Free camera in replay

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask if there is any mod that allows you to follow in a free camera during a replay? Needed to create machinima. Thanks for the replies!

Fuse294

Internal Beta Team
Pretty sure this is done by simply spectating and recording others do the work while you record.

There used to be something that's no longer available because of legal reasons or something using it openly with MBII would require MBII to be open source which it isn't (iirc)

There's also pugmod which is a more difficult to use one, you have to set coordinates to a map file specifically for your camera angles and mess a lot with console commands. It would be an alright alternative if you can put the effort in but iirc there's no version compatible with the current version of the mod.

So you have to put something together yourself or wait for someone to make something for now.

Author reporting in,

I used jaMME in pretty much all of my videos that included both reenactments and montages. Unfortunately jaMME isn't compatible with MB2 anymore, which I find quite pity... You're left with the only alternative that's mentioned above by NERO, if you're that really tempted to create a machinima in Movie Battles 2.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Yeah the situation is far from ideal. Pug mod is buggier than ever and I am pretty sure there is no updated version of it anywhere this build.

If youre only into cinematics and dont mind if you dont get to use free camera in open games, you could just download an old mb2 build from the archives when JAMME used to work for mb2. This means you could set up a server and do cinematics with the ppl you want to make them. JAMME you can find from JKhub and instructions how to install.

Closest thing you can get in live is being the 'director'. If you disable your hud and use first person in game you can record clips that replicate jamme.

This was filmed in 1st person with the Hud disabled.

If you're going to create something with a narrative and dialogue and want conversations to look more lively, it's possible to open models in ModView, set the background to green or blue, or whatever color works for chroma key stuff in your video editor of your choice, and record close ups of the models with whatever talk animations Ravensoft actually made for the game. I haven't actually done it myself but I thought about the possibility once and it should work in theory. Finding the right animations in modview can be a bit of a pain though.

I spent my precious time on investigating whether jaMME would've worked with the older build of MB2 (namely the one that let Demo Editor do its wonders, chosen via the launcher) and what I found out, is that upon the attempt of playing a demo (recorded on the newest version of MB2) an error will be shown, as below, or the game will just simply crash.

1669691703572.png

Copy and pasting the most recent .pk3 files into the older build will not help out in this case as well. This eventually means we've lost jaMME for ever...

I can't even check if demos from the contemporary version would work because the game is keep crashing when I'm starting my own server...

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
i dont remember anymore which was the last build to have a working jamme. If I ever have the time I could look into it. But I dont see a reason why it wouldnt work. In old builds it worked like this: you download jamme from jkhub and follow instructions how to install it to mb2. You need the pk3 file from a mb2 old enough for it to work. My guess is around 1.2-1.3. At least 1.5 is too new

The oldest MB2 build I've got my hands on so far was the 1.3 build with jaMME already included in the package with MB2 installation
Everything went as I have already mentioned above. Only if I've been able to successfully host a server without prior crashing occurring...
I tried hosting a dedicated server within the same version but no positive result as far as it is concerned

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I think youre doing smth wrong but not sure what. I got old builds from times when JAMME was open for all and all of them work great

Fuck! jamme indeed does not work any longer on replays on the current version! :(
This needs to get fixed.
As in someone needs to leak a file that makes current MBII compatible with it again if there already is such, otherwise cf. above. :p

Last edited:
I spent my precious time on investigating whether jaMME would've worked with the older build of MB2 (namely the one that let Demo Editor do its wonders, chosen via the launcher) and what I found out, is that upon the attempt of playing a demo (recorded on the newest version of MB2) an error will be shown, as below, or the game will just simply crash.

View attachment 7169

Copy and pasting the most recent .pk3 files into the older build will not help out in this case as well. This eventually means we've lost jaMME for ever...
Only 1.3.0-1.3.9 works with jamme which is no longer available due to gpl issues.