Community Manager Position

i didn't read the thread at all and i know just what to say to piss off as many people as possible so that means i'm a perfect fit for the position

i thought the community manager's job is to update social media fanpages and organize special events
50px-Twemoji2_1f914.svg.png

Last edited:

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
i thought the community manager's job is to update social media fanpages and organize special events

Nah, in actual games they're very much a shield and a filter as well. Shielding the devs from harassment that isn't directly at them, and also filtering out useful feedback from threads and redirecting to developers to save their time.

Last edited:

Torlo50

Internal Beta Team
@MaceMadunusus This whole thread was suppose to be getting out the things a community manager would need to do to be a shield and filter. If we lay out stuff, then someone taking the job can have clearer instructions, to hopefully better ourselves (MB2). Thank you for simplifying the concept, since I probably wouldn't have put it so eloquently. I''m just gonna nab that sentence for the OP. Not for the list per say, but to help describe it.

A community manager isn't going to magically fix the problems. The Developers obviously will read the threads and peoples opinions along with them and still feel uninspired while the same vocal players, some of which who are really good at this game, will continue to voice their opinions without the technical knowledge of how large of a project this actually is and how to magically 'fix' all the problems.

There is no win/win here - there is clearly an issue with both sides refusing to even accept that there might be merit in one each opinion(s). Mace, I personally can appreciate your maps and the hard work you do (As a mapper & C++ dev myself working far outside of JKA) but I think you've said it yourself that you are not a P.R guy - your non-existent filter fans flames for better or worse and in this case it has been worse. Something I learned a long, long time ago that might help you is this: It isn't what you say; it's how you say it.

Anyways, on the other hand to some of the vocal players - I haven't seen the code first hand so I can't really comment but having worked with similarly large projects it is important to understand that it isn't a matter of just flipping a switch or changing a light bulb. Developing code, whether BAD or GOOD takes a lot of effort and time - not only to implement it but also testing it, etc, etc. So naturally when someone doesn't like a change and the Dev reads, "This is shit." - whether you're right or not, it doesn't exactly make anybody want to jump for joy into fixing it. It doesn't mean you have to be a chef to say that the food tastes like crap. But if you value yourself in this tiny little community then understand you should try to work with the Dev's rather then against them. Nobody wants to listen to someone calling them a waste of space all day - even if they are.

So I dunno. I'm just a casual player around here. Saw the threads popping up all over so I thought i'd chime in. Peace!

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
your non-existent filter fans flames for better or worse and in this case it has been worse. Something I learned a long, long time ago that might help you is this: It isn't what you say; it's how you say it.

Thing is, how I said it was perfect. It wasn't diplomatic but it was the truth. It made less than a handful of people angry, but that is what the truth usually does. Everything I did was intentional and I was taking a risk with that intention. And so far it seems to have paid off in getting the conversation going. It has caused far more people to be sympathetic of what the developers go through than it has backlash. Without doing what I did, the thread would have died off, not gotten the attention it needed from everyone. People were reminded that developers are not only human but we are a part of the community as well with the same goals as everyone: Making MB2 better and better. We might not always land on the mark but I believe the more logical members of the community have responded perfectly to everything going on recently.

Those logical members of the community reached out to the development team, and have been trying multiple avenues that they can to help out. Whether that be starting communication here on the forums in threads like these, giving encouragement to developers through PMs, applying for community manager positions, or just giving better feedback in general.

I am proud & thankful of the multiple developers that I saw standing up for themselves and other developers. I am proud & thankful of the community members who recognized and understood what we were all trying to do. I am thankful to the several members of the community that I have seen already giving the team much better feedback than they did a week ago. I always want to see well written feedback even if you dislike something.

Sometimes when fighting a forest fire you need to do a controlled burn to save things down the road. We've already seen the positive results, and I believe if I didn't do what I did we wouldn't even be as far as we are right now because I don't believe threads like this one would have existed without it. I believe if I took the diplomatic route that we have tried countless times through multiple teams, leaders, and years, the result would have been the same as what got things to be as bad as they were. Sometimes, things are more than that what they are on the surface. To be honest, it was actually really cool to see a few people who actually understood what I was doing from the get-go and even messaged me about it. Kudos to those people. Lets continue the forward momentum.