[flame] Favorite map

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Watching shitstorms^Wpolite discussions about map change in mb2 chat over and over again, I wonder there is no such topic on this forums (except for this: {BG} Server | Movie Battles II Community ). So, I suggest you to talk about it.
What map is your favorite? What map you don't like? What do you think about servers map picking policy these days? Is dotf overplayed? Those and all other speculations about maps, right here!

Speaking of me, I prefer lunarbase. It's compacted, well-designed map, with funny feature to break the glass and choke people around to death. It was first map I ever play.
Also, I found new corellia worse than old one, and I miss that nobody plays raxus anymore -- it was a popular map long time ago.

Upvote 0

Phelps

Donator
@Supa Favourite map? That's probably Death Star, right?

Anyway, it's hard to say.
Cloud City was my first map ever back in B17, still is the top one, maybe just because of the sheer nostalgia. So I cast my vote there.
I also like Dotf, especially the new layout. So let's cast a vote in there too.
JT on FA is a top one. Even open. Casting it there.
Casting DS too, because I like playing it.

And eventually, I must go with Smuggler, which is not even on the list. That map is awesome. So casting a vote to other.

Not gonna go with Lunar, it used to be as overplayed as Dotf is and I did not like it that much through these years, tbh. And Kamino.. Umm, I don't know, doesn't feel right. I enjoyed Comm Tower, but that's too much votes for today.

My personal 'Good Map Criteria':
  • Overall Design - a minimum of two choke-points; properly placed, a coherent objective that is balanced regarding round length and map size.
  • Graphical Quality - aesthetics of the map; it must please mine eye:) as well as have reasonable fps. While consistency in map design is appreciated maps that have different *looks* at various and common choke-points/areas of defense/utility(hacking doors) get bonus points for diversity. Monotone maps get boring, i.e. they are monotonous.
  • Gameplay - how well the map functions based on team size and what classes it favors. It's great to have FA movie authentic maps. But they should function reasonably well in open as well.
My favorite map is Republic Cruiser at the moment. Looks great, plays well and I feel like I could squat there for hours:)

Kamino, but only when its packed with a large number of players. So number 2 when full, not even Top 5 when its a handful.
My other number two would be Echobase. Though really Hoth would take it if it was still around:)

Mustafar ranks 3rd for me. Pros - looks good, plays well, I like lava. Cons - It's disappointing you can't go lava rafting like you used to be able before. Not talking about the platform but surfing and surviving the tower break.

CC would be somewhere around the top 5. Cloud City of Old used to be fun, but its outdated. The new version of CC disappoints mainly in that most of fthe ighting takes place in the same general area. The map has so much more to offer in regards to strategies/chokepoints/scenery. Unfortunately, the obj largely remains ignored and its a tffa up in that main area. I would suggest spawning Carbonite Han with imps and removing the neutral win/loss scenario. Maybe I'm nostalgic but I'd be interested in seeing how that plays out in regards to moving the battle along.

Some other random crits:

Death Star - I don't like this version of DS in terms of gameplay. Mainly because it sucks with few people around but even then, the main area of fighting is the two catwalks. Boring and repetitive.

Jedi Temple - prefer the older versions. I loved the open hangar and really never cared for the large hall with the blue carpeting.

Corellia - 2 many boxes. Boxes everywhere! Ship hangar and tunnels are my preference. Make the entire map that!

Lunarbase - grown tired of it over the years. It'd be interesting to keep the main hangar area but completely revamp the side into a different design. Instead of a long corridor, maybe something else. Or...those stairs that lead underground where you can cut across when doors are hacked...just add another level from the get-go there.

Dotf - kill it with fire. Implement Enclave Map's Rain of Fire/Orbital bombardment(while increasing damage output) after 3 minute mark. Seriusly, do that. Make it a Christmas version, server side-option mode whatever you can switch on or off:) Make the supports holding the catwalk in place in Dotf Hangar destructible. Destroy them all, the CW falls to the ground. Killing anyone on it or below it. Hell, around it as well.

Dotf Pit - is a complete waste of time now. I don't want to say eliminate it but make it do something to justify going there...add a vent and a tunnel? Or one of those air pockets that were so often abused by Kyle and Jaden in the SP version to access special areas of the map. Better yet - Do a Kashykk! Rusty's map, he could hack the forcefield back on at the final objective to either protect it from being hacked or protect the hackee from harm.

One console to hack the doors open. Another to hack the doors closed. Two consoles to rule them all!

Comm Tower - just for the hell of it and because I'm a fan of blowing shit up: Explosive devices you can hack to blow up and kill players/damage structures. Think Tatootine' behind the bar.' Yeah, actually, put than in every map!

What i like most about dotf is the dynamic spawns. Remember how fun it is as a rebel with respawns on DS for example? Spawning way back in your base while your team is fighting over the objective,funfunfun

Spawns that move; depending on team location or what area they've unlocked; along with that, the option to choose where you'll spawn.

Spawns that move; depending on team location or what area they've unlocked; along with that, the option to choose where you'll spawn.
the problem with dynamic spawns is they aren't always triggered
yfw your last teammates are dying at throne and you spawned in hangar

my fav map is probbably theed (because underplayed, also is it a bit unbalanced or something?)
i like commtower, enclave and sdestroyer too

Cat Lady

Movie Battles II Team Retired
Republiccruiser. For me, pinnacle of what could be achieved in "living, breathing" map for MBII.

I'm surprised that Commtower is in 2nd position, yet when RTV times come no one vote for it.

My favourite maps are Commtower & DeathStar. I like how in Commtower you are not forced to take one way to go to obj, but you have three options with different gameplay. That's something other map should have.

Echo base & Jedi temple are really good maps too, even if I like more the old JT with landing pad area yet I understand why some don't like it.

I really liked the old Kamino however the new one is in my opinion (and I've heard other people saying the same) awful, half of the map is now useless and it's to easy for imp to hack obj. The only way for reb to really survive is to camp at obj which is only a corridor with no fun fighting in.

Correlia is a good map but imp, like in Lunarbase have a real advantage against rebels which can sometimes be annoying. On those maps people are more likely to join imp and team are most of the time uneven.

At last I would like to say that I miss old T-junc fight on Dotf, now it's a hard place to keep for imp and if reb come in they are more likely to win the game. Furthermore the left corridor is almost not used any more. I wonder if with the new side route and balcony, a more traditional T-junc, with throne door in front of the main corridor door, wouldn't be better.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Not gonna go with Lunar, it used to be as overplayed as Dotf is and I did not like it that much through these years, tbh.
It's strange to hear that some other map than dotf is overplayed, but since I wasn't here for years I suppose there was a such period...
Kamino, but only when its packed with a large number of players. So number 2 when full, not even Top 5 when its a handful.
I think it's ridiculously huge, dunno why we need all that space... Old version was better in my eyes.
Through maybe I just like small maps too much.
Corellia - 2 many boxes. Boxes everywhere! Ship hangar and tunnels are my preference. Make the entire map that!
Yep, boxes over 9000. Once again, I found map over-sized and old version is better.
Lunarbase - grown tired of it over the years. It'd be interesting to keep the main hangar area but completely revamp the side into a different design. Instead of a long corridor, maybe something else. Or...those stairs that lead underground where you can cut across when doors are hacked...just add another level from the get-go there.
Totally disagree. Layout seems to be perfect, big room as main path and tight corridors as side. Nothing to change, keep it simple. The only con of this map is graphics: color palette should be called 'Fifty Shades of Grey', and everything is so... so square.
Dotf Pit - is a complete waste of time now.
Maybe it is, but this is tribute to the movie. Not easy to do something with.
Lunarbase have a real advantage against rebels which can sometimes be annoying. On those maps people are more likely to join imp and team are most of the time uneven.
What? Never seen such things, used to think chances are even on Lunar Base.
Furthermore the left corridor is almost not used any more.
It used by imps in case of fast retreat from more skilled/more numbered rebs, and by jedi with speed to strike to imp backs or stealthy hack obj. Can be tricky if door of throne room is already opened from console.

dotf... it's pretty controversial, don't you think? On the one hand, it's awesome map: balanced, entertaining, eye-candy, lighted while some other maps are pretty dark etc, so people play it over and over again... But maybe a little bit too often... or not? I mean there's a lot of different maps, community pack, but it's likely only dotf and few other from my list in actual use. Seems creators spent more time for some maps designing than players spent playing it, ever. Doesn't seem fair, does it?
So it's fate: be created, released, downloaded and then forgotten?.. I don't say I behave differently: sometimes I pick server with rare map, play, but then get boring and jump to dotf/lunar... Can we call mb2 'one-map game'? :)

Phelps

Donator
It's strange to hear that some other map than dotf is overplayed, but since I wasn't here for years I suppose there was a such period...

When it wasn't DotF that was played, it was Lunar. And tbh it was like that since 24/7 DotF. If there was an admin, he would change it mostly to Lunar. The second most overplayed map in my honest opinion.

Here's what I picked on the list: (guess I don't really have a favorite map, I )
dotf: you play it so much that you can't hate it. Furthermore good fps, ok gameplay

deathstar: I recall DS as the troll map, like I had so many sessions on that map with full of trolls and idiotic gameplay that I really like it, (Cultist's youtube channel has a video where it's full of DS clips with "not normal" gameplay
) also the FA lulz with c3po and r2.

lunarbase: I just like it, although it's super hard as rebs sometimes. Special reasons: getting your opponents spaced; as imp gunner hiding behind the obj, and getting some noob jedi electrocuted as they try to reach you

comm tower: like the tunnels and that there's so many alternative ways to go, I liked the older version more where you could perfectly vaporize rebs at elevators with a well timed TD

jedi temple: the obj is unique, though sometimes I feel like I'm losing my sanity while killing all those virtual children. Also I probaby like it cause it's one of the most played map in FA, and the map grew to me.

kamino: well I shouldn't have picked this map as favorite, used to like it, but for some reasons I started to dislike it. Although its' FA is good cause any FA map with TD rockets is good in my eyes.

others: republic cruiser, I really like it's FA because of its class diversity…and the TD rockets
enclave, 3 alternative routes, and cause of the explosions
um_lavaparty: hardcore map
cmp_hotfo: cause it's full of traps, and speed wookie in FA
cmp/um_poolday/poolparty, in other words all the pool maps, cause the pools are cool and fighting in the water is something you don't get on most of the other maps
cmp_hotel: it's just amazing, 10 levels with full of stuff, although it's one of the biggest time wasting map because of its size
yavin assault: swoops, AT-ST and the other imp vehicle, turrets, those little creatures that you fight as Kyle in JO, exploding obj, THE BIRDS

Open servers may have a monotonity in maps, but on FA servers the situation is exactly the opposite. The map changes every 3-5 rounds cause there's always someone who just wants to change map cause he thinks that the current map sucks. Also in my experience this is what often happens in open too when it's not dotf, and once it gets to dotf, the rtv spam stops. However in FA the rtving just never ends sometimes (Jedi temple and DS have the best chance to stop the map changing for a time imo).