can iron out the system earlier, fixing bugs and such, speeding up the final release.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I'm not saying you should appeal only to the hardcore ones. You could have feedback from both, just earlier from the "hc" ones and later the casuals as well, when the launcher is ready, having the open beta going before and after the launcher is ready. Just announce it on forums and discord, if someone doesn't interact outside of the game, its very unlikely that you'll recieve any feedback from them either.

Isn't that what was already done though with the closed betas that were hosted? So now it is time for the feedback from the wider community.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
Isn't that what was already done though with the closed betas that were hosted? So now it is time for the feedback from the wider community.
If you mean when tempest hosted it, then yes but that was mainly for NA. Last time when we had ''official'' closed duel beta tests was like 3 years ago...