Armor Overhaul

All right, let's get into the meat of it. The way armor is handled currently, leaves some people feeling it is useless. Sometimes it's hard to gauge how much the armor will actually protect you, and whether getting a specific level or not is worth it. The semi-dynamic way of armor reduction doesn't help this either ( assuming the armor code didn't change too, too much from basejka ).

I propose a somewhat simple change to how it works: First, the purchase of ANY level of armor gives you the FULL amount of armor. For example, a Soldier with any level of armor would have 35 armor. Second, the level of armor selected gives you a fixed rate of damage absorption. Examples, below.

Armor amount : 35 ( soldier )
Level 1: 1 / 3 reduction. 15 damage taken, armor is now 20. 1 / 3 of 15 is 5, remainder is 10. Player loses 10 health.
Level 2: 1 / 2 reduction. 15 damage taken, armor is now 20. 1 / 2 of 15 is 7.5, remainder is 7.5. Player loses 7.5 health. ( Would probably be rounded to integers )
Level 3: 1 / 1 reduction. 15 damage taken, armor is now 20. Reduction is 1 to 1, Player loses no health.

The reduction values could be tweaked as needed, but the point is the same: There is no longer any mystery as to whether or not an armor level is really worth it for a build, as it's fairly easy for players to calculate.

Comments? Opinions? Discuss.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
Would obviously require tweaking to classes' max armor values and armor level costs, but I kind of like it. Very straightforward and doesn't have any mystery behind the scenes mechanics. Could also use a visual indicator (different armor bar colors perhaps) so people don't buy armor levels and think they're not getting anything.

Not sure if it would be worth all the required armor value/cost rebalancing though.

Complete waste of time simply for the sake of making things clear for people who can't read a wiki page, read the library, or ask in chat.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
Complete waste of time simply for the sake of making things clear for people who can't read a wiki page, read the library, or ask in chat.
Reading a wiki or library won't help since the information isn't there. Asking in chat also generally won't help since most players don't know how armor works.

I don't even remember:)

And really, is it that relevant? So you know how much dmg you might be able to tank. So what?
You can't predict how many of your opponent's shots are going to hit so whats the point other than, hmmm, I can math.

Never been a fan of crunching the numbers. Just enjoy the damn game you nerds!

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee!

Never tell me the odds.

Well, this pretty much ^. There's no point in really counting damage values since you're supposed to avoid shots to begin with. It might be useful to count how much something should deal damage to a certain part, but now you should also consider that even if you clarify how armor works, or even if you know how much damage armors tank (I think it's either 1.4, 1.5 or 1.8), there's still separate multipliers for different body parts. If anything, you're far better off learning what weapons to what body parts do not OHKO.

The way it works now is extremely simple. You have armor points, and they defend your HP bar from damage, and the more points you have the more damage you can take. Very simple. Nothing glamorous so that modern gamers can feel like this old ass mod is trying to be visually polished.