Custom time limit for MB2

Do you think MB2 should have no time limit be added to the game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are at a time in MB2's lifespan where we can make or break MB2. I've only been playing MB2 for 3 years but I haven't stopped loving it until just recently when the removed cc2 for sold but that hasn't stop me from playing this amazing game.If we let MB2 die then we've lost 14 years of greatness.
Edit: Give server owners the ability to add no time limit to there servers

Last edited:

AaronAaron

Donator
Server owners should be able to change the time limit for their servers imo. I believe there should be a time limit, but we should have more freedom.

But if you were to remove the time limit, you should only do it for duel mode.

Last edited:
I really don't get it... can you imagine games like counter strike without time limit ? MB2 is a round based game, and you want the rounds to last forever... ? That would mean changing the game ENTIRELY, with respawns for all the classes ! I know there are already thread talking about it , and i didn't read all of them, but on the poll you should have at least said WHY you want MB2 to remove its time limit . I can only see it being interesting for duels server , and i'm already against duel server for anything other than training because for me, MB2 is a class based game, where gunners and saberist fight side by side, not "saber simulator"

Penekowski

Armchair Developer
Movie Battles II Team
I'll go with yes but open mode should remain untouched, the timer should remain there and a non time limit should be added as a new gamemode, which could be made compatible with duel mode only, as removing timelimit on open mode could cause many technical issues (As far as I know)

You should've given more options to the poll because while I'd like to get the time limit removed, I wouldn't like to play open mode without time limit, but I'd love to play like a free roam sort of mode, kinda like a free for all/deathmatch where ppl can explore maps or do whatever they want without worrying about limited respawns and timers.

this isn't just a yes/no question, you shoulda put more thought into the poll
there should be no time limit for duel mode as it's silly, but open should stay the same

edit: actually i didn't put much thought into my own post either
duel mode should have adjustable time limits and lives imo, 5 minute rounds with 6 lives is what's silly to me
sure it works but it's silly

Last edited:

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
I really don't get it... can you imagine games like counter strike without time limit ? MB2 is a round based game, and you want the rounds to last forever... ? That would mean changing the game ENTIRELY, with respawns for all the classes ! I know there are already thread talking about it , and i didn't read all of them, but on the poll you should have at least said WHY you want MB2 to remove its time limit . I can only see it being interesting for duels server , and i'm already against duel server for anything other than training because for me, MB2 is a class based game, where gunners and saberist fight side by side, not "saber simulator"

The funny thing is that in counter strike you can adjust the time limit yourself with a server cvar. They didn't lock it to the competitive MM timer. Things like bomb timer can also be changed. On community servers you can have different round times than in competitive 5v5 matches, because having a short timer on a 15 vs 15 clusterfuck isn't viable.

The arguments against adding this option are all completely daft except for a single one, which is that it would require man power that is currently not available. Even then it just sounds like an excuse to me. It's not about removing time limit absolutely, but having the option so if you want a fun server, or want to play offline you can set the time limit to 60 minutes and not have to round restart all the time. This would be especially good for duel servers, where your duels routinely get interrupted by the 5 min time limit, which in the context of revamped duel mode makes no sense at all.

Not to sound offensive or anything, but everyone that votes no to this poll haven't a clue what they're talking about. Get angry if you want, but that's my opinion.

the poll isn't "should we make servers able to change the time limit", it's "do you think MB2 should have no time limit added to the game", i voted no to that and i stand by it.
And again, there's a difference between just longer rounds (where you'd have to wait longer if you just joined or died) and making MB2 a game where everyone respawns all the time ! you'd have to changea lot more than just a server setting !
and playing offline ? To MB2 ? that's just silly ! (unless you want to mess around with people on LAN, i guess...)

Last edited:
I see that I should've added different options to the vote but it won't let me remove the Yes and No option so I will just add a third option

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
The funny thing is that in counter strike you can adjust the time limit yourself with a server cvar. They didn't lock it to the competitive MM timer. Things like bomb timer can also be changed. On community servers you can have different round times than in competitive 5v5 matches, because having a short timer on a 15 vs 15 clusterfuck isn't viable.

There is also separate reasons they can do this. As you mention yourself, when doing normal competitive matches everything is locked to a standard. CSGO sees millions of unique players a day so a small group of people going off to do their own thing in a custom (usually more locked down to outsiders) manner for their own events and purposes, is much more viable and less harmful to the community. You can't necessarily apply the same logic to MB2 because the player base is massively smaller.

Not to sound offensive or anything, but everyone that votes no to this poll haven't a clue what they're talking about. Get angry if you want, but that's my opinion.

Now, you wouldn't even hear this from me. I completely and utterly understand why people want the timelimit removed in MB2. I completely understand their reasoning for it. I would have loved to see JKG get to MB2 level of gameplay while having a vast massive world. Making JKG levels was far less stressful and involved than making levels for MB2 and as a result was much more fun to do as it allowed me so much more freedom of choice. To this day I would love to work on a JKG like project again, but it usually is so much work to start something so big from scratch and is why I switched entirely back to MB2. There is a reason several levels that I made to this day remain JKG-only and have never been ported to MB2. Those levels were never made with mb2s gameplay in mind and things are not interchangeable.

Saying the other arguments are daft, and those people don't have a clue what they're talking about shows that one is unwilling to even consider the other sides argument and has put themselves into an echo chamber.

RenegadeOfPhunk set up a bunch of rules before many of us even started playing MB2. Some of which were an asymmetrical class based structure with the ability to select your builds off of a set number of points, others were things like objective based match making, multiplayer team based combat, last man standing, and even the time limit. These were all set and decided on a long time ago and everything has been built, and balanced, around those ideas for 15 years. He set those constraints for us and we have done nothing but follow them. If he wanted the freedom for people to play MB style with unlimited lives, zero time, ffa style, he probably would have done it while he still worked on Movie Battles.

I have only strived to maintain the ruleset put forth by those before me. The timelimit lock was there before I even joined the team. I will continue to do so because I believe it is a fundamental part of the Movie Battles identity. I have fought on the angle of design rather than technical or resource limitations because both of those can change with time. Someone can come along and fix all of the technical limitations, and other people can join to fix the resource limitations. I however believe continuing to follow MB2s design goals set forth by RenegadeOfPhunk 15 years ago for any new gamemode that we create is far more important for development time than focusing on redoing anything to handle unlimited time.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
There is also separate reasons they can do this. As you mention yourself, when doing normal competitive matches everything is locked to a standard. CSGO sees millions of unique players a day so a small group of people going off to do their own thing in a custom (usually more locked down to outsiders) manner for their own events and purposes, is much more viable and less harmful to the community. You can't necessarily apply the same logic to MB2 because the player base is massively smaller.

Now, you wouldn't even hear this from me. I completely and utterly understand why people want the timelimit removed in MB2. I completely understand their reasoning for it. I would have loved to see JKG get to MB2 level of gameplay while having a vast massive world. Making JKG levels was far less stressful and involved than making levels for MB2 and as a result was much more fun to do as it allowed me so much more freedom of choice. To this day I would love to work on a JKG like project again, but it usually is so much work to start something so big from scratch and is why I switched entirely back to MB2. There is a reason several levels that I made to this day remain JKG-only and have never been ported to MB2. Those levels were never made with mb2s gameplay in mind and things are not interchangeable.

Saying the other arguments are daft, and those people don't have a clue what they're talking about shows that one is unwilling to even consider the other sides argument and has put themselves into an echo chamber.

RenegadeOfPhunk set up a bunch of rules before many of us even started playing MB2. Some of which were an asymmetrical class based structure with the ability to select your builds off of a set number of points, others were things like objective based match making, multiplayer team based combat, last man standing, and even the time limit. These were all set and decided on a long time ago and everything has been built, and balanced, around those ideas for 15 years. He set those constraints for us and we have done nothing but follow them. If he wanted the freedom for people to play MB style with unlimited lives, zero time, ffa style, he probably would have done it while he still worked on Movie Battles.

I have only strived to maintain the ruleset put forth by those before me. The timelimit lock was there before I even joined the team. I will continue to do so because I believe it is a fundamental part of the Movie Battles identity. I have fought on the angle of design rather than technical or resource limitations because both of those can change with time. Someone can come along and fix all of the technical limitations, and other people can join to fix the resource limitations. I however believe continuing to follow MB2s design goals set forth by RenegadeOfPhunk 15 years ago for any new gamemode that we create is far more important for development time than focusing on redoing anything to handle unlimited time.

Yeah. I pretty much got all of that already. And good on you. But I am asking you, why can't we have both things? The game didn't die in b17,b18 or b19 did it? Yet those were the builds I played with no time limit and freedom to roleplay. There were lots of people online, it didn't fracture the community. Servers were still 5 minutes and did not deviate from the competitive-style format of old. There was just this extra, juicy bit on the side with custom FA classes, taking advantage of force powers like destruction and blind and custom maps for fun and epic gameplay with no time limits and just having fun.

Can you honestly answer me why this change was made if 100 percent of the open mode servers ran the same settings pre hardcoded timelimit as they did post-hardcoded time limit? The only affected party was the roleplayers who took advantage of custom classfiles to fuck around and have fun on the weekends but also played plenty of normal MBII and duels. What reason is there to hard-code a timer if all servers already play at 5 minutes? Only reason seems to be RP-hate, since the servers were following the format pre-hardcoded timer. This is why I am having a hard time believing in and getting behind any argument against the timer being unlocked.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Yeah. I pretty much got all of that already. And good on you. But I am asking you, why can't we have both things? The game didn't die in b17,b18 or b19 did it? Yet those were the builds I played with no time limit and freedom to roleplay. There were lots of people online, it didn't fracture the community. Servers were still 5 minutes and did not deviate from the competitive-style format of old. There was just this extra, juicy bit on the side with custom FA classes, taking advantage of force powers like destruction and blind and custom maps for fun and epic gameplay with no time limits and just having fun.

Can you honestly answer me why this change was made if 100 percent of the open mode servers ran the same settings pre hardcoded timelimit as they did post-hardcoded time limit? The only affected party was the roleplayers who took advantage of custom classfiles to F**k around and have fun on the weekends but also played plenty of normal MBII and duels. What reason is there to hard-code a timer if all servers already play at 5 minutes? Only reason seems to be RP-hate, since the servers were following the format pre-hardcoded timer. This is why I am having a hard time believing in and getting behind any argument against the timer being unlocked.

No it didn't die in those time periods, but as I was made aware after I joined when the team wanted to re-hardcode the timelimit (I was not there the first time this happened), it was far more than just RP related reasoning. I am not going to say RP was not one of the reasons because that would be untrue but it seriously only got a couple minutes of discussion over the other reasons and the only reason it did was because I was curious to the reasons RP wasn't liked and asked why. I was the ignorant newb at the time and had nothing to do with it. I have already addressed the other reasons for it several times and I am guessing there is plenty that I even I forget. Yes ridiculous FA classes can be fun, but I would be fooling myself if I believed that you couldn't have that same amount of fun with a time limit.

The only affected party wasn't RPers. Anyone who created the modded packs (Umad, Powerbattles, CMP style stuff) was affected as well as an example. I do remember joining servers that weren't RP with various modded server values way back then and when I was 13-14 it made a mod I was unfamiliar with at the time fairly confusing having different point values, FA stuff that varied, etc. We, the dev team, was also restricted with how we did things in the future (Hello MGMP). The team chose to standardize some of those values and restrict them into the range they thought was appropriate. Yes the majority of servers stayed with the standard point limit, time limit, etc but it wasn't an "only RP servers modified things" or a "competitive servers were always standard" kind of thing. I never even intentionally went onto an MB2 RP server until RC1 (I had played RP in JA+, Lugormod before that) and I still ran into modified servers plenty before that.

So no, the main reason wasn't RP. It was a a contributing factor but the team made a decision to standardize the value because they believed consistency and following those design goals was far more important. There were even discussions over the years about removing FA and just focusing on open mode for some of those reasons as well. Not because any one of us hates FA, hates the freedom it gives us, but because its difficult to maintain and is completely different from the base mode. Chose your class on one of those levels can be a pain as you have to search descriptions, which sometimes aren't even correct, might not get the class you want because of class limits, etc. When you are making a game, especially with a limited team, you want to focus on creating things with a specific rule set so that you don't stretch yourself too thin. You also want that ruleset for consistency in the game, balancing reasons, level design reasons, etc. Just because it SEEMs like something was targeted at RP, doesn't mean it was. Again, not denying that it was a contributing factor, but was far from being the only reason. I only know of maybe 2 people that have been a part of the MB team that might have a hate for RP, while the rest have maintained the position that maintaining the timelimit restrictions is not only important for gameplay reasons (Spag, Ben, Tempest,and I all mentioned gameplay reasons in part of their posts) as well as technical and resource restrictions from the team (mentioned by Viserys, Ben, Tempest, Myself).

Blinding yourself outside ideas because something feels like it is under attack because that is the primary subject people bring up when mentioning removing the timelimit is of course going to make you feel like RP is the sole reason. It is the topic that is brought up every time, and is usually brought up before I even post in the thread. So of course people are going to address RP. No one bothers to mention the restrictions we put on FA creators or our own internal level design as well with this (until your post above). I had to change the original RC and Kashyyyks layouts simply because they were too large to fit within the 5 minute limit, the same thing happened with the original JT. It was built too large and had to be redone to stay within the standardized parameters. RP players were far from the only ones impacted by the decision, they were not targeted by it at all. You can even see that over time our goal with several level design related things changed to encompass smaller levels (Changes made to DOTF for V2, Smuggler, etc) and it is even my goal to do more work on that front for EC to make things flow better, less time at the beginning of the round for you to enter the fight, etc. Those level design changes for EC may affect the overall time limit to the point we lower the high end from the currently set 6 minutes to say 4 minutes. As you know now that time wasting is a problem and that sometimes the 5 minute timer can be too long at the end of a match and I have modified DOTFv2 and other levels in the past to help alleviate that problem.

There were a lot of things considered when implementing the time limit when I joined, and isn't as simple as "fuck RP" and never will be. Discounting decisions made for the benefit of gameplay because you don't agree with them is stupid because I had to do a ton of work to stay within my bounds of the gameplay rules as well. If I went "Fuck the rules. FREEDOM!" my levels in MB2 would be vastly different from what they are today, and actually probably for the worse. That isn't saying my levels are perfect because they aren't and that is why I am redoing almost all of them for EC but I can't just go outside the rules the others set for me and I set for myself. There are plenty of articles about restricting yourself game design wise and how that is beneficial to what you are creating.

I, for the longest time, fought for the launcher so that people had an easy way of downloading the additional packs the community made so that the community wouldn't even be fragmented with CMP maps.

Last edited:

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
No it didn't die in those time periods, but as I was made aware after I joined when the team wanted to re-hardcode the timelimit (I was not there the first time this happened), it was far more than just RP related reasoning. I am not going to say RP was not one of the reasons because that would be untrue but it seriously only got a couple minutes of discussion over the other reasons and the only reason it did was because I was curious to the reasons RP wasn't liked and asked why. I was the ignorant newb at the time and had nothing to do with it. I have already addressed the other reasons for it several times and I am guessing there is plenty that I even I forget. Yes ridiculous FA classes can be fun, but I would be fooling myself if I believed that you couldn't have that same amount of fun with a time limit.

The only affected party wasn't RPers. Anyone who created the modded packs (Umad, Powerbattles, CMP style stuff) was affected as well as an example. I do remember joining servers that weren't RP with various modded server values way back then and when I was 13-14 it made a mod I was unfamiliar with at the time fairly confusing having different point values, FA stuff that varied, etc. We, the dev team, was also restricted with how we did things in the future (Hello MGMP). The team chose to standardize some of those values and restrict them into the range they thought was appropriate. Yes the majority of servers stayed with the standard point limit, time limit, etc but it wasn't an "only RP servers modified things" or a "competitive servers were always standard" kind of thing. I never even intentionally went onto an MB2 RP server until RC1 (I had played RP in JA+, Lugormod before that) and I still ran into modified servers plenty before that.

So no, the main reason wasn't RP. It was a a contributing factor but the team made a decision to standardize the value because they believed consistency and following those design goals was far more important. There were even discussions over the years about removing FA and just focusing on open mode for some of those reasons as well. Not because any one of us hates FA, hates the freedom it gives us, but because its difficult to maintain and is completely different from the base mode. Chose your class on one of those levels can be a pain as you have to search descriptions, which sometimes aren't even correct, might not get the class you want because of class limits, etc. When you are making a game, especially with a limited team, you want to focus on creating things with a specific rule set so that you don't stretch yourself too thin. You also want that ruleset for consistency in the game, balancing reasons, level design reasons, etc. Just because it SEEMs like something was targeted at RP, doesn't mean it was. Again, not denying that it was a contributing factor, but was far from being the only reason. I only know of maybe 2 people that have been a part of the MB team that might have a hate for RP, while the rest have maintained the position that maintaining the timelimit restrictions is not only important for gameplay reasons (Spag, Ben, Tempest,and I all mentioned gameplay reasons in part of their posts) as well as technical and resource restrictions from the team (mentioned by Viserys, Ben, Tempest, Myself).

Blinding yourself outside ideas because something feels like it is under attack because that is the primary subject people bring up when mentioning removing the timelimit is of course going to make you feel like RP is the sole reason. It is the topic that is brought up every time, and is usually brought up before I even post in the thread. So of course people are going to address RP. No one bothers to mention the restrictions we put on FA creators or our own internal level design as well with this (until your post above). I had to change the original RC and Kashyyyks layouts simply because they were too large to fit within the 5 minute limit, the same thing happened with the original JT. It was built too large and had to be redone to stay within the standardized parameters. RP players were far from the only ones impacted by the decision, they were not targeted by it at all. You can even see that over time our goal with several level design related things changed to encompass smaller levels (Changes made to DOTF for V2, Smuggler, etc) and it is even my goal to do more work on that front for EC to make things flow better, less time at the beginning of the round for you to enter the fight, etc. Those level design changes for EC may affect the overall time limit to the point we lower the high end from the currently set 6 minutes to say 4 minutes. As you know now that time wasting is a problem and that sometimes the 5 minute timer can be too long at the end of a match and I have modified DOTFv2 and other levels in the past to help alleviate that problem.

There were a lot of things considered when implementing the time limit when I joined, and isn't as simple as "F**k RP" and never will be. Discounting decisions made for the benefit of gameplay because you don't agree with them is stupid because I had to do a ton of work to stay within my bounds of the gameplay rules as well. If I went "F**k the rules. FREEDOM!" my levels in MB2 would be vastly different from what they are today, and actually probably for the worse. That isn't saying my levels are perfect because they aren't and that is why I am redoing almost all of them for EC but I can't just go outside the rules the others set for me and I set for myself. There are plenty of articles about restricting yourself game design wise and how that is beneficial to what you are creating.

Regardless of these things, which I've twice now said let's put aside, I think the dev decision to hard-code the timer was very bad. Regardless of intent, it had the effect of alienating a rather significant percentage of players at the time, on top of, as I've previously explained, not being necessary at all. It was a non-issue at the time, and I don't remember anybody complaining that the timer wasn't hardcoded. The complaints only started rolling in after the timer was hard-coded. I think it was a bad restriction to implement and whether the people who implemented it were pro RP or not, the effect of their decision lead to many players leaving the game and feeling like the MBII community hated them because they liked to RP. As said before, we lost a big chunk of playerbase because of this decision and I am questioning how it could possibly, in retrospect, have been a good idea to lock it into a 5 minute timer WHEN the servers at the time already had 5 minute timers. It's like adding a redundancy that fixes nothing, but breaks a certain part of the game and thus prompts a bunch of people to stop playing. Then after the fact, people justify it by saying 'we need to restrict gameplay'. Reality doesn't conform to that sentiment. It didn't at the time, and I am sure if time limits were removed tomorrow, server owners wouldn't magically go and change all their servers to 10 minute round timers.

Find me any argument against allowing up to 60 minutes per round for duel servers? Anything that doesn't have to do with coding? I think its impossible. And I kind of feel the same way when it comes to open mode. It makes more sense to me if mappers were able to tie time limits to their maps instead so that a map like the old JT you mentioned, could have an increased timer or something. But all of these things are digressions from the main point, which is that the decision was stupid at the time and that the reasoning behind the decision was irrelevant, regardless of who hated RP'ers and who didn't. The outcome was a drop in playerbase and a stifling of the influx of RPers from other communities who would RP in MBII, get interested in the gameplay and transition to open mode and duel players. I think it brought about many negative consequences, and I cannot see a single positive thing that came from the decision. So regardless of motivations, I stand by my statement that I think it was a stupid decision, perhaps the most stupid decision the dev team ever made.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
The complaints only started rolling in after the timer was hard-coded..

False, a community member complaint, as I have told you in past debates, is how we found out that the hard-coded limit was broken.

Find me any argument against allowing up to 60 minutes per round for duel servers? Anything that doesn't have to do with coding? I think its impossible.

I said myself in the other thread, that the current iteration of Duel Mode has no reason to have a time limit. However, I would prefer redesigning duel mode so it is actually a proper duel mode (IE Chivalry Tournament style as an example with our own changes) would be better. If duel mode was to be changed, I would rather it go that route.

Then after the fact, people justify it by saying 'we need to restrict gameplay'. Reality doesn't conform to that sentiment..

It does conform to that, and there are plenty of game development resources out there that will tell you such. Continuing to ignore that fact isn't helping you. Sorry to say that reality does not agree with you on this. There are books, articles, and even youtube videos arguing that restricting gameplay to a point is beneficial to developers and players. Obviously I don't have links to every article, every youtube video or book I have read on the subject, but I know that I have read into it far more than you have. So please stop with this unfounded argument.

Limits are the Foundation of any Good Game

Fundamentals of Game Design

Constrained Creative Play
If the player may create only within artificial constraints imposed by the rules, her activity is called constrained creative play. Constraining creativity may sound undesirable, but in reality it just provides a structure for the players creativity.

Even most physical sports that have been around for centuries have scoring or time related restrictions.

Process of designing a level: Level design - Wikipedia
Determining environmental conditions and "ground rules" such as day/night, weather, scoring systems, allowable weapons or gameplay types, time limits, and starting resources

The MB team wanted all levels to have the same ruleset, so what?

Make a Better Game – Limit the Player

Okay, okay, I know what you’re saying.

“Limiting the player makes a better game? Are you crazy? Games should have fewer limits, not more!”

Players should always feel like they have options – but having limitless options is definitely not a good thing.

Last edited:

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
False, a community member complaint, as I have told you in past debates, is how we found out that the hard-coded limit was broken.

I said myself in the other thread, that the current iteration of Duel Mode has no reason to have a time limit. However, I would prefer redesigning duel mode so it is actually a proper duel mode (IE Chivalry Tournament style as an example with our own changes) would be better. If duel mode was to be changed, I would rather it go that route.

It does conform to that, and there are plenty of game development resources out there that will tell you such. Continuing to ignore that fact isn't helping you. Sorry to say that reality does not agree with you on this. There are books, articles, and even youtube videos arguing that restricting gameplay to a point is beneficial to developers and players. Obviously I don't have links to every article, every youtube video or book I have read on the subject, but I know that I have read into it far more than you have. So please stop with this unfounded argument.

Lul, calling me uninformed while pretending you're not. You admitted yourself you were a young noob at the time and I was deep into the RP community with many friends there. I don't know the dev side though, but I didn't see any complaints. And regardless, any complaints made were obviously dumb. As I said before, just because games have game modes with locked timers like CSGO, doesn't mean you have to globally lock the timer like you've done. CSGO hasn't done that. There's a huge difference between global restrictions and local game mode related restrictions. CSGO still caters to the casual audience by being free, customizable, very moddable with KZ, Surf, Bhop, 1v1, aim, retakes, duels, DM, team DM.... MBII has open mode locked, duel mode locked, FA which isn't played very often, and semi FA which is dumb and not played. Global lock is dumb. A lock on open mode makes sense and I don't mind that. But locking time limits on FA is just plain stupid, since FA classes can have respawns and the maps can be different too, again leading me to pointing out that map by map restriction also makes more sense than the current global restriction. The problem for the RP'ers was global time lock. If you'd locked open mode to 5 minutes, but allowed FA and duel mode to have customizable time limits, this would've been just fine. Heck, I'm all for locking open mode time to 5 minutes, don't really give a fuck about it. I'm mostly interested in FA unrestricted time and duel mode unrestricted.

Trying to dismiss my reasonable arguments by attempting to label me an ignoramus is doing nothing for you, believe me.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
How about you read my post aswell then, so that you may discover that I am not arguing against restrictions in the sense you seem to be implying.

You have for years. This is the first time you mention this. If the MB2 team wants to focus on open mode and modes similar, then let them. You can disagree with the restrictions however you want, continue saying they're a mistake, they're delusional, illogical, etc. We set the ruleset for the game, and that is that. If you want something different, go ahead and make it.

Time limit is a perfectly valid gameplay limiter, enough said. The only reasons for removing it is to support a gametype we don't plan on supporting at all. Let us focus on the gametypes we want to support.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
You have for years. This is the first time you mention this. If the MB2 team wants to focus on open mode and modes similar, then let them. You can disagree with the restrictions however you want, continue saying they're a mistake, they're delusional, illogical, etc. We set the ruleset for the game, and that is that. If you want something different, go ahead and make it.

Time limit is a perfectly valid gameplay limiter, enough said. The only reasons for removing it is to support a gametype we don't plan on supporting at all. Let us focus on the gametypes we want to support.

So when you've lost the argument you're suddenly part of the dev team and tell me to shut up and bear it and not argue anymore cuz you're suddenly the authority and I'm not allowed to say It was a dumb decision that was bad for the game? Also, you've probably misunderstood my argument for years if you're only now bringing these things up. I have never argued against restrictions, but against the time limit being hard-coded. Specifically this, not the general concept of restrictions in games. Stop misconstruing my arguments please.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
So when you've lost the argument you're suddenly part of the dev team and tell me to shut up and bear it and not argue anymore cuz you're suddenly the authority and I'm not allowed to say It was a dumb decision that was bad for the game? Also, you've probably misunderstood my argument for years if you're only now bringing these things up. I have never argued against restrictions, but against the time limit being hard-coded. Specifically this, not the general concept of restrictions in games. Stop misconstruing my arguments please.

The dev team said they don't want to do it already. Jorge, Viserys, Spag, Tempest etc. I am just reiterating what they said.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
The dev team said they don't want to do it already. Jorge, Viserys, Spag, etc. I am just reiterating what they said.

Yes, but just because they said they don't want to do it, doesn't mean I can't have my opinion. I'm never forcefully asking the team to change things. For example when I am talking with tempest on steam about saber changes, I always just make suggestions and share my thoughts. I'm not directly telling people to change things, but proposing reasonable arguments for why you might want to change this or that thing. The approach here has been similar. I don't make these posts because I naively think the dev team will suddenly change or put manpower into redoing the code, but because it's principle and my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.