•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue Can't run the game because of the launcher

Hi!

I've been trying to make this mod work on linux for a few hours on 2 days now, and I can't get it to work. OpenJK crashes, and mb2 too.
I finally gave up on running it on linux by running the mbii.x86.exe binary using wine, which turned out to work perfectly fine!

Then I saw that the master server list was empty, and learnt I had to use the launcher. The problem is: the launcher doesn't work on linux, and it seems like it's a known issue. But I can't seem to access any server even via direct connection on console if I don't use the launcher. Why is the launcher necessary? Is there a simple way to avoid using it? Are you mining bitcoin?

Also, are there any linux guides that are not 3/4 years old?

Thanks.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Hi!

I've been trying to make this mod work on linux for a few hours on 2 days now, and I can't get it to work. OpenJK crashes, and mb2 too.
I finally gave up on running it on linux by running the mbii.x86.exe binary using wine, which turned out to work perfectly fine!

Then I saw that the master server list was empty, and learnt I had to use the launcher. The problem is: the launcher doesn't work on linux, and it seems like it's a known issue. But I can't seem to access any server even via direct connection on console if I don't use the launcher. Why is the launcher necessary? Is there a simple way to avoid using it? Are you mining bitcoin?

Also, are there any linux guides that are not 3/4 years old?

Thanks.

The linux guides should be accurate despite their age. Launcher and Windows Emulation via WINE (Or any other emulator) are not required.

I found how to make it work by crossing your forum answers.

I just needed to move everything from my GameData folder to ~/.local/share/openjk after installing MBII using the command line installer linked there
Then I enabled the mod in OpenJK.

To all my Linux fellas, don't take is an option when they say you should use OpenJK. You HAVE to.

Thanks for all the answers in the different forum posts!

Last edited: