Unconfirmed Headshot hitbox inconsistencies

Kodar

Internal Beta Team
Myself and others have been noticing major inconsistencies with the headshot hitboxes.

I've had more than a handful of situations where I literally could not have shot anything except head, such as only the head sticking above a box or similar, and I hit that, but torso damage is applied.
I've shot targets from an extremely high position, so I'm aiming down, hit them while they are stationary in the head with 100% certainty, and torso damage applies.

I'm not sure what's going on with that, but it definitely needs a look.

Preston

Nerd
Also have had many situations where ill get projd literally in the head as a 100hp class and survive. Literally seeing the blob mark on the top of my head surviving with 20+hp.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
I've never been a fan of those multipliers. It works better in games where the projectiles are instant and the netcode isn't ancient and screwy to boot. But who cares what I said to the devs like 5 years ago lol.

I believe I have video evidence to document this here @1:18 in the video. Slow it down to 0.25x and you will see that I am right on the nose of the trandoshan.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
But who cares what I said to the devs like 5 years ago lol.

Isn't that why we reduced the number of hitbox zones? You, qwerty, moo, hex, ben, and others pushed for doing that. We used to have a lot more of them. It doesn't make sense to have one hitbox over the entire body, but we already reduced the count and normalized the numbers more because of issues like that.

However, in your video, the arm is in front of the head there, and you hit the arm/hand hitbox rather than the head. Remember that the size of projectiles are not dots/lines but small boxes. Which in tight things like that can mean the small corner can hit a hitbox, but because the visual is rounder it looks less like it should. Couple that with the fact that we use a common hitbox model, that doesn't exactly match every single player model. You may think at first glance that that is an example of the hitboxes bugging but its actually them working as they intend. If we want to add some small penetration to something like projectile rifle to prevent scenarios like that happening because it would just rip through the persons arm and hit the head anyway, we can discuss something like that.

Reactions: SeV

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Isn't that why we reduced the number of hitbox zones? You, qwerty, moo, hex, ben, and others pushed for doing that. We used to have a lot more of them. It doesn't make sense to have one hitbox over the entire body, but we already reduced the count and normalized the numbers more because of issues like that.

However, in your video, the arm is in front of the head there, and you hit the arm/hand hitbox rather than the head. Remember that the size of projectiles are not dots/lines but small boxes. Which in tight things like that can mean the small corner can hit a hitbox, but because the visual is rounder it looks less like it should. Couple that with the fact that we use a common hitbox model, that doesn't exactly match every single player model. You may think at first glance that that is an example of the hitboxes bugging but its actually them working as they intend. If we want to add some small penetration to something like projectile rifle to prevent scenarios like that happening because it would just rip through the persons arm and hit the head anyway, we can discuss something like that.

That's fair enough. I just thought that it was the netcode deciding that he moved enough for the projectile to not hit his head. It often does weird stuff in duel with the hit-reg so I thought this issue must also exist in open.

there are also times where a rocket or a nade should've definately killed me, but like two or three people were in front of me and i didn't even take damage.

Sag

Internal Beta Team
I agree that headshot hitboxes definitely need to be looked at. I know I have been aiming at heads a lot of the time and it not being registered as a headshot.

Duckshark

Internal Beta Team
It would be cool if proj could collateral people and just deal the highest-damaging hitbox the projectile passed through regardless of where it hit the body first. Just popping out and double-killing some people crowded together would be hilarious to me.

Sniper Elite, anyone?

Sneaky Rogue

Internal Beta Team
US Official Server Admin
On a more serious note, I have also had instances of the proj not doing headshot damage. There have been several times where i have shot the very top of a mando's helmet and he survives. He makes a pain sound, is knocked back, and even has a bolt mark on his head but he lives. I will play around with it in an isolated server but there does seem to be something not working as intended.

Fang

Donator
it might be to do with certain guns and aiming. my example would be aiming at someone with the sniper mode. it puts their arms up to their head and maybe you're hitting the arms instead. Pen would definitely solve that though.

my assumption is some models different necks/head areas.

Last edited: