Dev Diary - Manaan

iwCSA26.png

Manaan: Ahto City Uprising

Manaan is a new level based on the iconic location, 'Ahto City' from Knight of the Old Republic.

The initial goal was to create a large map for a high population, with both teams having their own objectives. This would allow them to choose between attack or defense, making the gameplay more dynamic.

The map was started almost two years ago and has undergone many changes along the way. The original layout closely resembled the version in KotOR, but this design posed serious challenges from a gameplay perspective.

A few months later, @FrenzY joined the project and contributed new ideas to create a layout that would align with MB2 standards.
The main change was the merging of the two parts of Ahto City into one central area. This way, players can progress by fighting on the ground or on the arches.

BpIhH9X.jpg

34GtCjg.jpg

From @FrenzY :
The general idea of the objective and layout came from looking at the KOTOR version and trying to find ways to consolidate the routes around areas which won't feel like heavy chokepoints. Initially the map was far too large, we were forced to to cut off the hangar side in order to keep the gameplay in one half. The idea for both teams getting a chance to complete the objective makes the map a bit more interesting and also naturally moves players around to certain hotspost of the map in order to do so. Rebels still have the advantage in that they win on time, but defending the Kolto will be no easy task.

The goal of the layout was to try to connect the map together as much as possible while also avoiding 'dead areas' or major chokepoints as much as possible. After doing secondary, it is a race to get to the hangar and do obj. This should provide a unique and dynamic objective experience.

The FA lore:
After Darth Malak's defeat and the destruction of the Star Forge, a group of Force-sensitive Selkath led by Shasa initiated an uprising against the remaining Sith forces in Ahto City.
map.png

The Objectives :
The Sith team starts at their Embassy, with their first objective being to destroy 3 Kolto supplies spread across the map.
knUFAbY.jpg

I1jZnlJ.jpg

8oXhgs7.jpg

qiXgQgQ.jpg

The Selkath team starts near the Hotel and must capture 2 areas (Ahto West and Ahto Center).

oOKq9GC.jpg

GoncHzQ.jpg

hwt0eaj.jpg

Regardless of which team completes its first objective, the outcome remains the same: it unlocks the doors leading to the Sith Hangar.
Once the doors are opened, both teams must head to the Hangar to complete their final objective.

vXtYZxg.jpg

rzLVvL9.jpg

FCM3XGA.jpg

The Sith team's final objective is to start their ship up and defend it as it takes off. The Selkath team's objective is to either destroy the ship or hack a console near the ship to lock the hangar and prevent the Sith from escaping.

hWvJciZ.jpg

Conclusion:
We are very excited to hear your feedback and play it with you all very soon. Please keep in mind that the lighting is not final and is currently being improved.

Ahto City is the first Manaan map in Movie Battles 2, but the planet still holds many secrets for you to discover. Darker secrets lie beneath the ocean, to be revealed later this year.

You forgot to mention how good the musik is! I really like the multi objective, it fits the large map well.

Sir.Muis

Internal Beta Team
Damn we made a great trailer! Love the results!
Can't wait to play it with you all!:huehuehue:

Fang

Donator
I like that this map was focused on making sure chokepoints become less common. Looks great too.

My biggest gripe is (Though perhaps I'm not reading well?)

"Regardless of which team completes its first objective, the outcome remains the same: it unlocks the doors leading to the Sith Hangar.
Once the doors are opened, both teams must head to the Hangar to complete their final objective."

What's the incentive for a team to not just camp and let them do the obj so that they can immediately take the hangar?
Doesn't that make the first objectives seem redundant? Please tell me its not a draw based scenario.

Never mind, I see that Rebs win on time regardless. W for rebs getting a map that favors them for time. I'm interested to see how the push-pull and retreat/push to the hangar goes. It's a big shake-up from the usual hold w to 1 obj

Last edited:
if rebs win on time and the final obj is deny the hangar, wouldn't that make the capture points obsolete?

FrenzY

Chaos Connoisseur
Movie Battles II Team
if rebs win on time and the final obj is deny the hangar, wouldn't that make the capture points obsolete?
The secondary obj is what opens the doors to the hangar. The advantage of completing obj is more of a positional one. I did have a few ideas for ways to make the secondary OBJ matter a bit more (like something slowing down the team which lost the secondary in some way or form), but that concept had a few issues and got scrapped... for now.