•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue Does this game allow 360 controllers?

I see there is an enable joysticks button but when I click it to turn it on all it does is make my regular mouse appear on screen.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I think base does, not sure about the mod. I wouldn't recommend it though. (Although for base, you have to manually change the controls to your joystick buttons)

I managed to get it to work however the mouse from my computer comes up whist moving when it was previously hidden. I can't work out a way to have the controller just control the game and not the normal mouse?

Is it possible to map an Xbox controller to the mb2 mod or only the Jedi academy main game? Any help would be greatly appreciated cuz I love the game but i suck at using a mouse and key board lol

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
I'm not sure there's a natural way to accomplish this. I know there's definitely support for it built into the base game (since the base game was on Xbox and retained a lot of that code in the PC releases). I also know there's been people who have played with controllers in MB2 but I'm not sure how they accomplished it.

T r i s t a n

Banned
giphy-13-1.gif

I'm not sure there's a natural way to accomplish this. I know there's definitely support for it built into the base game (since the base game was on Xbox and retained a lot of that code in the PC releases). I also know there's been people who have played with controllers in MB2 but I'm not sure how they accomplished it.

Thank you very much for the reply is there anyone that you know that uses a controller? That maybe I could get in touch with and ask how the managed to make it work? Thanks very much.

Why would you even want to do it if you wish to be at least half decent?
I knew people in SWBF2 who managed to play insanely good with a controller. It just depends on your gaming experience. My grandmother was also amazed how i managed to click on these little-bittle icons with such speed and precision.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
I'm pretty sure I met a guy in-game who said that he played (almost exclusively saberist) with his left hand using a controller (joystick instead of WASD) and his right hand using a mouse for aiming. Or maybe it was the other way around, WASD for movement, joystick for aiming? I think it was the first way.

Anyway I don't remember his name at all so this post is virtually fucking useless to you. Unless anyone needed inspiration for actually viable ways to use controllers. Cuz that guy was really good as a saberist, iirc.

I'm super dubious of it being useful at all for gunners though, because they need a lot of buttons on-hand to switch guns quickly and stuff. And for it to be viable for heavy force users, your mouse better have a lot of buttons on it.

Also I know that on one of the computer's I've played on (but not the other), I can turn on the joystick settings that are in options, and use a joystick to control my aiming. And by "a joystick" I actually mean "this weird analog paddle on the side of my mouse that my computer rationalizes as a joystick."

Certainly one way to get it sort-of working would be to use Joy2Key, but you wouldn't get any analog functionality like that.

edit: slightly bizarrely, looking at the intended in-game functionality, it's built so that moving the joystick forward or backwards moves you forward or backwards, while moving the stick left or right rotates you. So your joystick movement is limited to, like, KOTOR movement. Rotate and advance, no strafing.

edit2: Despite how the functionality is described, how it ACTUALLY works is that the joystick is used for aimng (with the Y-Axis inverted). And how I got my gamepad joystick working in Windows (10) was: I brought up the Game Controllers settings, hit "Advanced," and was presented with a question of "Select the device you want to use with older programs." Which I answered, letting me use my XBox 360 with MB2.

But the right thumbstick isn't understood as a thumbstick. The X-axis is ignored, and the Y-axis is read as buttons. The left thumbstick is used as an airplane-style inverted aiming joystick, unless you check "X/Y-axis as buttons" in which case it's basically literally joy2key, and you can map it to WASD movement if you want.

I messed with it for a while and I think left-hand-360-controller right-hand-mouse is basically viable if your mouse has a ton of buttons and you ONLY play gunner or ONLY play saberist. You can't play both, because there simply are not enough buttons in-hand to map all the force powers AND all the guns you want to have instant access to.

edit3: this messing around has made me really curious about the viability of the Steam Controller for this though, since the Steam Controller has more buttons and has mode shifting. Hell, I wonder if I could make a bunch of different class configs on the Steam Controller instead of in-game. I need to buy a SC and mess around with it.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I met a guy in-game who said that he played (almost exclusively saberist) with his left hand using a controller (joystick instead of WASD) and his right hand using a mouse for aiming. Or maybe it was the other way around, WASD for movement, joystick for aiming? I think it was the first way.

Anyway I don't remember his name at all so this post is virtually fucking useless to you. Unless anyone needed inspiration for actually viable ways to use controllers. Cuz that guy was really good as a saberist, iirc.

I'm super dubious of it being useful at all for gunners though, because they need a lot of buttons on-hand to switch guns quickly and stuff. And for it to be viable for heavy force users, your mouse better have a lot of buttons on it.

Also I know that on one of the computer's I've played on (but not the other), I can turn on the joystick settings that are in options, and use a joystick to control my aiming. And by "a joystick" I actually mean "this weird analog paddle on the side of my mouse that my computer rationalizes as a joystick."

Certainly one way to get it sort-of working would be to use Joy2Key, but you wouldn't get any analog functionality like that.

edit: slightly bizarrely, looking at the intended in-game functionality, it's built so that moving the joystick forward or backwards moves you forward or backwards, while moving the stick left or right rotates you. So your joystick movement is limited to, like, KOTOR movement. Rotate and advance, no strafing.

edit2: Despite how the functionality is described, how it ACTUALLY works is that the joystick is used for aimng (with the Y-Axis inverted). And how I got my gamepad joystick working in Windows (10) was: I brought up the Game Controllers settings, hit "Advanced," and was presented with a question of "Select the device you want to use with older programs." Which I answered, letting me use my XBox 360 with MB2.

But the right thumbstick isn't understood as a thumbstick. The X-axis is ignored, and the Y-axis is read as buttons. The left thumbstick is used as an airplane-style inverted aiming joystick, unless you check "X/Y-axis as buttons" in which case it's basically literally joy2key, and you can map it to WASD movement if you want.

I messed with it for a while and I think left-hand-360-controller right-hand-mouse is basically viable if your mouse has a ton of buttons and you ONLY play gunner or ONLY play saberist. You can't play both, because there simply are not enough buttons in-hand to map all the force powers AND all the guns you want to have instant access to.

edit3: this messing around has made me really curious about the viability of the Steam Controller for this though, since the Steam Controller has more buttons and has mode shifting. Hell, I wonder if I could make a bunch of different class configs on the Steam Controller instead of in-game. I need to buy a SC and mess around with it.

thank you for the reply. I have managed to map all controls to my xbox one controller the only issue i am having now is that when i enable my joystick my camera still thinks it is bound to the mouse. So i can map everything else including the left joystick for moving but i cant bind the camera to my right joystick on the controller. I have tried everything i can think of ive messed with all the mouse and joystick settings given to you in the options menu but im wondering if maybe there is something else i am missing?? all i need to do now is map the camera to my right joystick on the controller and everything will work. But i cant seem to find in the controls or setup menu where to do that. does anyone have any idea?? cuz once that is actually bound to the controller everything will work. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
@Keifer based on my own messing around with it, I think it just doesn't support the right joystick initially. Because it's an old game that doesn't understand the idea of dual thumbsticks. If there's "look left/right" and "look up/down" stuff in Controls though (I don't remember), then you could use Joy2Key to map the right stick to four keys, and map those four keys to those four controls.

(edit: to be clear, this would not be pleasant analog movement at all, and I think it's a terrible idea.)

Last edited: