•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

[SOLVED] Difference between JAMP and MBII clients?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, i just joined MB thanks to the steam sale on SW games.
I am using the steam version of JA, and i have 2 ways to play MBII - One is through the MBII client in the launcher and the other is through steam with JAMP.EXE. the weird thing is, i notice a difference between the two clients. i have other settings in MB client and i might imagine but the server list is a bit different. Does it matter which client i use? because MBII seems to have more options in the menu but if i want to run through steam its with JAMP.EXE.

Also, how can i be sure that i see all possible servers? there aren't any of them. Does OpenJK change anything?

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
MBII client is an older build of OpenJK. The differences between JAMP and OpenJK are minor except in a few instances - some computers (related to the graphics card) will work better with one or the other. OpenJK and JAMP also save configuration information in different places. I can think of a few reasons for the server list issue but am not 100% sure.

You can find a game independent server list here: Movie Battles II Server List

LoU

R2D2
Serverlist for JAMP and OpenJK are the same. More reliable list always will be within OpenJK since it's connect directly to our master server.
If you want to play with OpenJK using old config (from JAMP) then open console (SHIFT key + ` tilde) and type: /exec jampconfig.

i think i opened it with JAMP and not OpenJK because when i run the mod through OpenJK exe the server list is empty

edit:
Ok so i open the openjk.exe and go to settings to load MB mod. Now i dont have the changelog and news in the main menu but i do get a server list, which is not as full as the web browser list.
Also, the game runs bad compared to MBII client and crashes often (mostly changing settings)

Before i look for a fix i want to know if there is even a reason to bother or i can just use MBII client and not miss on anything? also, is the in-game serverlist supposed to be the same as the web browser one?

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
If you are noticing performance issues with OpenJK then I would simply recommend using JAMP.

Helix

MBII is not supposed to be run via Options -> Mods
You should use mbii.x86.exe, not openjk
Open Launcher - on bottom left Settings - Run game With:MBII Client. Click play.
Ingame serverlist isn't the same as webbrowser, because webbrowser also shows the outdated servers, they still send info to web list.

MBII is not supposed to be run via Options -> Mods
You should use mbii.x86.exe, not openjk
Open Launcher - on bottom left Settings - Run game With:MBII Client. Click play.
Ingame serverlist isn't the same as webbrowser, because webbrowser also shows the outdated servers, they still send info to web list.

I did play using that method with the launcher, i did not realize that MBII client is just an older openjk.
Thanks for the help guys, i don't have any more questions so the thread can be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.