COOP Server, Bot Mapping, and my ramblings.

Hello,
I am KryoTronic, a Star Wars fan, father, and Computer Technician. I have made VERY few and VERY simple mods in the past for State of Decay 1 & 2. I have hosted many servers over the years and don't have any issues with networking nor am I scared of learning new things. Recently my daughter, 5, has been constantly begging to play Star Wars with me. The only Star Wars game I play, generally, is MB2. So I have played with her a bit over the past few weeks on the Casual Server and a few others. She has had a BLAST but she is 5 after all and can be somewhat of a teamkiller in a populated server. Regardless she and I have been having a blast playing together and I would like to host a server for me and her to play on.

I know there is a server hosting tutorial, many mapping tutorials, and even tutorials on Bot Mapping so I will try not to ask a ? that has already been answered. I know COOP is something that has been talked about, shut down, discussed again and then called near impossible. And I understand why which is why I am not asking for the devs to implement this.

I don't really need smart bots, just targets for her and I to shoot at. The Geonosis Arena map is her favorite because she gets to shoot at the "monsters." So honestly if I just hosted a server with an edited version of any map and added those monsters it would suffice. I don't know that I have the skills or time to commit to rewriting the AI engine or create bot routes for every MB2 map but I think I can at least figure out how to make some dumb AI monsters for us to kill.

I guess my question now is do I need botroutes for maps like Arena? Or do I simply need to edit a map like that and add more creatures? My assumption is that botroutes are just for AI that are on the enemy team, or any team for that matter. If I did attempt to create some bot routes would they go in the MB2 assets0\botroutes\mp folder and would the launcher overwrite them?

I have also heard that bots can heavily lag an MB2 server because of everything going on. I believe it was mentioned that it fills up the memory and the server will crash. I am willing to do the troubleshooting to find a happy medium and regardless of if I get a response I am going to attempt this. Any suggestions or answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I am not beating the horse to much here but I would rather invest time trying this in MB2 then not trying at all.

P.S.

I didn't try anything yet other than reading some tutorials and installing GTK Radiant so I apologize for my ignorance in advance.

Upvote 0
You want to load the map using devmapall. So you would do as follow

Code:
devmapall MB2_CMP_Arena

You may also need the following command :
Code:
npc spawn
You may find list online. But two easy one are : rebel and stormtrooper.
Now to diversify your encounters, you can find and use the MB2 assets as NPCs.

Navigate to your Jedi Academy folder, then visit GameData/MBII once there, you will find files. "MBAssets.pk3", "MBAssets2.pk3" etc... the "Assets" pk3 files, are what you will need. (Usually in your case, the number 3 of each, uM,CMP,MB2).

Open it with 7zip or any archive software.
Navigate to "MBAssets3.pk3\ext_data\npcs\"

Now you see the *.npc files that MB2 uses.
Do not edit files here, copy a pk3, eraze it's content and make a mod of your own inside it.

if you host localy, you can modify these NPC files, without needing a botroutes. (They will be rather immobile and dumb, but im sure your daughter will be busy enough not to notice!)

Have a good day, and alot of fun!

Omg awesome! Thanks so much I really appreciate it!

EDIT: We just played for about an hour or so and she had a blast! Thanks so much!

Last edited:

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I know it's not co-op, but: Star Wars: Movie Duels mod

You can make any Star Wars scenario you want and turn on all the possible cheats. I'd say it's good fun. I used to love doing that back when I was 12. Wish I'd had Movie Duels back then :)

Open Jedi Project is another option: Open Jedi Project Enhanced mod

I remember it being possible to play online co-op through the Base JKA missions, so if you have two machines, you're good to go. ;)

Thanks a bunch for all the replies everyone! She has really been enjoying killing the dumb ass bots lmao

I will give OJPE a chance too. I had heard of it but never gave it a shot for some reason so thank you!

Anyone know when the new missions will become available like the rotj Vader vs luke battle, Vader vs luke on bespin pretty much all the missions that say coming soon or unavailable