Devs watch this

Lervish

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Thanks for the link! It's a cool YouTuber. The stream's also a very useful reminder how badly our first time UX sucks.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Yea, I see a lot in there we've talked about internally. When I have the time i'll literally sit down with a pen and paper and note everything he found less than intuitive. Our new player experience isn't great maybe theres some low hanging fruit we can get sooner rather than later.

Hexodious

Movie Battles II Team
I was in this stream trying to help and its highlighted some things I've brought up internally.

Newb perspective is interesting to see, this reminded me of a complaining video I saw once before:
Might wanna check this out as well, it's only 16-17 mins, not 3 hours, though it's less about gameplay and more about complaining about the people and the community.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Newb perspective is interesting to see, this reminded me of a complaining video I saw once before:
Might wanna check this out as well, it's only 16-17 mins, not 3 hours, though it's less about gameplay and more about complaining about the people and the community.

I have sympathy for that guy, but this is less clear cut from a gameplay point of view I think. A lot of what he's complaining about is down to server admins - cant design around that. Other places, for instance where he's talking about being pushed over and easily killed as a soldier get less sympathy from me. He understands if you run you can be pushed over, if you don't run you cant, but doesn't make the logical leap to 'If running away kills me, I should do something else'. It's literally the old joke about the person who goes to the doctor complaining 'It hurts when I do this'. We could probably present the basics in a better way, but the hand holding has to stop at some point and players have to learn for themselves.

So his review is the game is great but hes bad at it so he gives it a negative 10 score, he will be a sincere loss to the community .

Lervish

Donator
Let's not be harsh here, MB2 is a very hard game to pick up. Everything fights against your survival as a noob. There are no indicators that tell you to go bind crucial abilities like reload or class specials. There's nothing that tells you how to join the game in the first place. There's nothing that tells you that there's friendly fire. The lack of guidance makes you gimp yourself quite severely from the get go, and then you're facing veterans with 15 000 hours of playtime. Can you really blame the newcomer for not wanting to play the game after a shit first time experience?

Of course the difficulty of MB2 is a big part of the satisfaction it brings to us all, and of course many of the features to be learned are just a matter of trial and error. In the end everything is. But whether or not we can afford forcing players to go through that trial and error is a question. Personally I think the first launch UX needs severe changing, in order to expand the playerbase.

Let's not be harsh here, MB2 is a very hard game to pick up. Everything fights against your survival as a noob. There are no indicators that tell you to go bind crucial abilities like reload or class specials. There's nothing that tells you how to join the game in the first place. There's nothing that tells you that there's friendly fire. The lack of guidance makes you gimp yourself quite severely from the get go, and then you're facing veterans with 15 000 hours of playtime. Can you really blame the newcomer for not wanting to play the game after a shit first time experience?

Of course the difficulty of MB2 is a big part of the satisfaction it brings to us all, and of course many of the features to be learned are just a matter of trial and error. In the end everything is. But whether or not we can afford forcing players to go through that trial and error is a question. Personally I think the first launch UX needs severe changing, in order to expand the playerbase.

I mean a tutorial would solve a lot of those issues but who has the time and skills to program this?

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I mean a tutorial would solve a lot of those issues but who has the time and skills to program this?

I would be willing to stay on after dotf to do the map for this and some of the entity/scripting requirements. There is quite a bit that would have to be done code side though. Switching classes on the fly or starting as a specific class without having to go through spectator join menu and whatnot only in the tutorial levels. In addition to the little "Do the tutorial!!" popup on first launch of each build.

eezstreet

A tutorial isn't even really necessary. Just make it obvious which class special button goes to what (on the HUD) and show the keybind that the player has for it. Also, clearly explain what each ability on the class customization panel does to a better extent than what it does now. Push and Pull don't even explain that the target has to be running in order for them to be knocked down. You can make this information display (along with loading screen tips and whatever else) disableable as part of "advanced help", which is what most other games do.

Ideally you'd have a "general" display for the class configuration line, and a "rank" display. "General" giving a general blurb about what the skill does, much like what the tooltip currently says, and "Rank" displaying what your current rank in that skill does. So for instance, if you clicked on Clonetrooper Rifle last, it would say, at rank 2:

Clonetrooper Rifle

Acquire a clonetrooper rifle and upgrade it.

Rank 2 - The rifle fires (%%) faster and uses (%%) less ammunition with each shot.

And, at rank 3:

Clonetrooper Rifle

Acquire a clonetrooper rifle and upgrade it.

Rank 3 - The clonetrooper rifle is now a Clonetrooper Assault Minigun, firing (%%) faster.

The exact numbers (what I've marked in %%) can be pulled directly from data files, making balancing quicker and easier and making this much less painful to work with than the library, which should be retired in favor of a wiki anyway in my opinion.

Whatever happened to the old wiki, when I was new, I learned a lot from there and it was really useful. Even without the wiki a lot of new guides were made in the recent few years, I would argue that there's lot more helpful guides/videos out there today than let's say 5 years ago. The determined and capable newbs can learn everything important pretty quickly.

Another issue is that many new players nowadays are people who never played base JKA (nor Jedi Outcast). It's hard enough to get into mb2 with JKA experience, I can only imagine what it's like to start right off with mb2. I think most guides are appropriate for those who have prior JK experience. For people who have 0 saber control, it's absolutely unnecessary for them to learn about PB, ACM, disarm and style perks, often they can't even hit a standing target with their saber so how can they realistically expect to hit moving targets (yet they expect themselves to kill people), they don't know basic stuff that WASD direction defines their attacks, when will they spin etc., essentially stuff that's basic knowledge for JKA players. Maybe the basic special move list from the singleplayer could be transferred into mb2, the list on how to do: roll stab, grab wall, wallruns, DFAs, attack enemy on the ground etc..

Anyway the game is so vast with many tiny details, perfectly documenting everything may be impossible. The guides and debates here are always about open and duel, and I just want to remind everyone that we have a 3rd mode (although rarely played nowadays), FA. The playerbase's knowledge about FA is very low (also low about map layouts other than DOTF/DS/Lunar), FA has so many extra features and tricks that you can pull that new players (and even olders) have no idea about. Basically you have to learn every map there (not talking about the layout). Often I'm surprised that even players with years under their belt fall for easy tricks that only work on the ignorant, when they happen to play FA for once. Perhaps FA is the most newb friendly cause even the veterans don't know everything about it :D , and also because every map has stronger and weaker classes, even a newb with the strongest class can take down experienced players with weaker classes.