Votes: 50 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 50 39.4%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 27 21.3%

• Total voters

Smee

Banned
Stassin, this is coming from someone who likes new DOTF, but since it's release I noticed a player drop, when with the release of 8 we should be at our peak for the year. And also those saying NO ONE like it, look at poll above.
Devs are immune to reality. We saw that with saber system being ruined, flinch, saber system being ruined again, nu-dotf etc all being hugely unpopular yet they pat themselves on the back.
Mb2 won't last another 3 years, screenshot this if you want

Flinch was good, jedi were WAY OP before that. But remember when deflecting with Cyan cost ne extra points? I played with it for 5 minutes and could tell it was incredibly OP. Devs need to stop implementing stuff with consulting the community.

Last edited:

Smee

Banned
Flinch was good, jedi were WAY OP before that. But remember when deflecting with Cyan cost ne extra points? I played with it for 5 minutes and could tell it was incredibly OP. Devs need to stop implementing stuff with consulting the community.
Agreed with your second point, it's like they don't even beta test anything anymore. Nudotf wasn't beta tested enough, as obvious by all the changes Mace is scrambling to make. And how the hell did dodge 3 make it into the game?

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Flinch was good.
Do you really believe that ? If you try arguing with some of the very vocal players who don't like it, you might realize why "devs are tyrannical and implement stuff without consulting the community" take feedback and criticism with a grain of salt with likely many more factors in mind than most people criticizing including practicality concerns; that said, feedback and criticism are essential as they will inevitably make obvious some issues and points of view that may have been overlooked, but what proportion of feedback is that, take a wild guess.
As for balancing gameplay features, as small as the dev & beta teams are, it's often an impossible task without large gameplay samples from a public release; it's not implementing stuff without consulting the community, rather it's actually consulting the community about it for a soon-to-come hotfix.

it's like they don't even beta test anything anymore
Just stop with the constant random negative assumptions when you actually have no idea what the dev team is doing and what their limits are with the time/resources they've got. Chill out, at least on this forum. Even though i'm inactive at the moment i can tell the new DOTF was tested quite a few times in beta and already had numerous fixes prior to the first release, it's obviously understandable that further such tests limited in population won't be NEARLY enough to notice all issues and public testing is needed.

H
Agreed with your second point, it's like they don't even beta test anything anymore. Nudotf wasn't beta tested enough, as obvious by all the changes Mace is scrambling to make. And how the hell did dodge 3 make it into the game?
Help instead of just saying it's dying ;-;
The game isn't in total shit condition, and if you make a effort to help fix what you see wrong, it would help. Ofc my opinion doesn't matter much.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Stassin, this is coming from someone who likes new DOTF, but since it's release I noticed a player drop, when with the release of 8 we should be at our peak for the year. And also those saying NO ONE like it, look at poll above.

When I last checked the counter at peak time there were over 180 people playing. That is definitely above average for the year. And that was checked within the last few days.

Your poll also was made before the most recent changes and some people could have changed their opinion as a result.

Nudotf wasn't beta tested enough, as obvious by all the changes Mace is scrambling to make. And how the hell did dodge 3 make it into the game?

Yes that is why this map was in beta testing for 8 years. Being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole is just going to get you ignored by developers.

Last edited:
Do you really believe that ?
I really do believe flinch is good. Jedi were so OP before it wasn't even funny. The other team would just go all jedi and they would win every time. Even a horrible player was bound to take at least a couple people with them by just swinging at everything like a maniac. And I appreciate your guys work, I really do, but you should have community discussions on stuff more often. Not hating on you guys, just constructive criticism.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I really do, but you should have community discussions on stuff more often. Not hating on you guys, just constructive criticism.

It is hard to have community discussions on features that the players themselves haven't touched yet. Doing open betas is currently really complicated for us but we are working on making it much easier and just being a drop down in the launcher while running them more on a scheduled basis. Until then though, discussions for upcoming features in general are pretty hard because something can look completely different on paper than it actually plays.

We have done some focused feedback in the past but that is usually months or years after something has been in the game once people have had time to fully adjust to it.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
42% isn't most people

"Most: in the greatest quantity, amount, measure, degree, or number:"

The largest subset of players voted yes, and voted yes prior to most recent changes that were for the better. He used the word correctly. You're thinking of the word majority.

8 years? And yet you still have to remove the better map so people test it?
What were you doing?

Here ladies and gentlemen is someone who doesn't understand how numbers change things. Beta test sessions for the most part involve less than 10 people. Generally we cannot test the entire level as if it was a full or mostly full server. Having more people completely changes how levels handle. Period. Not only that but with beta tests sessions are much more limited. There may be 1-3 sessions a week at max, or sometimes 2-3 weeks between a test. Every single game in existence has this problem and it isn't isolated to us. Game developers are on record saying something similar to this: We have tested our releases for hundreds of man hours but in the first hour after launch the community has already played more hours of something than we have tested. The same can be said here and numbers matter a lot. No matter how much we test, in a very short time period the community will always surpass it and as a result new issues and things will come up that were never seen in a QA session. I can't find the actual quote right now but its pretty similar.

Anyone who says otherwise is simply ignorant of how game development, or any software development for that matter, works.

Last edited:

Smee

Banned
Anyone who says otherwise is simply ignorant of how game development, or any software development for that matter, works.
Ah yes, but if you put a terrible map in a game that most people don't like (and most in the way its actually meant to be used as in more than 50%. Dividing the vote into "subsets" is fake news when its clear that "not decided" means do not like by the nature of the words "not decided") then you are a wizard of game development.
Good job!

Bring back pit, if people really want cat back maybe it could be placed somewhere else? Dunno, the new map looks fine imo (especially the brightened gen room )

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd

So many things are wrong with this. The only 'correct' thing you nailed was that the Cyan/Purple open mode perks that were randomly added in... (what was it, 1.4.2?) were extremely overpowered, yes.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
The fact so many people are undecided tells me the map isn't that much better than old one.
I would just be patient and let the map sink in, adjust and see what we could further improve upon. The new DOTF feels like a step in the right direction to me. We might not get there in one go with something this drastic, but it'll surely inch its way towards perfection.

My own personal note is that the capture point area could perhaps be expanded to contain more than just the center of the Throne. This could make the objective easier to defend while not going too drastic on the changes.

The freshest part about this map is that it does not have the stark defenders' advantage that most maps have had. Albeit attackers have the advantage right now, this might adjust as time progresses, meta settles and the map is further iterated.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
My own personal note is that the capture point area could perhaps be expanded to contain more than just the center of the Throne. This could make the objective easier to defend while not going too drastic on the changes.

This is definitely something I want to try but it involves me restructuring the entirety of the throne room and foyer area. Not a fast change.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
This is definitely something I want to try but it involves me restructuring the entirety of the throne room and foyer area. Not a fast change.
I meant simply expanding the circle to encompass more of the existing layout. It might not necessarily mean too much extra.

This would allow a lone defender more of a shot at holding as he can run around cover and stall the capture.

See green circle for reference:

IayhZX2.png

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I meant simply expanding the circle to encompass more of the existing layout. It might not necessarily mean too much extra.

I am aware of what you're speaking of but that method is a bandaid style fix that we could do in the mean time and reConfigured suggested it last week or so as well. However to do it properly I believe that the central area of the throne room needs to be decreased slightly to remove some of the open space and making cover more prominent. Doing this would also bring the outer pillars inwards slightly to make them more prominent cover which involves modifying the central pillars of foyer and the side doors as well. After modifying the pillars we would bring the raised area outwards to add extra emphasis to the border of the capture area. You really want to be careful about making it as big as it would be without modifying the throne area. That is just way too big.